UK Book Club discussion

Genre Challenge 2020-22 > Introduction to the Genre Challenge 2020

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz, Moderator (last edited May 20, 2020 02:25AM) (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
Hi all,
So June will see us start the genre challenge once again! Please join us as we explore beyond our regular comfort zones. You can join us for the long haul, or dip in occasionally, whichever you prefer.

Last time around the list included:

Historical
Magical-realism
Crime/detective (includes true crime)
Classic novels (pre 20thC)
Modern British classics (20thC/kitchen sink)
American 20thC classics
Travel/exploration
Non-fiction/self-help
Sci-Fi/distopian
Horror/gothic/ghost-story
Fantasy/folklore
Biography/memoir
LBGTQ
Psychiatry/madness
Young Adult/New adult/Children's
Romance/Erotica
Short stories
Espionage/spy
Cult/Chemical fiction
War/revolution
Poetry
Comedy/humour
Award-winning (Booker, Orange, Pulitzer)
Western
Graphic novels
Literary adaptations (books that have been adapted for the screen)

That's 26 genres in total and yes, we've combined a few to simplify things and keep the challenge to just over two years.

So, we'll tackle a different genre every month. It's up to you what books you choose and how many for each genre - one is enough, but don't let me stop you if you want to read more of your favourites.

As to which genre and when...? First time around we voted, but the problem was that all the unpopular choices were left until the later stages of the challenge, which made it far harder. So last time around we used a random generator, which I think worked much better, but what do you think?

If you're happy to stick with the random arrangement, I will go ahead and spin the virtual wheel to see what our first genre should be!

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 331 comments Randomness works for me.

message 3: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1313 comments Mod
Yep, random's good. :)

message 4: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 331 comments By the way, Liz, thanks for putting in the time and thought on these challenges! They're fun and help expose me to books I might not otherwise read.

message 5: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
Abigail wrote: "By the way, Liz, thanks for putting in the time and thought on these challenges! They're fun and help expose me to books I might not otherwise read."

Thank you. I enjoy doing it :)

message 6: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
Nicola wrote: "Agree with this. I'll join although I think I've yet to finish one :)
"

Ha ha - The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak ;)

message 7: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
So what genre will we be starting with this time around? *Drumroll as Liz pulls back the red velvet curtain to reveal...*

Award-winning books (Booker, Costa, Pulitzer, Hugo etc.)

I will go ahead and set up the thread.

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark (richie0110) Hi,

Thanks for organising this! I am new to Goodreads - had an account for a while but never really used it. I'm looking to read a wider variety of books so am excited to get started!

message 9: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
You are welcome, Mark.

message 10: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
July is just around the corner, so it's time to spin the virtual wheel and see what genre we will be tackling....

*Big sigh* This one's the toughest for me - poetry! I'd better set up the new thread...

message 11: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
It will be August next week, so time to see what genre we have in store (and I haven't read my poetry yet!)

So for August we have: The Western. I will set up the new thread :)

message 12: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
As we plunge into September, the genre will be... Modern British classics (20thC/kitchen sink). I will set up the new thread...

message 13: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
With October around the corner, it's time to flag up the next genre.

And with Halloween at the end of the month, it is of course: Horror/Gothic &/or Ghost Stories!

message 14: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
Would you believe it - November is just around the corner! Time to announce our next genre: Young Adult and / or Children's Fiction.

I will go ahead and set up the new thread...

message 15: by Helen (new)

Helen (cooksbooks78) | 42 comments Thanks for letting me join I am attempting to catch up and looking forward to reading with you all.

message 16: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
Happy for you to join us , Helen. Have fun!

message 17: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1313 comments Mod
Are we taking a break from the list and tackling Christmas/Winter reads for December? Just a thought as its worked well in the past...

message 18: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
Yes, I was about to suggest Christmas/Winter reads for December. 'Tis the season and all that ;)

message 19: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
I'll set up the thread tomorrow...

message 20: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
February is such a short month - it will be March already next week! I have just spun the virtual wheel to select next month's genre and it's Sci-Fi/Dystopian fiction. I will go ahead and set up the thread.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura | 71 comments I am a bit late the genre challenge, can I still join?

Also are re-reads allowed or does it have to be a book that's new to us?

message 22: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1313 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge Laura, its a jump in at anytime arrangement! Any books are fine as long as they fit the genre (although sometimes they can be a loose fit!) and re-reads are definitely OK.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura | 71 comments Thank you so much!! I'll definitely be joining the challenge for sure

message 24: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
The genre for April is going to be.......

20thC American classics. I will go ahead and post the thread.

message 25: by Lea (new)

Lea | 1 comments I’ll definitely give it a go, already read 6 books this year.

message 26: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
Wow! It's almost September. I have just spun the virtual wheel and the genre for next month will be: Graphic Novels.

I will set up the new thread later...

message 27: by Kerrie (new)

Kerrie | 2 comments Thanks for letting me into your reading room :) I'm looking forward to stepping out of my comfort zone.

message 28: by Kerrie (new)

Kerrie | 2 comments Thanks for letting me into your reading room :) I'm looking forward to stepping out of my comfort zone.

message 29: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
You are very welcome, Kerrie. Take a look at the threads to see what we've already covered. Graphic novels this month and I'm still waiting for mine to be ready at the library...

message 30: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
Aaargh! It's December tomorrow - how on earth did that happen? Just checking you'd like to do a festive &/or winter read this coming month?

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura | 71 comments I personally don’t mind; if people would prefer it that’s fine but I’m okay with any genre that comes up when the wheel is spun

message 32: by Helen (new)

Helen (cooksbooks78) | 42 comments Yes I am good with festive/winter reads this month. Thanks Liz for organising this group it has really kept me exploring books that would not necessarily have been read. Thank you all for great chats and comments. Hope you all have a fantastic time over the holidays (whatever that looks like for you), look forward to continuing our reading journey together next year. Take care everyone