Play Book Tag discussion

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (The Hundred-Year-Old Man, #1)
May 2020: Comedy > The 100 year old man who climbed out the window, by Jonas Jonasson, 3.5

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited May 18, 2020 11:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4979 comments This book wasn't quite what I thought it would be. I thought it would be more heartwarming I suppose. It's more of a slap-stick comedy with some crime, violence, and historical references. I didn't find the characters very likable, but I'd agree that they're quirky, and their exploits were sometimes quite funny. I don't know what it says about me, but my favorite character might be the elephant.

The story is told in alternating chapters, following 1) the present time line (after Alan jumped out the window), and 2) a history of his life. I saw some comments in reviews comparing this to Forrest Gump, but it's only true to the extent that Alan meets some historical leaders in his work as an explosives expert, and sometimes spy. Some of the alternative history was funny.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7232 comments You were more generous than I with stars, and I too thought it would be more heartwarming. I liked the Elephant too-LoL

Jgrace | 2752 comments I think this was a book that benefited from the audio performance. Steven Crossley gave it just the right comedic touch, clearly so absurd that you aren't meant to take it seriously. I enjoyed it.