The Sword and Laser discussion

Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)
This topic is about Magician
Magician: Apprentice > MA: The David Brin connection

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (Taloni) (last edited May 19, 2020 08:50AM) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3909 comments Read through the acknowledgments after the book and included in the "Friday Night Club" was a familiar name: David Brin. My first thought was, wow, Feist got some serious help! Then I checked the publication date on their works. Sundiver was published in 1980, Magician: Apprentice in 1982. So Brin wasn't quite "Brin" yet with one book under his belt while Feist was working through Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master.

It's a pretty uncommon name so I figure it has to be "that" Brin. Making me wonder, what exactly was the Friday Night club? Seems like some heavy hitters came out of it.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Morgan (elzbethmrgn) | 274 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Read through the acknowledgments after the book and included in the "Friday Night Club" was a familiar name: David Brin. My first thought was, wow, Feist got some serious help! Then I checked the p..."

Wasn't it his D&D group? Midkemia was his custom D&D setting - and Iain noted in another thread all the characters feel like they're fleshing out a character backstory

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments (Psst, I think you meant Sundiver, not Startide Rising)

message 4: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3909 comments I did! Going back to edit...