Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Quarantine Tuesday Reading Kaffeeklatsch 5/19/2020

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (last edited May 18, 2020 11:58PM) (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments It's Tuesday....this must be Belgium!?! That's a reference to a 60s or 70s era movie, one of the stars was Suzanne Pleschette - this was pre-Bob Newhart Show - a comedy set on one of those packaged tours where you were bussed through Europe, a new country everyday, and it all became a blur of being on a bus with strangers.

That's what life feels like right now - an endless passage through foreign lands both at a dizzying pace and stuck in an endless bus trip.

I recommend the movie as a silly bit of nonsense. The gorgeous Pleschette steals it.

Saturday I took a trip to midtwn Manhattan to allow a friend to show me her office as I consider subletting it (it's a third the rent on the space I am in). Office was lovely and I got to visit with my friend, 6 feet apart and both masked, the window open in the office. Liked the office! Loved the visit!

The bus I took went down 5th Avenue the entire length of Central Park, past museums, Plaza Hotel, St. Patrick's, Rockefeller Center (barricaded), all the famous stores like Tiffany and Saks. I got off just past the main building for NYPL. Fifth Avenue was absolutely empty at 2 PM on a beautiful warm Saturday. Not a tourist posing with Patience and Fortitude, the library lions.

Took the bus home up Madison, even emptier. I got back to my neighborhood where I stopped at the supermarket...only 2 or 3 people waiting to get in. Extremely well-stocked and was so impressed with the protective measures taken for employees, and how incredibly good natured they all were.

It feels so familiar, yet not. Like someplace you have known, or thought you knew, but has changed in a subtle and permanent way. Suddenly you are a stranger passing through and gawking.

[On proofing this, I realize how Proustian it is. Oh my.]

message 2: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 104 comments Good morning!

Before I am off to work just a few sentences from me.
I can totally relate, Theresa. It does feel familiar, yet not.
For me at school, it is really weird. Walking around the hallways with the mask. In the classrooms, there are only few tables that stand apart 1.5 metres. Everybody has to sit at their table and cannot change places. I have to run around between two rooms, because my class has been divided in two groups who sit in two rooms. So I try to get one part of the class working, go over to the other room to get work started there, go back, and so on and so on.

And somehow the physical distance and new rules cause a feeling of strangeness, an inner feeling of distance, that I try to overcome to make go away, but I somehow am not successful. The atmosphere in class is not the same, the students feel restrained by the rules, I feel restrained by the rules. I have to be even more concentrated, because I should definitely not be the one who forgets the new rules and just instinctively acts 'normal'. And I have to reprimand the students when they do. Which is not a great job, either. Because I can relate and understand they want to be close to their friends.

Ah, well. It is good to be back, to be able to see some students, to interact, even though the interaction is stinted, feels unsatisfying.

Here in Germany, people are starting to demonstrate against the rules as well. It is a colourful mix of people doing it (like anti-vaccination people, esoterics, conspiracy theories' believers, normal people, ...), mostly keeping their distance. But there are also right-wing extremists who kind of capture some of the demonstrations, use them for their messages, for their own conspiracy theories.
So I got into a discussion the other day with a colleague when he said, that he would demonstrate as well if the rules stayed like this after the summer, and he wouldn't care, who else would be demonstrating with him. I disagreed and said, that I think it is important who you associate with in a demonstration. That did not go down well with him. But I am glad I said it. Because he is kind of a bully, very loud and outspoken and doesn't like being contradicted. It felt good to stand up to him by at least disagreeing and not backing down, when he tried to intimidate me with his demeanor.

Well, now I am off. Have a great day everyone, I can't wait to read about your lives.

message 3: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 104 comments Theresa wrote: "Saturday I took a trip to midtwn Manhattan for a friend to show me her office as I consider subletting it"

Sounds great, Theresa!

message 4: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 525 comments My big news is today I am letting the cleaning people in! I have been paying her for the past 2 months, so when I asked to be the first house of the day, she quickly agreed to that. Now I am trying to figure out where to go while they are here!

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7244 comments @ Theresa-I loved that movie. Speaking of movies, My husband and I were talking the other day and decided we are in movie Groundhog Day. Just a total repeat, every day.

Your description of New York is very sad. I have visited there twice and what excited me the most was the energy of the city. I am glad you got to view that office space. So, do you think you will take it? I hope your cactus will like it ;)

@ Miriam-your new normal at school sounds so difficult. I feel for you and all teachers who are now expected to just step into this "brave new world" and make it work. The demonstrators here in Michigan have become a hodgepodge( American slang for "mix") of different groups too. All with their own agenda.

"That Woman" from Michigan is slowly re-opening the State, The Auto workers (the big employer here) went back to work yesterday. In one way I am happy to see them back, but I am still fearful it is too much too soon. My husband was an electrician for General Motors and he commented that he cannot see how they are going to keep the factories safe. The Northern Counties in the State, that have met the requirements of our 4 plan re-opening, will be opening up this week-end. Tourism is the 2nd largest industry in the State, and this just does not make sense to me. So many down State people travel up there. With Memorial Week-end upon us, and people just crazy to get out, again I fear what is going to happen. Our plans for Memorial Week-end are dead in the water, as the State Parks are not re-opening. My daughter is planning a ZOOM birthday party for me with some of the folks we always camp with, which I will put every once of happy into-but it just won't be the same.

As Miriam said-I look forward to reading everyone's news-

message 6: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3151 comments @Theresa - that movie does sound relatable. And your trip out through NY City sounds pretty surreal. Surprised that even on a beautiful day people are able to stay inside. It gets harder and harder around here it seems for people to abide... but of course there is the blatant disregarding people too.

@Miriam - I returned to work yesterday, but I will work in the office every other day, and it was strange. It is impossible for us to keep our distance but we try as much as possible which is just the strangest damn thing... not to mention the masks which isn't a part of American culture so people are strongly bucking against that. Luckily it is mandated at work so they have no choice if they want to stay employed.

@Joanne - I am also in automotive, so we are slowly getting back up and running. It will be interesting to see how many cars are flying off the lots now that we are "opening" back up the economy. My Sunday scaries were epic on Sunday night as I hadn't been at work for 8 weeks! I was having a freakin panic attack walking into work, just not wanting to be there... but, I think it is important to transition back to some kind of normalcy because of course I won't be working from home forever.

Onward and upward! (while being as mindful and hygienic as I can)

The weird thing is I wasn't ready to go to a restaurant yet, but then I think if I am exposed anyway at work why not be exposed doing something enjoyable with people I actually like... so I am torn about the level of "getting out" I am ready to engage in.

message 7: by Joanne (last edited May 19, 2020 07:06AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7244 comments @ Meli, I was wondering , as you had said it was going to happen, if you had gone back to your office. You say only every other day-have they split the staff, is that why it is only every other? I can fully embrace your panic attack. Although I miss getting out to more than a grocery store, I just am not ready to do that. And all this talk about a resurgence in the Fall....ugh

message 8: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3151 comments Joanne wrote: "@ Meli, I was wondering , as you had said it was going to happen, if you had gone back to your office. You say only every other day-have they split the staff, is that why it is only every other? I ..."

Yeah, we have staggered schedules so some people (in the office at least) are M W F and others are T Th. But then we switch each week so next week I will be T Th. Kinda of a cluster, but better than being in there everyday and like I said I need to go back because I am enjoying being home too much!

message 9: by Robin P (last edited May 19, 2020 08:22AM) (new)

Robin P | 1452 comments Joanne wrote: "@ Theresa-I loved that movie. Speaking of movies, My husband and I were talking the other day and decided we are in movie Groundhog Day. Just a total repeat, every day.

Your description of New Yo..."

NY Times movie reviewers have been doing a regular column on older movies since there aren't new ones in theaters. One of the first ones was Groundhog Day for exactly the reason you gave. Some of us went through the same stages during this last 2 months as Bill Murray's character, for example hedonism ("I'll just eat anything I want, the heck with my diet!"), anger, reckless behavior, etc. I guess the message of that movie is that the only thing we can change is our own behavior and attitude, and how we interact with others.

message 10: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1493 comments @Theresa - I'm so glad you like your possibly new offices! It's interesting to hear your perspective of NY. I spent some time growing up in NJ and went into the city a lot and it just sounds so surreal. I'm sure Seattle is similar here. I checked out the Center for Fiction and it looks like there is a wealth of knowledge there that I'm excited to start tapping into.

@Miriam - It sounds like you guys at least some sort of plan in place. To Joanne's point, it's such a mixed bag here with each state or rather school system doing their own thing. Some are taking precautions and some aren't.

@Joanne - I watched Today show yesterday and they highlighted the procedures and things that have been put into place to be able to open the Ford factory there and I always wonder how much is it enforce or used, probably echoing your husband's sentiments a bit.

@Meli - I think I would be having a panic attack right along with you if I was in your shows. I also have a friend who is on a staggered work schedule at her office on an Army base in GA. I'm not going to lie, I have so much gratitude that I'm not in that position and my heart really goes out to you all that are.

Washington is one of the states on the extreme slower side of opening. We are still on phase 1 but I looked and our phase 1 is WAY more conservative that say Florida's phase 1. Florida's phase 1 is comparable to Washington's phase 2. What's interesting to me is that Florida has opened restaurants and many other things but a friend of mine who is a civilian worker for the Navy there received an email from the Navy that basically said that even though some states may be opening up, Navy workers are restricted from participating and need to continue to stay home and take safe measures. I've been watching the numbers and I know that it is still too early to really tell what impact opening will have on the Covid cases, FL has already been trending up.

I express gratitude daily that I quit when I did, that I'm working as an independent consultant now and don't have to go into and office. That this has given me time to play and find new things that I enjoy. I feel extremely fortunate to live in a place were our government feels similarly about a more conservative and slow open. I can easily, although guiltily, say that I'm happier now that I've been for literal years. I needed this pause more than I realized.

That being said, my husband and I are looking at opening back up the Airbnb that we run BUT to try to do it as safe as possible for us and our guests. We've been working with guest currently booked to reschedule further out. We did get a booking for mid-June and blocked the days on either side so we could allow 24 hours before the guest entered or we entered after the fact to clean. Our space is a Tiny House on the other side of our large driveway so we can easily practice social distancing. The two groups that we have booked and coming aren't coming for tourism, one is trying to stay close to where they are training a horse over the summer and the other is trying to get close to visit with their sons.

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7244 comments @ Charlotte, you are the 2nd person I know to voice that they have found out they really needed this pause in their life. Having read what you have endured the last few years, I am joyful for your happiness! The other person is one who has fought 3 different cancers in the last 3 years (she is doing well). The pause, she said, has brought her serenity she has not known in years.

message 12: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1493 comments Joanne wrote: "@ Charlotte, you are the 2nd person I know to voice that they have found out they really needed this pause in their life. Having read what you have endured the last few years, I am joyful for your ..."

I can one hundred percent empathize with her comment and it actually made me teary and gave me goosebumps when I read it. I feel like I've had a transition that I wouldn't necessarily call a mid-life crisis but rather an awakening and relaxation of soul. I picture a phoenix rising from ashes.

I actually think it would be a great blog post if I can figure out the words that I want to use, about happiness at a time when so many are dealing with adversity and struggle and a bit of the guilt that is part of it. You mention your friend and I have a feeling there are others like us in similar mindsets.

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7244 comments Charlotte wrote: "Joanne wrote: "@ Charlotte, you are the 2nd person I know to voice that they have found out they really needed this pause in their life. Having read what you have endured the last few years, I am j..."

It would be a great blog post. I suggest you just pour out your heart at the first draft-and edit from there-

message 14: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2191 comments Today I went back to bowling. Our league was short 5 games to finish the season. So the lanes opened up and we were invited to finish off the season with social distancing. They put us every other lane, but if you know league bowling, that still means the possibility of 8 people on a set of two lanes, then two lanes open and repeat. I wasn't sure how it would work out. Turns out, lots of people didn't come, they may be away for the summer, or not ready to participate and that included the whole team we were supposed to play against. Soooo, my team only had two players, me and one other and we were easily social distanced. I do wear a mask but it was hard to get even that little bit of exercise with it on. We both agreed to forgo the masks and just kept apart.

Being out was sort of fun but this quarantining has brought out the latent introvert in me. I've actually enjoyed the time at home, bonding with my husband, my house, my yard, and exercising my cooking skills. These are things I love and have let slide (except my hubby but we've been married 53 years so we sometimes get too non-communicative!). I actually don't want to rush out and start all those other activities, and I have a lot of them! I'm usually busy with some schedule or another everyday of the week in spite of the fact that I've been retired for 10 years. I finally feel that I really am retired!

I live in FL, and yes, I am concerned about how fast we are opening. Ours is very much a tourist economy, especially in Central FL with all of the theme parks, etc. As I look around, I'm surprised at some of the people who just go about as if there had never been a pandemic, as if everything were completely normal again. Thankfully some are still showing good sense but those others scare me. We'll see, I'm not diving in. One little step at a time and see what happens in 2 or 3 or even 4 weeks. I'm glad I'm retired and don't have to face the work place - especially since I worked in a public library. I can only imagine how they are scrabbling trying to figure out how to keep staff and public safe. That used to be me!

message 15: by Johanne (last edited May 19, 2020 12:31PM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 949 comments Enjoying all your comments.
I´ve had a couple of bad weeks, low energy and feeling low in general. But, things are looking up. Here in my corner of the world there are good news all around: Corona-numbers are looking good, the number of cases are decreasing, phase 2 of reopening began yesterday, meaning libraries opened for restricted services (loan, return, reservations, no use of the library space for other purposes like children´s play area study etc.). BUT my municipality (my bosses´ bosses) decided to only call back a small amount of us library workers for the reopening, we have been helping out with daycares (don´t ask), and I´ve had to continue that while looking at happy librarians reopening everywhere else on social media, and that was really bittersweet. But today we got the message that we can return on monday! I´ve never been so excited to go to work before! About the same time came the news that the bookstores I told you about before that went bankrupt, have been taken over by two different book stores (one is a chain, one is more indie) and are continuing with the same employees and profiles. Those pieces of good news totally revived my energy levels.
Oh yeah, and come monday all my three kids are back at school (still with restrictions, but they´re happy, I´m happy).

message 16: by Joi (last edited May 19, 2020 12:35PM) (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments We in Oregon are also opening up, my works restaurant and lounge are back opening with social distancing and preventative measures in place. Still awaiting the day that I can go back to my normal job instead of the front line- it's been 2 months, and I'm burning out quickly.

We contemplated going to the bar last Friday, when things opened up, but decided against it.

message 17: by Barbara M (last edited May 19, 2020 12:37PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2191 comments Johanne wrote: "Oh yeah, and come monday all my three kids are back at school (still with restrictions, but they´re happy, I´m happy)...."

I've been enjoying so many of the memes that are praising teachers lately! So many have them have been funny but in a very praising way. Teachers will be more respected after this I think. I did a very brief stint at teaching at the high school level while working on my Bachelors. I usually sympathize with most teachers.

message 18: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 949 comments Teachers deserve all the respect!

message 19: by Booknblues (last edited May 21, 2020 09:13PM) (new)

Booknblues | 5503 comments California has some counties with virtually no Covid and then in Southern California there are many cases, so it is opening county by county, once they meet specific requirements. My county, Yolo in the Sacramento valley is about to open, but will reopen with masks still being required.

I'm looking forward to getting back to work, but it may not be until July 1, because of construction which needs to be done on our building.

I've liked this quiet down time, but I have reached my limit.

I can hear by the traffic around that people are on the move more. Our neighbors are having a graduation party for one of their daughters and although there are few people in attendance it was very loud.

message 20: by Theresa (last edited May 19, 2020 04:09PM) (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments Miriam wrote: "Good morning!

Before I am off to work just a few sentences from me.
I can totally relate, Theresa. It does feel familiar, yet not.
For me at school, it is really weird. Walking around the hallwa..."

Good for you standing up to the Bully! And you are so right.

Book Concierge said something that resonated with me during Sunday's Zoom when I mentioned how astounding it is there have not been any protests in NY - state or city - really, especially given how vocal New Yorkers tend to be and in NYC we don't have houses, yards and space around us and inspite of being perceived as a blue state, it is really a very red state except in Federal Elections -- until last year, the NYS Governance (except for the governor from time to time like now) was republican -- for the past 30 years. NYC is blue...). BC said that maybe that's exactly why there are protests elsewhere - because people have houses and yards and more space from each other, the serious negative impact of the virus isn't felt and thus not understood, thus some of the protests. I'm thinking there is truth in that. But the issue, especially lately, is whether that is what's really happening in these protests. Turning up armed is not exactly a protest about Shelter at Home. It's twisting the purpose, the message. Takes me back to the 60s and 70s when peaceful antiwar and civil rights protests became more violent, groups promoting a more radical means of protest, like the Black Panthers, begain to branch off. There are those in my generation that were arrested and spent time in jail because they participated in a protest that was supposed to be peaceful but in reality was being used by the radical fringe to make their points with violence - bombs being set off around the fringes.

It is very important to know who you are affiliating with and what their intentions are when participating in a protest.

message 21: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments Shelly wrote: "My big news is today I am letting the cleaning people in! I have been paying her for the past 2 months, so when I asked to be the first house of the day, she quickly agreed to that. Now I am trying..."

I am soooo jealous!

message 22: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments 'A Fall Resurgance' - whoever used those words here today is spot on. Sadly, instead of La Rentree being a cultural life and social life resurgance in the fall (as that term means in France), it is going to be a viral resurgance.

Last night I had a conversation with a respiratory therapist in upstate NY who is convinced that there will be one. He's in a county that didn't have high numbers, and is one of the first to have entered phase 1 reopening. I've personally been convinced there will be one. This total stranger's comment (well, stranger to me -- works with my sister) just cemented my own personal sentiments, agenda and timeline.

Office - I am definitely going to move to a new office space this summer. If my friend decides not to give up her office after all, there is another one available in the same suite. And today, when I was at my office, my of my suite mates said there is another office available in her new suite (she was supposed to move into her new space in April...which of course did not happen). I believe in signs from the universe; even without having to look actively, 3 possible spaces at incredibly reasonable rents have come my way.

See what happens when you stop boxing yourself in, limiting your options in your own mind? You get presented with gifts from the universe! 🌞

Also, having made a couple of major career transitions that required a leap of faith - mostly in myself - and leaving what was familiar, routine, comfortable in its way, to venture into the unknown, I know that the biggest hurdle we have is ourselves and our own uncertainties -- fear of unknown, fear of failure, fear of all kinds, lack of confidence in oneself. Rarely is it really a fear of the situation or the conditions into which we are venturing.

Let's take my trips to the office as an example. I really am staying in my apartment, with occasional trips outside for a walk or to sit on a bench in the park to read - far from others. I take the garbage out, have done laundry - but time it for when others unlikely to be around. My only real ventures anywhere have been to the office and any pharmacies or groceries or convenience stores I visit on those ventures to the office. And those ventures require my taking the bus. I will admit to extreme nervousness the first couple of times I went. Remember I'm only going about once a week. But I noticed that getting on the bus isn't so nervous-making any longer. People are masked, respectful, helpful (climbing in the rear doors practically requires a crane for some of us!), and keep to themselves. Most are reading as they travel. Being in my office is fine, and the stores I have been too have not been crowded or busy. Again people are respectful for the most part, observing the precautions. I find it to be almost routine after just 2 or 3 weeks. I believe that will happen to all as they ease back into time in the office however that is being staged.

Restaurant dining - I miss it terribly but I don't see myself eating out any time soon - not inside anyway. Besides, in NY, restaurants are the last stage I believe and NYC hasn't even reached stage 1 yet. Frankly, I believe the Fall Resurgence will hit before NYC has reached phase 4 reopening.

Attitude is key. Acceptance is key - not just to change, or to new circumstances, but also to one's own weakness and needs. I occasionally use the Calm app even though meditation isn't something I have ever succeeded in bringing into my life. I am substituting music for television so I read more. I even am using music as background while working because it can be too quiet in my apartment compared to an office. My eating habits have been bad lately but now improving again (chips and dip for lunch and dinner? time for some salads!).

Most importantly, I'm cutting myself slack and not letting clients dictate how fast I can get certain projects done. For them it's attempting to exert control when so much in their lives is out of their control. For me is I need to maintain control over my owner life and work as I know best how long something is going to take me and how urgent the project really is. Managing others, managing myself, forgiving others, forgiving myself, enjoying the little things in life. Those are some of the reminders this time is giving me.

In some ways I don't feel I've slowed down at all. My work is just as busy if not more so than before. I keep having to skip things I'd like to participate in because of real work. Part of my learning curve is not letting the increase in work take over any part of the free time I have due to nothing on my social calendar until July 2021 (well except PBT Zoom Meetings and 2 more Proust meetings). I'd like to feel a sense of slowing!

But yet...I have found time to do a little tiny bit of spring cleaning, and I have made a point of calling to check in on family and friends, as well as just send postcards and notes (from my huge stash of note cards and postcards, many collected from travels around the world) that are essentially just saying "HI I'm Fine". Plus finding a mailbox to mail them gives me an excuse for another damn pandemic walk!

It is really wonderful that so many are slowing down. Taking walks rather than driving off somewhere to do something. Having family dinners. Playing board games and doing puzzles together. Family movie nights complete with popcorn. Cooking together. Simplifying celebrations (maybe those over the top kid birthday parties given every year will fall by the wayside as they should).

Love the conversation! Delighted so many are participating, sharing, from all over the world.

Happy Birthday, dear Joanne! Cakes, champagne, ice cream and love are wished to you!

message 23: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1441 comments Joanne, I agree that the timing of easing some restrictions in northern counties is a bit odd. I wish Whitmer had waited until after the holiday weekend. There's a hair cutting protest tomorrow and there is some weird protest that sounds like a fair planned for the 31st. I'm just hoping all of this doesn't increase cases. I agree with Theresa that unfortunately a second wave is going to come, I just hope it isn't as bad this time but I fear for the worst. A dam burst in mid-Michigan today due to heavy rains just adding to the states problems.
I'm just going day to day and trying not to worry too much about what it will be like when the office reopens.

message 24: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 949 comments Ph it's your birthday Joanne! Congratulations.

message 25: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7244 comments @Johanne and Theresa-not quite yet (26th), but thank you all the same for the wishes.

message 26: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7244 comments A friend on FB just sent this to me and it gave me a laugh:

Subject: Observations from Day 56 of Quarantine!

I hope they give us two weeks notice before sending us back out into the real world. I think we'll all need the time to become ourselves again. And by "ourselves" I mean lose 10 pounds, cut our hair, and get used to not drinking at 9:00 a.m.

New monthly budget: Gas $0, Entertainment $0, Clothes $0, Groceries $2,799.

Breaking News: Wearing a mask inside your home is now highly recommended. Not so much to stop COVI D-19, but to stop eating.

We low maintenance chicks are having our moment right now. We don't have nails to fill and paint, roots to dye, eyelashes to re-mink, and are thrilled not to have to get dressed every day. I have been training for this moment my entire life!

When this quarantine is over, let's not tell some people.

I stepped on my scale this morning. It said: "Please practice social distancing. Only one person at a time on the scale."

Not to brag, but I haven't been late to anything in over 8 weeks.

It may take a village to raise a child, but I swear its going to take a vineyard to home school one.

You know those car commercials where there's only one vehicle on the road? Doesn't seem so unrealistic these days.

They may open things up next month -- I'm staying in until July to see what happens to you all first.

Day 56: The garbage man placed an AA flyer on my recycling bin.

Appropriate analogy: "The curve is flattening, so we can start lifting restrictions now. Or could it be..... "The parachute has slowed our rate of descent, so we can take it off now."

People keep asking: "Is corona virus REALLY all that serious?" Listen y'all, the churches and casinos are closed. When heaven and hell agree on the same thing, it's probably pretty serious.

Never in a million years could I have imagined I would go up to a bank teller wearing a mask and ask for money.

I am home schooling. On the first day, I tried to get this kid transferred out of my class.

I am putting a drink in each room of my house today and am calling it a pub crawl.

Okay, so the schools are closed. Do we drop the kids off at the teacher's house?

For the second part of this quarantine, do we have to stay with the same family or will they relocate us? Asking for myself...

message 27: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 949 comments Hahaha that's so funny and relatable!

message 28: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1493 comments Joanne wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "Joanne wrote: "@ Charlotte, you are the 2nd person I know to voice that they have found out they really needed this pause in their life. Having read what you have endured the last..."

It's up! I feel like it's a post that can keep growing as I explore my happiness more :)

message 29: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7244 comments Charlotte wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "Joanne wrote: "@ Charlotte, you are the 2nd person I know to voice that they have found out they really needed this pause in their life. Having read what you have e..."

message 30: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1493 comments Joanne wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "Joanne wrote: "@ Charlotte, you are the 2nd person I know to voice that they have found out they really needed this pause in their life. Having re..."

Happy almost birthday my fellow Gemini :)

message 31: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1493 comments Theresa wrote: "'A Fall Resurgance' - whoever used those words here today is spot on. Sadly, instead of La Rentree being a cultural life and social life resurgance in the fall (as that term means in France), it is..."

I so agree with you and love, love, love you comments about the Universe. I feel like so many things just fall into place when you leave yourself open for it to happen.

message 32: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 949 comments We have so very much in common Joanne, now add our zodiac sign :)

message 33: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5641 comments Joanne wrote: "A friend on FB just sent this to me and it gave me a laugh:

Subject: Observations from Day 56 of Quarantine!...."

message 34: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7244 comments @ Charlotte AND @ Johanna-Well Happy Birthday Month to you too!

Things just get stranger and stranger between us Johanna-LoL!

message 35: by NancyJ (last edited May 20, 2020 08:28AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4995 comments I have a new cleaning person - my husband! Yesterday he pulled out all the appliances in the kitchen and cleaned the floors, walls, etc. He did this all while I was sleeping! I feel a little guilty that I was still sleeping because I stayed up reading the night before.

message 36: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7244 comments NancyJ wrote: "I have a new cleaning person - my husband! Yesterday he pulled out all the appliances in the kitchen and cleaned the floors, walls, etc. He did this all while I was sleeping! I feel a little guilty..."

Never feel guilty when someone else does the cleaning! 🧡 Did he get the sewing machine running?

message 37: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3151 comments Charlotte wrote: "Joanne wrote: "@ Charlotte, you are the 2nd person I know to voice that they have found out they really needed this pause in their life. Having read what you have endured the last few years, I am j..."

Japan's suicide rate compared to last year has dropped 20% and the speculation is since schools are closed there isn't the stress of going to school / pressure of school work & testing / bullying, many people working from home so no stressful commute and more time with family, so I am not surprised to hear there are people resetting and feeling good about it. Will be life-changing for all and for some in a positive way. Definitely has me rethinking my work situation...

message 38: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1452 comments Joanne wrote: "A friend on FB just sent this to me and it gave me a laugh:

I hope they give us two weeks notice before sending us back out into the real world...."

I love the humor! So happy Trevor Noah and Stephen Colbert kept broadcasting.

As far as New York not protesting, I agree that New Yorkers around the city understand that they work in a shared environment. I also think it makes a difference that Gov. Cuomo was out there every day (including weekends) giving out factual information and emotional support.

message 39: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6926 comments Joanne wrote: "A friend on FB just sent this to me and it gave me a laugh:

I hope they give us two weeks notice before sending us back out into the real world...."

Thanks for the laughs!

On a side note about the seriously funny homeschool joke, IRL I remember reading on the Well Trained Mind (classical education forum, but while pure classical education was a big fail in my house, I did a modified version but the board and later forum were fabulous) a homeschool mother about how she expelled one of her triplets from homeschooling and into a brick an mortars school! I did the same with my Aspie when she was 15, but she hates it when I say that. She doesn't use GR so I'm safe.

message 40: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments I think I'm one of those who is enjoying working from home and in general being at home more - not sure my husband would agree ;)
Just teasing, but he used to have the house mostly to himself as he is a freelance videographer and gig musician who mostly works from home, or in the bars which are now closed - it must be a big change for him to have me here all the time too.

I no longer have a three-hour round trip commute for work, which means a lot more free time for me, but less books read, because I used to do audio books on my commute.

My favorite thing since work-from-home started is that I get to walk with my dog on nearby county park trails on my lunch hour. Being in nature is very soothing for me.

Like Joanne and Rachel N, I live in Michigan.
I live in West Michigan now, but attended middle and high school in Freeland, Michigan, which is about 10 miles from Midland, where the dams failed yesterday. My heart goes out to those who are having to deal with evacuation and loss of homes/property on top of the Covid-19 challenges.

message 41: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8128 comments Kimber wrote: "I think I'm one of those who is enjoying working from home and in general being at home more ...

I no longer have a three-hour round trip commute for work, which means a lot more free time for me, but less books read, because I used to do audio books on my commute.
..."

Yes. Yes. And Yes. This is all me, too.

message 42: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments Joanne wrote: "A friend on FB just sent this to me and it gave me a laugh:

🤣🤣😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

Crying here! While I had seen most, there are new ones there, and seeing all together is hilarious. Having a hard time picking a fave. Might have to try the pub crawl this Friday.

message 43: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments @Robin - your comment on Cuomo is correct. His daily, and truly daily, press conferences are masterful. Calm. Factual. A vit repetitive but something you learn as a lawyer is you have to repeat the message over and over until people...all people..absorb it and think it their own.

He and his team - and family - have broken new ground and innovated as well. One great initiative, because it involves citizen participation and reward, is this competition. Watch and vote:

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/nod... Wear A Mask Campaign.

message 44: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7244 comments Theresa wrote: "Joanne wrote: "A friend on FB just sent this to me and it gave me a laugh:

I hope they give us two weeks notice before sending us back out into ..."

My favorite is the last one...doesn't say much about me, I know😂

message 45: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7244 comments @ Theresa, I voted, and I guess my not being a New Yorker shines through-I voted for "Don't be That Guy" (think it's in last place). I need to contact the person and tell them they should run this one in Michigan. My daughter and I went out in search of meat. fish, chicken..anything..yesterday. We came home with bloody Mary mix, a few choice bottle's of wine and chocolate, and veg, we did get veg. People are out being careless and rude, RUDE I tell you! After the crowds in the 2nd store I need to go home and drink to calm myself.

message 46: by Theresa (last edited May 21, 2020 02:13PM) (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments Joanne wrote: "@ Theresa, I voted, and I guess my not being a New Yorker shines through-I voted for "Don't be That Guy" (think it's in last place). I need to contact the person and tell them they should run this ..."

I am very fond of That Guy myself. But fear too subtle a message to succeed with most. But don't you just love that out of 600+ entries, it made final 5?!

message 47: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6325 comments Discovered last night that my favorite local Greek restaurant has reopened for delivery! I not only ordered dinner, but also a salad for lunch today.

Have you ever noticed how much better salads made by others taste?

message 48: by NancyJ (last edited May 21, 2020 07:48PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4995 comments Joanne wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "I have a new cleaning person - my husband! Yesterday he pulled out all the appliances in the kitchen and cleaned the floors, walls, etc. He did this all while I was sleeping! I feel ..."

Haha. No, a lot of little pieces just fell apart when he started running it. They were so old. He was looking online for new parts, but I managed to distract him with something else. He's not cut out for retirement. He keeps finding things to do or look into. After all these years, he can still surprise me.

message 49: by NancyJ (last edited May 21, 2020 07:54PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4995 comments Booknblues wrote: "California has some counties with virtually no Covid and then in Southern California there are many cases, so it is opening county by county, once they meet specific requirements. My county, Yolo i..."

There was a birthday party in my neighborhood with a parade of cars and even a fire truck! I hope the birthday kid got to ride in the truck. I hear the fire trucks and beeping cars once in a while, but this is the first time I knew what it was for.

I loved the list of observations. It's really neat to see so many new jokes and creative posts.