What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Terioki Crossing
This topic is about The Terioki Crossing
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. "The crossing------?"An historical adventure set in Russia, in 1917. Four people attempt to flee revolution in St Petersburg, using a dangerous crossing point. The name of this crossing point is in the title of the book. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colin (last edited May 17, 2020 07:28AM) (new) - added it

Colin Rose (colinr) | 9 comments Hello!!

I am attempting to find a book that i first read in the late 1980's (1987-89?) It was a newly published paperback (possibly Pan or Corgi?) and from memory, was the male author's first novel.

The book is set in St Petersburg in the months leading up to the February 1917 revolution.

Two officers in the Imperial Russian army return to the city from the frontline, exhausted and disillusioned by the war. One of the soldiers has been badly injured.

The men become romantically involved with two aristocratic sisters, who live in a large palace in the city.

After various intrigues, revolution breaks out in St Petersburg and the four decide to flee to Finland.

Their journey from St Petersburg takes them to the safest crossing point into Finland and the name of this crossing point is included in the name of the novel.

From memory, the title is either "The crossing at --------" or "The ----------- crossing" or "Crossing at -------" The word "crossing" is definately in the title.

I would appreciate any help in tracking down this book.

Thank you!!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34456 comments Mod
Colin, that's a good start but you need to add plot details (include the "crossing" reference) to the topic header (title). We have thousands of book requests. We close threads with vague headers.

Click the small "edit" link after the header to update it. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 3: by Colin (new) - added it

Colin Rose (colinr) | 9 comments Kris wrote: "Colin, that's a good start but you need to add plot details (include the "crossing" reference) to the topic header (title). We have thousands of book requests. We close threads with vague headers.
..."

Hello Kris,

Thank you for that edit information, i hope my request is a bit more clear, now.

Cheers!!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34456 comments Mod
Thanks for the updating the topic header. This will help moderators and searchers.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 6: by Colin (new) - added it

Colin Rose (colinr) | 9 comments @lobstergirl

Hello!!

The Terioki Crossing, that's it!! and I can see from the review page that my memory of the plot may not be quite as sound, as I thought!!

Thank you so much for your help, you have made my day.

Best Regards.

message 7: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 190 comments I have to LOL at the name, "The Terioki Crossing"? So the author didn't even bother to get the name correct? Terijoki used to be a beach resort where many wealthy Russians from St Petersburg had villas and spent their summer holidays. And considering that Finland was a part of the Russian Empire at the time, there probably were no need for any crossings, either. And after that it certainly wasn't a safe place, first for the wealthy and then for the Russians, so...

message 8: by Colin (new) - added it

Colin Rose (colinr) | 9 comments @Tytti

Hello,

I am fairly sure that it was the author's first novel, so a certain amount of artistic licence, is to be expected. Most non-Russians would have been unaware of the geographical errors.

Best Regards

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
You're welcome.