Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > Slice of Life … on Mars — with all the flavours of the QUILTBAG

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Si (new)

Si Clarke (clacksee) | 4 comments Word count: 85k

In short: My first book ended with my colonists leaving Earth for Mars in the middle of a deadly pandemic (yeah, I know).

This follow-up novel has 160 people (150 women and 10 men) working to create a new society while processing the trauma of their shared (and individual) losses.

Tagline: We can have fully automated luxury gay space communism when we find a supply of unlimited resources – until then, we’ll have to make do with partially automated social liberalism.

Timeline: The book is due to go for developmental editing in July, so I need feedback before the end of June.

I'm happy to swap with another author. I read science fiction, urban fantasy, and mystery / crime – but I'm not good with romance.

message 2: by MA (new)

MA | 6 comments I'd be interested in swapping a few chapters to see if we'd make a good match. I've included a description of my book below:

Book Title: Mimic

Jayce Smith is an average teen growing up in Vidor, Texas. He asks his childhood crush to the Winter Formal Dance, hangs out with his three childhood friends, and deals with b.s. from a racist teammate. That all changes on his 17th birthday, when strange powers begin to manifest. A figure from his past gives him a choice: stay with a family that suddenly hates him, or leave with an estranged sister who offers him the world

message 3: by James (new)

James Maddox | 11 comments Hi Si,

Hi Chris,

I actually wrote something that's vaguely similar to this! I thought I was the only one that liked the idea of technocommunism! Anyways, I recently finished my sci-fi manuscript that's about 75k words. If you're interested and still looking for a partner, I'd be happy to swap manuscripts or swap our first 5k words to get a sense of style. I'm also looking to have something semi-ready for developmental editing by the end of July/early August, so let me know what deadlines you have in mind for your work.

Let me know your thoughts. You can send me an email at james.maddox.kennedy@gmail.com

Thanks,
JMK

message 4: by Si (new)

Si Clarke (clacksee) | 4 comments MA wrote: "I'd be interested in swapping a few chapters to see if we'd make a good match. I've included a description of my book below:

Book Title: Mimic

Jayce Smith is an average teen growing up in Vidor, ..."

Hi MA,
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I've got to get the book to my editor in the next few days, but I'll be looking again in a couple of months once the developmental edits are behind me.
Thanks.
Shannon

message 5: by Si (new)

Si Clarke (clacksee) | 4 comments James wrote: "Hi Si,

Hi Chris,

I actually wrote something that's vaguely similar to this! I thought I was the only one that liked the idea of technocommunism! Anyways, I recently finished my sci-fi manuscript ..."

Hi James,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I've got to get the book to my editor in the next few days, but I'll be looking again in a couple of months once the developmental edits are behind me.

Thanks.
Shannon