What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Realistic Fiction book that is set during summer break (at least in the beginning) and is about a girl who will go to middle school after break, and her older sister tells her that she needs to grow up. Title is one word and starts with M?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anisha_book_lover (last edited Sep 15, 2020 02:51PM) (new)

Anisha_book_lover I have super vague memories about this book, but I'm hoping that I can track it down with the magic of this group!
It was a realistic fiction book that was probably for ages 10-13. I'm not sure if the book was considered middle grade or YA, but I think it was aimed more toward middle grade. I read it sometime during 2017-2018, but the book is probably way older than that. I never ended up finishing this book, so again, I don't remember a whole lot of it! I really only remember the beginning.
It was set during summer break where the girl was going to go to middle school next school year (after break was over). The MC had a very tomboy-ish vibe, and her older sister gave off a more of a popular, and pretty vibe. At the beginning of the book, the sister tells her that middle school isn't what she thinks it is, and everyone will be teasing the MC (?) or something similar to that... She tells the MC to grow up a little. Her older sister was probably in high school, but it definitely could be college. I don't think she was a major character in the book, but I'm not completely sure. The MC also had a best friend that was a boy...I think...

Since I didn't actually finish the book, I'm not sure if the MC goes to middle school in the book, or if it's just about her summer break, but it's a strong possibility that some or majority of the book was also about her in middle school.

I think the title was only one word and started with an "M", but I definitely could be wrong. The cover was tan, and had notepaper flying all around the edges and there was an apple tree in the middle? The plot was more memorable to me than the actual cover or title, so I definitely could be confusing this with another book I read.

Anyway, that's all I remember. Honestly, I know that my description isn't much to go off of, but I hope I can find this book again.
Thanks in advance for any help! :)

message 2: by 25 (new)

25 (2520) | 8 comments This is a little bit of a stretch but could it be Deep Down Popular ? The main character is a tomboy and her sister is a beauty contestant.

message 4: by Anisha_book_lover (last edited May 18, 2020 12:07PM) (new)

Anisha_book_lover Nope, it's not any of those books, but thanks for trying! "Shug" does sound kinda close though.

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments Pretty Is and The Best Worst Thing have girls with older sisters the summer before middle school. Not sure the plots really match, though.

Anisha_book_lover Nope, it's not any of those. Thanks though!

message 8: by Anisha_book_lover (last edited May 19, 2020 09:24AM) (new)

Anisha_book_lover No, that's not it either. Nothing on the list appeared familiar to the book I'm looking for either :(, but thanks!
I'm beginning to think that I might just have been confusing two books together. I barely remember anything at all from this book, so I could have honestly made it up.
I couldn't find anything on any of my searches either...

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments Do you want us to keep searching? I like books about tomboys, so I'm curious to see if we can figure it out.

The part about the summer before middle school and the two sisters and one being a tomboy sounds familiar to me, like I've come across it before.

Anisha_book_lover Sure! You know what, let's keep the search going!

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments Great, I'll try to see what I can find.

I know you mentioned it might have been older. Do you think it could have been as old as the '80s?

Anisha_book_lover Not sure, maybe '90s?

Anisha_book_lover I'll check them out and let you know! Thanks!

Anisha_book_lover It's not any of those, but thanks again for trying!

Asia (semi–hiatus) (booknerd117) | 197 comments How long was the book? Was it like a "easy–read" chapter book?

message 17: by Anisha_book_lover (last edited Jun 21, 2020 06:55AM) (new)

Anisha_book_lover I can't remember exactly how long it was. It was definitely not an "easy-read" chapter book though.

EDIT: Not really interested in this book anymore, so I'm moving this to the abandoned folder.