Ladies of Horror Fiction discussion

LOHF Group Reads > June Readalong 2020: The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bark | Ladies Of Horror Fiction (last edited Jun 01, 2020 09:46AM) (new)

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 490 comments THE LUMINOUS DEAD by Caitlin Starling won the poll for June. Everyone feel free to discuss here! Please use spoiler tags wherever necessary and enjoy!

The poll is up! Get to voting!! I'm am very much looking forward to participating again :)

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/2...

Jen (LOHF/Book Den)  (delphyne) | 87 comments Thanks, Bark! I'm excited about the entire list. I can't wait to see which one gets picked.

message 3: by Franklinbadger (new)

Franklinbadger | 79 comments Great list! I might have to give Affinity a pass if it wins because (view spoiler), but the rest look terrific.

message 4: by Kari (new)

Kari | 38 comments Franklinbadger wrote: "Great list! I might have to give Affinity a pass if it wins because [spoilers removed], but the rest look terrific."

So much agreed on your spoiler! But I'd definitely be interested in the discussion if it wins. Waters is always an interesting read.

message 5: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 68 comments @Bark love your avatar! It smacks of (i'm cute, but i bite ...)

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 135 comments Shaina wrote: "@Bark love your avatar! It smacks of (i'm cute, but i bite ...)"

I like it too.

message 7: by Jackie Cowgill (new)

Jackie Cowgill (LanternsJourney) (lanternsjourney) | 8 comments yay! I've been wanting to read the luminous dead since Cassie posted about it!

Jen (LOHF/Book Den)  (delphyne) | 87 comments The Luminous Dead is so good! I'm excited for the discussion.

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 490 comments Shaina wrote: "@Bark love your avatar! It smacks of (i'm cute, but i bite ...)"

haha, thank you :)

message 10: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 302 comments i tried listening to this one but it didn't work for me. I hope everyone enjoys it and i'll see ya in July.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] (howlinglibraries) | 46 comments Yay! I've been meaning to pick this one up for a while so I'm def gonna try to join in.

message 12: by KD (new)

KD Grainger (kdgrainger) | 2 comments Looking forward to this one! I was pleasantly surprised by the price of the ebook (2.99). It’s always satisfying to get a book that promises to be a good read at a reasonable price .

message 13: by Tyler J (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 16 comments I will definitely try to join in! I saw it on Scribd so hopefully :)

message 14: by Carol (last edited May 25, 2020 10:57AM) (new)

Carol Gyzander | 8 comments I'm looking forward to The Luminous Dead! I've seen good things mentioned in several places. (And may I add, it's nice to have a deadline to get something done these days). And oooo look - it has maps! But dang, I missed the $2.99 :(

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather (finraziel) I just finished reading "The Luminous Dead." I borrowed it from my library through Libby, and before I had finished reading it I had bought my own copy! Easily a new favorite. Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts.

message 16: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristylytle) | 4 comments I'm looking forward to this one! I bought it months ago, mainly because of the cover. ;) It's gorgeous!

message 17: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) | 76 comments This book is so amazing and I can’t wait to discuss with everyone!

message 18: by Escapereality (new)

Escapereality | 2 comments i am so excited to read this book this month

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 490 comments Get ready to get creeped out!!!

message 20: by Kari (new)

Kari | 38 comments Three chapters in and I am so intrigued. I started last night and had to force myself to put it down and not stay up all night reading!

message 21: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 33 comments I'm half way through chapter three, but on page three (view spoiler)

message 22: by Kari (new)

Kari | 38 comments Melanie wrote: "I'm half way through chapter three, but on page three [spoilers removed]"

Yup, same reaction. I'm pretty sensitive to that stuff too and most things about the suit are getting to me, lol. I mean, besides the obvious, just imagining being stuck in it for months on end? Yikes.

message 23: by Bark | Ladies Of Horror Fiction (last edited Jun 02, 2020 10:26AM) (new)

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 490 comments There is (view spoiler) Shudders

message 24: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Connelly (goodreadscommoconnelly) | 1 comments I read this already. It's a lunar fever dream.

message 25: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 33 comments I'm part way through chapter 6 and as far as Em goes I call (view spoiler)

I'm really enjoying it and can't wait to see how she's going to keep up the pace and interest for another 350 pages with only 2 characters.

message 26: by Tyler J (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 16 comments I've read 3 chapters and the (view spoiler)

I am interested in it so far and want to know what happens.

message 27: by Tyler J (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 16 comments I'm in the middle of, I think, chapter 6. I'm enjoying it so far.

message 28: by Sci-Fi & Scary (new)

Sci-Fi & Scary (scifiandscary) I've read this too recently to want to re-read it, but I'm here for any discussion!

message 29: by Sci-Fi & Scary (new)

Sci-Fi & Scary (scifiandscary) Melanie wrote: "I'm half way through chapter three, but on page three [spoilers removed]"

I never even realized that could be considered body horror. To me it was just what she needed to do and I didn't even think about it. LOL

message 30: by Iva (new)

Iva Marie (BookWyrm's Observatory) | 9 comments I'm have a lot to read this month so I'm listening to this one. so far it's really interesting.

message 31: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) | 76 comments Ooh. How is the narrator?

message 32: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments I still don't have a copy.... sigh

message 33: by Tyler J (last edited Jun 03, 2020 07:56PM) (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 16 comments I just read chapter 7 and (view spoiler).

Jen (LOHF/Book Den)  (delphyne) | 87 comments I'm really enjoying it and can't wait to see how she's going to keep up the pace and interest for another 350 pages with only 2 characters."

That's part of what impressed me the most - keeping my interest with only 2 characters.

message 35: by Tyler J (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 16 comments I have read 14 chapters and I have no idea why but I am still interested. I'm enjoying it. It is impressive how it's keeping my interest as well with only 2 characters.

message 36: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 68 comments Poor Kim!

message 37: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 68 comments It’s slow going for me, Kim. You won’t be alone. I got mine at the library.

message 38: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments Shaina wrote: "It’s slow going for me, Kim. You won’t be alone. I got mine at the library."

Our little town library is still closed. Some places will be opening "phase 1" in a week or two here.

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 490 comments I'm going to relisten on audio starting tomorrow. I had to finish up the Grady Hendrix book before I ran out of time but the audio was quite excellent the first time around.

message 40: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 33 comments Kimberly wrote: "Shaina wrote: "It’s slow going for me, Kim. You won’t be alone. I got mine at the library."

Our little town library is still closed. Some places will be opening "phase 1" in a week or two here."

Ours was closed here in NZ for about 6 weeks. Awful. Libraries should be an essential service. When they finally did open though, you had to order your book and they brought it outside for you in a paper baggie! Very sweet.

message 41: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 33 comments Just finished chapter 10 (view spoiler)

For a book where really not much has happened, it's not only keeping me interested but it's creeping me TF out!

message 42: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) | 76 comments Our library is opening curbside on June 10th

message 43: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 68 comments Oh well, I think ours is closed too. I’m just using the online part with ebooks. I understand being without a library too. 💧😔
Yes! I think a library is essential ! Especially when everything is closed and shut down or cancelled.
Aww. The little paper bags. :)
Reminds me.. I went to Starbucks for the first time in 6 months or more today (books n coffee) and had a total brain toot on that. They handed me stuff on a tray wrapped up and my drink in a mug so I could just take it out of there. (I tried to take the tray 🤦🏼‍♀️at first- egads)!

message 44: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments You know, I've never gotten an ebook from the library... Of course, our library is a tiny little "house"--literally--but I never even thought of that!

message 45: by Jackie Cowgill (new)

Jackie Cowgill (LanternsJourney) (lanternsjourney) | 8 comments I'm on page 171 and just now catching up with comments. I didnt even consider this body horror but the suit does give a cringe effect. makes we constantly wiggle my toes and want to stretch haha. and yeah, this book is weird in that it's really verging on slow. not much has happened. and yet I'm interested! theres JUST enough creep to keep me reading

message 46: by Tyler J (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 16 comments I've read 24 chapters and am really enjoying it! I've been reading it thanks to scribd.

message 47: by Sci-Fi & Scary (new)

Sci-Fi & Scary (scifiandscary) Jackie Cowgill wrote: "I'm on page 171 and just now catching up with comments. I didnt even consider this body horror but the suit does give a cringe effect. makes we constantly wiggle my toes and want to stretch haha. a..."

There's a certain horror just to never being able to scratch your nose.

message 48: by Sci-Fi & Scary (new)

Sci-Fi & Scary (scifiandscary) My major pick with this novel (do not read spoiler unless finished), and the reason I didn't particular care for it overmuch is (view spoiler) and that just isn't nearly as interesting.

message 49: by Tyler J (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 16 comments Chapter 29 (view spoiler)

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 490 comments Sooooo, anyone feeling claustrophobic yet?

« previous 1