The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2020 > 30.7 - TessaVanessa's Task: Nights at the Drive-in

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 24, 2020 02:24AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5000 comments Mod
30.7 - TessaVanessa’s Task: Nights at the Drive-in

Going to the theater the past few months has not been possible. As we move forward in this pandemic my family and I are hoping the drive-ins will open and we’ll be able to enjoy a few new movies.

Choose two options and read one book for each. REQUIRED: indicate which ones you choose when you post.

Option 1: Drive-in memories
As a small child I remember my parents and grandmother taking me to the drive in. We would load up on snacks and I’d get dressed in my pajamas and off we would go. Read a book that has a night scene including stars and/or moon on the cover.REQUIRED: Include the cover when you post.
Example: Night Road by Kristin Hannah .

Option 2: A ticket to ride
Our local drive-in like many others had playground equipment at the front near the screen. I don’t actually remember playing on the swings and slides, but I know I always wanted to. Read a book with either swing(s), swinging, slide(s) or sliding in the title (not subtitle). No other variations allowed.

Option 3: Concession foods
We love our local drive-in’s food. It is the one way they are able to stay open with the rising cost of movie fees. One of my favorite foods they have is funnel cakes with lots of powdered sugar. Read a book with a title of at least 3 words where the initial letter of each word is found in FUNNEL CAKES. Letters may only be used as many times as they appear.

Option 4: Famous drive in scene
When I think of drive in scenes in movies, I think of Grease. John Travolta is singing about Olivia Newton John’s character Sandy. The name of the song is Alone at a Drive-in Movie. Read a book by an author that shares a first or last name with an actor/actress in the movie AND has a word of at least 4 letters in the title/subtitle from the lyrics . Here is a cast list: Grease Cast List. Both the principal and secondary cast names can be used and names can be in any position. One author in a book with multiple authors can be used.
The lyrics to the song can be found here. Words must match exactly.
Example: Marley and Me Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan by John Grogan.
Shares a names with John Travolta and "Love" is found in the lyrics.

message 2: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Reserved

message 3: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5000 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1347 comments Is this okay for option 1:

Bloody January by Alan Parks

message 6: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Amy wrote: "Is this okay for option 1:

Bloody January by Alan Parks"

Yes

message 7: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2653 comments FOR OPTION 1 would any of these work

Zodiac (Zodiac, #1) by Romina Russell Beneath Wandering Stars by Ashlee Cowles Firefly Lane (Firefly Lane, #1) by Kristin Hannah

thanks

message 8: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "FOR OPTION 1 would any of these work

Zodiac (Zodiac, #1) by Romina Russell Beneath Wandering Stars by Ashlee Cowles Firefly Lane (Firefly Lane, #1) by Kristin Hannah

thanks"

They will work

message 9: by Sally (last edited May 17, 2020 06:22PM) (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Will this work for Option 1?
Every Falling Star The True Story of How I Survived and Escaped North Korea by Sungju Lee

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16431 comments Mod
Does this work for option 1?

Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf

message 11: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Sally wrote: "Will this work for Option 1?
Every Falling Star The True Story of How I Survived and Escaped North Korea by Sungju Lee"

Yes

message 12: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Sandy wrote: "Does this work for option 1?

Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf"

Yes

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments This works right for option 1, right?

Under the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan

message 14: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Nicole wrote: "This works right for option 1, right?

Under the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan"

Yes, it has a starry sky.

message 15: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4160 comments Would you accept this cover? I am interpreting the points of light as stars. Coffee and Ghosts: The Complete First Season

message 16: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 1016 comments Does this work for option 1...It is a moon.... No Good Deed (Lancaster & Daniels, #2) by James Swain

message 17: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 839 comments If a book has more than one author, is it OK if one of the author's name matches or must both?

message 18: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Bea wrote: "Would you accept this cover? I am interpreting the points of light as stars. Coffee and Ghosts: The Complete First Season"

It looks like a night scene to me.

message 19: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Foxy Grandma wrote: "Does this work for option 1...It is a moon....No Good Deed (Lancaster & Daniels, #2) by James Swain"

Yes

message 20: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments KSMary wrote: "If a book has more than one author, is it OK if one of the author's name matches or must both?"

Just one will work.

message 21: by Trish (last edited May 27, 2020 02:55AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2594 comments Every time I read your task description and get to option 4, I end up being pop virused by that song!

Is this okay for a night scene for Option 1? Or does it have to have land, as well as sky/space?

Luna New Moon by Ian McDonald

message 22: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Trish wrote: "Every time I read your task description and get to option 4, I end up being pop virused by that song!

Is this okay for a night scene for Option 1? Or does it have to have land, as well as sky/spac..."

This works.

message 23: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2594 comments Tess wrote: "Trish wrote: "Is this okay for a night scene for Option 1? Or does it have to have land, as well as sky/spac..."

This works."

Thank you!

message 24: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Will this work for option 1 (night scene w/ stars) The Night (Love in O'Leary #5) by May Archer ? Thanks (either way!)

message 25: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Elaine wrote: "Will this work for option 1 (night scene w/ stars) The Night (Love in O'Leary #5) by May Archer? Thanks (either way!)"

Yes

message 26: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Tess wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Will this work for option 1 (night scene w/ stars) The Night (Love in O'Leary #5) by May Archer? Thanks (either way!)"

Yes"

Awesome! Thank you for a fun task!!

message 27: by Amy W (new)

Amy W | 207 comments Does this work for Option 1?
Madame Clairevoyant’s Guide to the Stars Astrology, Our Icons, and Our Selves by Claire Comstock-Gay

Definitely moon and stars, but not realistic at all...

message 28: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Do any of these covers work for Option 1?

Thanks!

Hellfire (Inspector Konrad Sejer #12) by Karin Fossum

A Bitch Called Hope (Lennox Cooper, #1) by Lily Gardner

Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1) by Alexandra Sokoloff

message 29: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Amy W wrote: "Does this work for Option 1?
Madame Clairevoyant’s Guide to the Stars Astrology, Our Icons, and Our Selves by Claire Comstock-Gay

Definitely moon and stars, but not realistic at all..."

It works.

message 30: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Pia wrote: "Do any of these covers work for Option 1?

Thanks!

Hellfire (Inspector Konrad Sejer #12) by Karin Fossum

A Bitch Called Hope (Lennox Cooper, #1) by Lily Gardner

Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1) by Alexandra Sokoloff"

They all work.

message 31: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 581 comments Will this work for Option 1?
Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott

message 32: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Shelby wrote: "Will this work for Option 1?
Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott"

It haa stars with peolle so yes.

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7792 comments The Night Belongs to Fireman (The Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel, #6) by Jennifer Bernard - looks like a moon on the cover?

also
Changing Lanes (The Lone Stars, #3) by Katie Graykowski Frost Moon (Skindancer, #1) by Anthony Francis Mine Until Moonrise (Lost Harbor, Alaska, #1) by Jennifer Bernard

message 34: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Dee wrote: "The Night Belongs to Fireman (The Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel, #6) by Jennifer Bernard - looks like a moon on the cover?

also
Changing Lanes (The Lone Stars, #3) by Katie GraykowskiFrost Moon (Skindancer, #1) by Anthony FrancisMine Until Moonrise (Lost Harbor, Alaska, #1) by Jennifer Bernard"<

Any of these would work for night scene.

message 35: by Alex (new)

Alex | 229 comments Does this work for option 1?
Us Against You (Beartown, #2) by Fredrik Backman ?
Stars on the cover?

Thanks!

message 36: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 995 comments Can you confirm if Please See Us by Caitlin Mullen will work for option 1?

message 37: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Alex wrote: "Does this work for option 1?
Us Against You (Beartown, #2) by Fredrik Backman?
Stars on the cover?

Thanks!"

yes

message 38: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Brooke wrote: "Can you confirm if Please See Us by Caitlin Mullen will work for option 1?"

yes

message 39: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1621 comments Can please confirm this is ok for option 1:
A Wish in the Dark by Christina Soontornvat

message 40: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Tien wrote: "Can please confirm this is ok for option 1:
A Wish in the Dark by Christina Soontornvat"

Yes

message 41: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1621 comments Thank you :)

message 42: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed

does this work for option 1? I am rearranging some tasks!

message 43: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly29) | 175 comments Hi Tess! Can you confirm this cover: Miracle Creek by Angie Kim

Stars are visible in the night sky. Thanks!

message 44: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Kelly wrote: "Hi Tess! Can you confirm this cover: Miracle Creek by Angie Kim

Stars are visible in the night sky. Thanks!"

yes

message 45: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1442 comments Nicole wrote: "Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed

does this work for option 1? I am rearranging some tasks!"

YEs