Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2018 and beyond > Time to Vote for the June Tag

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments It is quite the appropriate selection this month!

Please vote for the tag you would most like to read for June at the following link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Q9GXFS5

You may click on the answer choices in the survey to see a listing of books that fit each tag.

Remember, you may cast up to a total of 10 participation points for your choice. Everyone gets one vote for free so please vote even if you don't have any participation points!

You can see how many participation points you currently have in the spreadsheet below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Happy voting! Please cast your votes by 12 pm EST on 5/22.

message 2: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1082 comments I have some good choices under all three. I am going to go with the one that has some interesting ones.

message 3: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1580 comments I have tons of choices under all three! I'm good with any of them! I'm super excited for June! Happy Birthday to me!!!

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5759 comments hmmm...

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6649 comments I found the choices hilarious. There is one tgat abso,utely is my preference and I could literally read dozens of books from my TBR.

message 6: by NancyJ (last edited May 15, 2020 10:44PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5221 comments Happy Birthday Charlotte!

I know which one might be more personally relevant to many of us right now.

I have a lot on my TBR that could fit mental health. I might reread I Know This Much Is True in time for the new HBO show. (I wonder why it took 20 years.)

Suspense is an easy tag, but I read a large number of these with the thriller and survival tags early this year. I still have some spy books that could fit.

The Death tag feels cold and creepy right now, even though I'm sure I could find something good.

There is a some overlap between the tags, and I know I'll find something for any of them.

message 7: by Jenny (last edited May 16, 2020 03:02AM) (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 687 comments Mental health is the WORST tag for me.

I'm also doing a reading challenge based on my zodiac signs in June, so voted (surprisingly) for Death, as that tag fitted with my planned books for that challenge best.

message 8: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments Like many of you, I have plenty of books to read on all three subjects and would be happy with any choice so I didn't throw any extra points at anything.

However, I voted for the one with the biggest list of those I have set for want to read.

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7455 comments LoL-the fates are with us on these tags lately-I need to study my TBR a bit before I vote

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Voted. Torn between 2.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8514 comments Research is key! Totally surprised myself! Will cite this afternoon. I’m with Jenny, though.....

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7455 comments There are no plans to re-open the library anytime soon, so I have to go with the one where I have physical copies on hand-voted

message 13: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5759 comments Voted.

Such a change from comedy.

I'm not super stoked about the choices at the moment, but I do have books on my tbr in all categories. I went with the one which has the book, I want to read the most.

message 14: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1254 comments Before I vote, I need to make sure. These aren't tarot cards, are they? ;0)

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5794 comments Voted.

I can find something for any of these tags.

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8514 comments Voted!

message 17: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 898 comments Voted!

message 18: by LibraryCin (last edited May 16, 2020 11:20AM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8318 comments Theresa wrote: "I found the choices hilarious. ."

I thought it was pretty funny, too!

message 19: by DianeMP (new)

DianeMP | 402 comments Voted. I have books under all three of the choices. But, I really do not want to read about death right now. Mental health may have some interesting and helpful information about coping with isolation, depression, and fear. Suspense is good for just about any time.

message 20: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6996 comments Voted!

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 687 comments DianeMP wrote: "Voted. I have books under all three of the choices. But, I really do not want to read about death right now. Mental health may have some interesting and helpful information about coping with isolat..."

If Death does win, there's this book which isn't so much about death itself but the history behind the remembrance poppy. I haven't read it yet but it's on my possibility list: The Book of the Poppy

message 22: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Holly R W wrote: "Before I vote, I need to make sure. These aren't tarot cards, are they? ;0)"

Hahahaha! They feel a little like tarot cards at the moment!

message 23: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 556 comments I would be willing to use extra votes to vote AGAINST 2/3 of these!

message 24: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6649 comments Shelly wrote: "I would be willing to use extra votes to vote AGAINST 2/3 of these!"

Me too!

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8514 comments Please not mental health! I’m begging. Surprised to see how many good books happen to have a death tag in it. I just assumed off the bat that would be the one I would not go for. But there are so many on my TBR that I just said what the heck! Death or suspense and either way I’m happy.

message 26: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7455 comments Shelly wrote: "I would be willing to use extra votes to vote AGAINST 2/3 of these!"

I am with you Shelly-

message 27: by Robin (new)

Robin A I did vote for my preferred choice, but it looks like some of my books cross over so I will be alright with whatever comes up.

message 28: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5759 comments I'm actually hoping not suspense, because it seems like we have read so much of this recently, but I do have quite a few suspense books.

A large chunk of my reading used to be suspense, but I have drifted away from that genre.

message 29: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3226 comments Joanne wrote: "Shelly wrote: "I would be willing to use extra votes to vote AGAINST 2/3 of these!"

I am with you Shelly-"

Haha! I can understand that.

My guess is I just cast votes for the most unpopular choice.

message 30: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments Well OK then. Those are... those are some choices. Didn't throw a ton of points at my vote this time, though I suspect I know which way it might go.

message 31: by Robin P (last edited May 17, 2020 02:11PM) (new)

Robin P | 1598 comments Shelly wrote: "I would be willing to use extra votes to vote AGAINST 2/3 of these!"

I was going to say all 3 were ones I want to avoid, but figured it was only me. However, mental health could include some more hopeful views. Many people find thrillers an escape, but personally I stay away from anything labeled "gripping" or "chilling" and when I make exceptions, I am sorry. (Gone Girl)!

message 32: by NancyJ (last edited May 17, 2020 02:17PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5221 comments Booknblues wrote: "I'm actually hoping not suspense, because it seems like we have read so much of this recently, but I do have quite a few suspense books.

A large chunk of my reading used to be suspense, but I have..."

I know. I’ve already read more thrillers, suspense and mystery books so far this year, than all of last year. There are always more, especially if you interpret them broadly. I still have lots of mysteries but they seem rather meaningless.

I’ve got Dear Edward if death wins.

message 33: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6996 comments Shelly wrote: "I would be willing to use extra votes to vote AGAINST 2/3 of these!"

Yes, same here, but I did put in my first and second choices AFTER I looked at what was actually on the shelves.

message 34: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments NancyJ wrote: "I’ve got Dear Edward if death wins."

Ooo, I am going to keep that one in mind if death wins too! It has been on my list for a bit.

message 35: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lynm) | 287 comments This was an interesting trio to choose from. I'll have something to read no matter which way the vote goes, but I was surprised to find the Hunger Games books on all three lists!

message 36: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 661 comments Robin wrote: "Shelly wrote: "I would be willing to use extra votes to vote AGAINST 2/3 of these!"

I was going to say all 3 were ones I want to avoid, but figured it was only me. However, mental health could inc..."

No, it's not just you! My initial reaction was to consider starting a petition to get something more cheerful added ;-)
I came to the same conclusion that mental health was the one where I was most likely to find something with a hopeful angle, so I went with that. (Sorry, Amy!)

message 37: by DianeMP (new)

DianeMP | 402 comments DianeMP wrote: "Voted. I have books under all three of the choices. But, I really do not want to read about death right now. Mental health may have some interesting and helpful information about coping with isolat..."

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind!

message 38: by NancyJ (last edited May 18, 2020 02:36PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5221 comments Nikki wrote: "Robin wrote: "Shelly wrote: "I would be willing to use extra votes to vote AGAINST 2/3 of these!"

I was going to say all 3 were ones I want to avoid, but figured it was only me. However, mental he..."

It's not just you. I was just thinking I might step away for June, and read long books that don't fit any tags at all. And maybe practice meditating.

But I should mention that there are quite a few comedy books and uplifting books with mental health tags. I thought I had the Rosie Project, but I got The Rosie Effect by mistake. I don't think I'll get it in time for May, so I'll have to wait until June.

message 39: by Holly R W (last edited May 18, 2020 05:02PM) (new)

Holly R W | 1254 comments Nancy, there are a number of books which talk about meditation as being good for one's mental health. I see a connection here. I was considering reading a book on meditation if mental health is the chosen tag.

message 40: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5221 comments Holly, it's great for your physical health too, or so I've read. Exercise and meditation are two things that I used to say I would do if I had more time. I have no more excuses! I had a good workout on my bike today and I'm sore, but I feel good too.

I've tried a few different methods of meditation, but I never stuck with it to make it a habit. I often start and after a while I think about something I have to do, and i get up to do it. I end up feeling like I accomplished something even though I totally forgot I was trying to meditate. If you try it, we should compare notes!

message 41: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1254 comments NancyJ wrote: "Holly, it's great for your physical health too, or so I've read. Exercise and meditation are two things that I used to say I would do if I had more time. I have no more excuses! I had a good workou..."

I had tried meditating a couple of years ago and kept with the practice for about 5 months. My sister likes guided imagery and is currently practicing it daily to reduce stress. Now, my husband is trying it, hoping to lower his high blood pressure. Meditation does appeal to me - I may try it again!

message 42: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7455 comments NancyJ wrote: "Holly, it's great for your physical health too, or so I've read. Exercise and meditation are two things that I used to say I would do if I had more time. I have no more excuses! I had a good workou..."

Nancy, there is an App that I use called "Mindfulness" it has done wonders for me. You should check it out

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8514 comments I figured mental health would be a lot of bipolar, trauma, schizophrenia, and Alzheimer’s, or spectrum disorders. A lot of the Great Alone. Yeah yo me they were all dark topics. But hey if you can find an uplifting, like Educated, or others - great. I know I can find something. But I am hoping to read The Turn of the Key or An Anonymous Girl.

message 44: by Joi (last edited May 20, 2020 12:25PM) (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments Voted. I'm on a psychological thriller kick right now, and I think many could qualify for all three tags.

message 45: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6996 comments Amy wrote: "I figured mental health would be a lot of bipolar, trauma, schizophrenia, and Alzheimer’s, or spectrum disorders. A lot of the Great Alone. Yeah yo me they were all dark topics. But hey if you can ..."

Same here, and I don't want to read another one of those, although I ended up reading one that would totally fit, "When We Were Vikings" but I don't have a mental health book. The protagonist has FAS, but there are characters with other things.

message 46: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5221 comments I'm getting ready to order something as soon as we know the results of the vote.