Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ceelee's "I HAVE NO CONCEPT OF TIME" APRIL READS

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceelee (last edited May 15, 2020 12:05PM) (new)

Ceelee | 202 comments Greetings all Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends! Already the Ides of May! Even staying at home the time goes fast! I have been reading a lot but haven't finished much! ALMOST done with three this month but I hope there will be more! I am glad the group is reading MIRACLE CREEK! It has been on my TBR Mountain for awhile and I am glad for an excuse to start reading it!

Recently I was asked to join Book Sirens based on the reviews I have posted on Goodreads. They are like Net Galley but it looks like they have more books by less well-known authors. That;s OK! The book by an unnown I review today might be the famous author of tomorrow! The first book iI read for them was THE INSIGHTFUL READER by I C Robledo.

The Insightful Reader How to Learn Deeply & Attain Life-Changing Insights from Books by I. C. Robledo

It is mainly a guide for people who want to get moe out of reading nonfiction but it can work for fiction too. A seasoned reader might not get much from it. I wish I had this book in my freshman English class in college! The book we used to learn reading comprehension was so hard to understand I didn't get too much out of it. This book is not really a textbook but I think it could be a good supplememntal guide. He has a reading list of about 200 books but one that surprised me was THE CONSTANT PRINCESS by Philippa Gregory. Not that she isn;'t a good writer but that book is not at the top of the Tudor series. i guess for some reason he liked it. This is why i enjoy reading book lists!

Then I got my Jane Austen groove on and read LADY SUSAN AND OTHER WORKS BY JANE AUSTEN.

Lady Susan and Other Works by Jane Austen

I totally enjoyed it! A lot of her early stoires were dark gothics and tragic romnaces. Loved it! Most of the later books were longer nad were about young ladies looking for a match, going to balls, gossip and such but for me it was a lot of fun! Lady Susan was a total witch but I still loved the book! The Watsons was also a favorite and I really enjoyed Sanditon as well. Now I can watch the PBS serries, if it is still on the site! A few of the books like Lady Susan were written as a series of letters I am a big fan of letter writing!

My mystery of the month was THANKLESS IN DEATH by J D Robb.

Thankless in Death (In Death, #37) by J.D. Robb

I have read a few of the In Death series and I think Nora Roberts writes a decent mystery. This one was set during Thanksgiving week which was weird sincce I was reading it in April. It was so cool weather when I was reading it, I felt like it could be November so it felt seasonal. Book Lender sends me the next book on my list so that is one reaon I read a series out of sequence.

Books to video: I have been watching several lately. I watched the Lincoln Rhyme NBC series "Hunt For The Bone Collector". Wow. Pretty intense. I had neve read a Jefferey Deaver novel until a number of years ago Baranes & Noble sent me The Bone Collector by miatake. Instead of returning it (at my expense) I read it and was blown away! He is one of my favorite suspense authors now.

Also have watched the James Patterson series "Murder Is Forever" about true crime cases. Very interesting and a bit disturbing! The first story happened in Dallas!

I am also almost done with the Little Fires Everywhere series. It is so good! I have to read that book now!

I have only watched one episode of Normal People and now I want to read that book too!

I have gotten hooked on Ancicent Aliens from the History Channel! I hope there is a companion book! So much information I can't absorb all of it!

Enjoy the rest of May and hope the weather is fine for everyone!
If it isn't safe, stay home!

message 2: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Good to see you and your list, Ceelee!

message 3: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 202 comments Thanks! After I posted, I realized I had this rmonth's reads as MAY. So I changed it. I really don't have any concept of time right now with no real schedule to follow!

message 4: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 342 comments I didn't care for the book Little Fires, but might like the show. I will also check out Normal People as it's on my tbr list and has been awhile. I loved the first few books in the In Death series, but that was a long time ago and I was reading for the romance. Once the relationship was well established I lost interest.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14213 comments Ceelee: Very nice looking month!
I cracked up at your *comment about not comprehending the reading comprehension book in college, lol.
Yes! Jeffery Deaver is a very good author, he writes lots (and lots) of twists. I really liked the tv series too.
I'm also looking forward to watching Little Fires Everywhere.

Ceelee wrote: "Greetings all Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends! Already the Ides of May! Even staying at home the time goes fast! I have been reading a lot but haven't finished much! ALMOST done with three this month.
*I wish I had this book in my freshman English class in college! The book we used to learn reading comprehension was so hard to understand I didn't get too much out of it.

Books to video: I have been watching several lately. I watched the Lincoln Rhyme NBC series "Hunt For The Bone Collector". Wow. Pretty intense. I had neve read a Jefferey Deaver novel until a number of years ago Barnes & Noble sent me The Bone Collector by miatake. Instead of returning it (at my expense) I read it and was blown away! He is one of my favorite suspense authors now.
..."

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Ceelee wrote: "Greetings all Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends! Already the Ides of May! Even staying at home the time goes fast! I have been reading a lot but haven't finished much! ALMOST done with three this mo..."

Some nice books listed here. I tried to find The Insightful Reader in my library but not available, so I guess it really is an unknown author. Will try Amazon. I was just googling how to learn difficult topics and found a Ted Talk that was super helpful, so this book sounds right up my alley.

I've also heard of the series you mentioned based on books, and they sound intriguing. Can't decide whether to read the books first and then dive into the series, or the reverse.

You're reminding me I haven't picked up one of the In Death series in some time. I still enjoy the relationship between Eve and Roarke.

message 7: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 342 comments Ceelee wrote: "Greetings all Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends! Already the Ides of May! Even staying at home the time goes fast! I have been reading a lot but haven't finished much! ALMOST done with three this mo..."

I really loved the first books in this series, but lost interest once the relationships and characters were established together. My daughter has read them all I think.