Arlington Public Library discussion

Adult Reading Challenge > Read a Biography of Someone You Don't Know A Lot About.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Arlington Public Library (arlingtontxpubliclibrary) | 52 comments Mod
Tell us what you’re reading and what you think of the book.

Mary L. Montgomery | 9 comments I read Erik Larson's The Splendid and the Vile which was an interesting read about Churchill's life, most specifically during the Blitz in London. I particularly liked it because I was able to compare/contrast it to Lady Clementine by Marie Benedict, a biographical piece of historical fiction which deals with many of the same events and characters. Lady Clementine is an easier read due to its manageable size but The Splendid and the Vile is another of Larson's excellent explorations of the human side of a particular time and place, Read both but realize that Larson's background info paints a vivid and true portrait of one of history's great heroes, warts and all!

message 3: by Kendall (new)

Kendall | 3 comments I read “The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit” by Michael Finkel. It was about a man named Chris Knight who lived in the woods of Maine for 27 years and was eventually arrested for stealing food and supplies from nearby camps. This was an interesting biography because it was about a seemingly ordinary man’s life in the woods, and he only became “famous” when he was arrested, unlike other biographies that usually detail more well-known figures and celebrities. This was One of the reasons I became interested in reading this book. It was a fast-paced read that I would recommend.

message 4: by Terrie (new)

Terrie (mcmath) | 10 comments I read "All Boys Aren't Blue" by George M. Johnson. It's the memoir of a queer Black man. I chose it because of the Black lives matter protests and because it's pride month. Each chapter was a lesson the author wanted us to learn, and the whole book was something he wished was available to him while he was growing up. Like all good writing, it made me understand new things and gave me new insights.

I recommend this book to people who are questioning who they are, or who the people around them are (it's a YA book).

I recommend this book to people who are uncomfortable with LGBTQ people. The author explains terms, and explains the confusion he felt in grade school when he had to stand in the boys' line but he fit in better with the girls.

The author was raised in a supportive family, so while some incidents are rough they could have been worse. And the purpose of his book - to help other queer folk - shines through.

message 5: by Lee Ann (new)

Lee Ann | 4 comments I agree with the earlier post regarding Erik Larsen, book, which then lead me to William Stevenson’s book, Spymistress which was Vera Rosenberg story. I found this to be fascinating reading about the spy’s that Churchill had set up throughout the war and especially the women who took on these roles.