Amazon exiles discussion

Voting threads > Favourite Artists Track 462- The Pop Group/Mark Stewart - nominated by tech, Voting

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1473 comments This should be a good one, tech's latest choice, English dub, funk, free jazz band, The Pop Group.

Wiki only lists the four albums (I am sure there was more than that) and a clutch of singles. But with 8 Mark Stewart albums which we also appear free to choose from, there should be plenty to keep us busy.

Usual thing, noms in by 10 pm Sunday evening, leave a link to your nom, and remember to come back next week to cast your votes.

I hear the lockdown is easing off in England but please take care out there. Why not spend the weekend safe at home if you possibly can, and work your way through this week's selected discography?

message 2: by Tim (last edited May 14, 2020 03:33PM) (new)

Tim Franklin | 8883 comments Kicking off with a rare appearance on (I think) Belgian TV. The clip I've watched before has the host gabbling on at length before the song. The Slits also appeared on the same show.

Where There's A Will There's A Way

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U3jwGfn...

message 3: by theDuke (last edited May 21, 2020 09:59AM) (new)

theDuke | 5668 comments Been a while since i've contributed on here (sorry about that)..what with the problems i'm having with my hearing of late.....but i'll join in on this one. Having added a copy of the 40th anniversary issue of Y to my collection; i'll nominate the track that was offered up on Themes a few months ago..for a second shot at the title...

We Are Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCqJ2...

message 4: by Lez (last edited May 15, 2020 03:51PM) (new)

Lez | 7490 comments After Duke

We Are Time
Favour

https://youtu.be/uob9K2QwuiI

message 5: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6566 comments efterles,

yes, space, 4 studio albums, quality over quantity - for me, they are just colossal (as is most of mark stewart's output - had thought of opening things out further by including all post (original) p.g. groups, likes of rip rig and panic, pigbag, etc, but didnae!), so where to go with so many crucial pieces? i'll go latter day p.g., where the electronic instrumentation as used in mark stewart's solo stuff, is a major factor, as well as gareth sager's direct and imaginitive guitaring,

We Are Time
Favour
Instant Halo

https://youtu.be/coSvkhZM11I

message 6: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments If it’s the same Mark Stewart, he seems to have been with a lot of large ensembles for lots of different styles. I was tempted to try Terry Riley’s ‘In C’ but thought it might be a step too far!

message 7: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 8883 comments Tech XXIII wrote: "efterles,

yes, space, 4 studio albums, quality over quantity - for me, they are just colossal (as is most of mark stewart's output - had thought of opening things out further by including all post..."

4 albums plus the 'We Are Time' grab bag, and another comp whose title escapes me for the moment. 😎

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 8883 comments Lez wrote: "If it’s the same Mark Stewart, he seems to have been with a lot of large ensembles for lots of different styles. I was tempted to try Terry Riley’s ‘In C’ but thought it might be a step too far!"

I think you're thinking of the New York based guitarist, most famous as part of Bang On A Can, Lez? Our Mark Stewart is a Brit.

message 9: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Ah, thanks Tim. I thought I must be wrong. Spotify doesn’t specify!

message 10: by Sera69 (last edited May 16, 2020 02:27AM) (new)

Sera69 | 1564 comments After Tech

We Are Time
Favour
Instant Halo
She's Beyond Good And Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Bjt...

message 11: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6566 comments sorry sera,

We Are Time
Favour
Instant Halo
She Is Beyond Good And Evil

message 12: by Val (new)

Val H. | 14833 comments After tech

We Are Time
Favour
Instant Halo
Little Town

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLKbs...

message 13: by Sj (new)

Sj Brooke | 2131 comments Where There's A Will There's A Way
We Are Time
Favour
Instant Halo
Little Town
Citizen Zombie

https://youtu.be/KrfhR5gIyBc

message 14: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3694 comments Where There's A Will There's A Way
We Are Time
Favour
Instant Halo
Little Town
Citizen Zombie
We Are All Prostitutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnfKc...

message 15: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1473 comments After Brass Neck

We Are Time
Favour
Instant Halo
Little Town
Citizen Zombie
We Are All Prostitutes
Feed The Hungry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLh_x...

message 16: by SussexWelsh (new)

SussexWelsh | 5292 comments After Spacepig

We Are Time
Favour
Instant Halo
Little Town
Citizen Zombie
We Are All Prostitutes
Feed The Hungry
Passivecation Program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffemy...

message 17: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1473 comments There we go, Sussex's late nom gives us 10 this week, we are back to the 4 point scoring system.

The usual routine, voting closes 10 pm Thursday evening, no late votes counted.

Here's this week's playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

And our noms:

We Are Time
Favour
Instant Halo
Little Town
Citizen Zombie
We Are All Prostitutes
Feed The Hungry
Passivecation Program

I have the week off work this week (I work in an 'essential' role, no furlough for me). Normally, that would mean a week on a beach soaking up the sun. Instead, I am turning our back garden into a veg and herb garden, preparing for the apocalypse.

message 18: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6566 comments it's all good. excellent selection!

4 - time
3 - prostitutes
2 - hungry
1 - town

We Are Time - 4
Favour
Instant Halo
Little Town - 1
Citizen Zombie
We Are All Prostitutes - 3
Feed The Hungry - 2
Passivecation Program

message 19: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5668 comments Enjoyed that.

Citizen Zombie - 4
Instant Halo - 3
We Are All Prostitutes - 2
Little Town - 1

We Are Time - 4
Favour
Instant Halo - 3
Little Town - 2
Citizen Zombie - 4
We Are All Prostitutes - 5
Feed The Hungry - 2
Passivecation Program

message 20: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1473 comments After theDuke

Favour - 4
Passivecation Program - 3
Where There's A Will There's A Way - 2
We Are Time - 1

Where There's A Will There's A Way - 2
We Are Time - 5
Favour - 4
Instant Halo - 3
Little Town - 2
Citizen Zombie - 4
Feed The Hungry - 2

message 21: by Val (new)

Val H. | 14833 comments After Spacepig

We Are Time - 4
Where There's A Will There's A Way - 3
She's Beyond Good And Evil - 2
Feed The Hungry - 1

Where There's A Will There's A Way - 5
We Are Time - 9
Favour - 4
Instant Halo - 3
She Is Beyond Good And Evil - 2
Little Town - 2
Citizen Zombie - 4
Feed The Hungry - 3

message 22: by SussexWelsh (new)

SussexWelsh | 5292 comments After Val

Instant Halo 4
We Are Time 3
Little Town 2
Favour 1

We Are Time - 12
Favour - 5
Instant Halo - 7
Little Town - 4
Citizen Zombie - 4
Feed The Hungry - 3

message 23: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 8883 comments after Sussex

We Are All Prostitutes - 4
Feed The Hungry - 3
We Are Time - 2
Instant Halo - 1

We Are Time - 14
Favour - 5
Instant Halo - 8
Little Town - 4
Citizen Zombie - 4
We Are All Prostitutes - 9
Feed The Hungry - 6

message 24: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1473 comments So, where did everyone go to then? A very disappointing 6 voters made the effort to turn out this week, was there something going on we weren't told about?

Well, happily enough, our winner is one of those that did finish the game, theDuke grabs the gold, way ahead of the pack with We Are Time. Non voter Brass Neck steals a silver with We Are All Prostitutes, and Tech deserves his bronze with Instant Halo.

I don't like rules and stuff, but after this showing, I am tempted to consider disqualifying any nommers who don't bother voting, after all, they have only played half the game. Anyone got any opinions on this?

message 25: by Sj (new)

Sj Brooke | 2131 comments Ah sorry everyone. 🙁 I was looking forward to voting on this one but not even listened to all the noms as of yet! Must admit, I did think we had days left for voting on this one 🤦‍♂️

message 26: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Sorry! I very rarely miss voting but I've somehow got a day behind this week.

message 27: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3694 comments You can do as you wish; it's a free world and a public forum. We've been here many times before - how do you make posters participate to the fullest or punish them for forgetting/failing to do the necessary? The answer of course is that you can't do the former and the latter risks unnecessary alienation of an already limited number of posters which would seem to be counter-productive in the extreme.

I offer no excuses - I picked a song I'd vaguely heard of at near-random (if I hadn't done that much there would have been fewer nominations for other participants to judge and vote for and if enough others with no or a peripheral interest in an artist do likewise it will limit the points you can award) but wasn't interested enough to listen to the playlist. Rude? Shocking? Disrespectful? Not really, there are many factors which limit participation in all aspects of life no matter how worthy, paramount and vital some consider them to be. If I were to put forward say Dame Vera Lynn as an artist, firstly it would be only with a deeply ironic intent and secondly if no-one could be bothered to nominate or vote so be it. There's no point in berating people who have a free choice as to whether or not and to what degree they wish to participate. Some themes and artists will engender more interest than others, there are no plots at work and no slights intended. If it's really a problem it's one that has no magic bullet. It is what it is, enjoy what you find to be rewarding about it and ignore what's not.

message 28: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5668 comments Spacepig wrote: "So, where did everyone go to then? A very disappointing 6 voters made the effort to turn out this week, was there something going on we weren't told about?

Well, happily enough, our winner is one ..."

Nice one! It's been a wee while since i won one! :)

message 29: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6566 comments "do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"

to be fair, brass has often resisted efforts to interest him in the pop group (he really has no idea what an (admittedly mutant, admittedly abrasive) funky treat he's missing), could say he's beyond good and evil, but i don't care, i love them, and totally accept that they ain't everyone's cup of tea. i'm glad some enjoyed, and have to say that pound for pound it is the most completely satisfying list i've ever encountered in this game, and i ain't no prostitute!

message 30: by Brass Neck (last edited May 23, 2020 02:28AM) (new)

Brass Neck | 3694 comments "and i ain't no prostitute!" - yeah, having to pay the johns is a hit to the ego!

I do have a Pigbag LP though (and enjoyed it).