Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

No Name
This topic is about No Name
Buddy Reads > No Name - Buddy read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pink (last edited May 14, 2020 08:59AM) (new)

Pink | 6556 comments This is the thread for the June 2020 buddy read of No Name by Wilkie Collins. Everyone is welcome to join in :)

message 2: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 4815 comments Mod
Thank you for setting this up, Pink. Looking forward to this!

message 3: by Petra (new) - added it

Petra Thanks, Pink!
Sara, I'm also looking forward to this read and will be ready to start in June.

message 4: by Petra (new) - added it

Petra Are we ready for Monday? Who's joining in?

I will finish my current book either today or tomorrow and will then start on No Name. Perfect timing for our June start Buddy Read.

From Wikipedia:
"No Name is a novel by Wilkie Collins, first published in 1862. Illegitimacy is a major theme of the novel. It was originally serialised in Charles Dickens' magazine All the Year Round before book publication."

I find that the serialized novels have tiny "cliff hangers" throughout, which gives them a feeling of tension and anticipation throughout the book. I'm looking forward to some of that in this book.

message 5: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Probably not able to start on Monday, but hoping for Tuesday. I also like the format the Victorians used, which was a result of the serialization.

Emily Gartland | 50 comments I’m gonna try to join in, but my reading time is a little limited these days with a 9 month old, so hopefully I can keep up!

message 7: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Go at your own pace, Emily. I can see how a 9 month old might complicate things. 🙂

message 8: by Petra (new) - added it

Petra Emily, there's no schedule here. I'm a fairly slow reader, which is why I try to start on time.
Take things at your available pace. It's best to enjoy the story.

message 9: by Nidhi (new) - added it

Nidhi Kumari | 179 comments As I started this book in February and then left it , I will re start from chapter 6. Till now the story is interesting and I like narration, I liked The Moonstone also. Only this book is long.
Happy Reading everyone 😀

message 10: by Petra (new) - added it

Petra Nidhi, The Moonstone was the first book by Wilkie Collins that I read. I was hooked on his writing from the get-go.

I'm glad that you have enjoyed No Name's beginning. I look forward to starting any day now.

message 11: by Franky (last edited May 30, 2020 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Franky | 131 comments This is one of my favorite Wilkie Collins books and I love his stuff. Read it years back. I'm in for this if I can find my copy of my book (so many books....though...)

Philina | 1562 comments I‘ve started reading on Friday and like the writing style very much! No time for a lot of reading on the weekend, though.

Annette | 475 comments This buddy read is too good to pass up! Looking forward to it!

message 14: by Veronique (new) - added it

Veronique | 896 comments I’d like to start it sometime this week. The Woman in White is one of my favourite books ever, and The Moonstone was very good too. Looking forward to this one :O)

message 15: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry | 1437 comments If I get a lot done, I may be able to add this one later in the month.

Franky | 131 comments Veronique wrote: "I’d like to start it sometime this week. The Woman in White is one of my favourite books ever, and The Moonstone was very good too. Looking forward to this one :O)"

Those were the first two I read from Collins years ago and then my third was this one :) I was hooked on Collins' style and the way he can construct a plot.

message 17: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am finally beginning this one tonight.

Annette | 475 comments I got a kindle serialized version and am enjoying it in bits. It is supposed to be as originally published but with editorial corrections.

message 19: by Petra (new) - added it

Petra Sara, I'm glad you are just starting. I have yet to start but plan to today or tomorrow.
Sorry, we've been spending time outdoors in the garden a lot and I haven't been reading much at all. It's raining this week, so I should (theoretically) have the time. I'm looking forward to a Wilkie Collins read again.

message 20: by Petra (new) - added it

Petra Annette, I'm glad you are enjoying the book. Reading it in segments, as close to originally written must be fun.

Anyone else reading this already or almost ready to jump in and start?

message 21: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am now nine chapters in and thoroughly enjoying it. I was afraid reading two Victorian novels at the same time might be confusing, but it is not because this one has nothing in common with David Copperfield.

Petra--I would say spending time outdoors sounds lovely. As cooped up as we have been this spring, a garden is just the place I would love to be.

message 22: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapters 1-10: (view spoiler)

message 23: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapters 11-End of the First Scene: (view spoiler)

message 24: by Franky (last edited Jun 11, 2020 09:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Franky | 131 comments Sara wrote: "Chapters 1-10: [spoilers removed]"

Sara, this is my second time reading and I'm still intrigued. I'm up to this point as well. Things are quite "hush, hush" and secretive so it's intriguing to see what Collins is setting up.

message 25: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

He does a great job of layering suspense into seemingly ordinary family life.

message 26: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

I must say I am surprised to find myself liking Captain Wragge, which would not have seemed likely when he was first introduced. I am also noticing far more than with any other of Collins' novels that I have read, the influence of Charles Dickens. Perhaps it is because I am also reading David Copperfield and have the direct comparison to make instead of the remembered one.

The humor is terrific and both Wragge and Mrs. Wragge have made me laugh.

message 27: by Veronique (new) - added it

Veronique | 896 comments I need to catch up! LOL

message 28: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am finding it very hard to put down at this point, Vero. Come and talk with me about it!

message 29: by Veronique (new) - added it

Veronique | 896 comments Sara wrote: "I am finding it very hard to put down at this point, Vero. Come and talk with me about it!"

:O) you’re selling it sooooo well! Hopefully I'll catch up during this weekend. My reading is all over the place, not following what I have planned, naturally...

message 30: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

I can sympathize. Mine is as well...I was intending to read this much more slowly and fit in some other reading between, but can't divorce my mind from this one to read the others...so!

message 31: by Veronique (new) - added it

Veronique | 896 comments Yes, but that is fun when it happens! I had it when I read Thorn Birds, and The Luminaries :O)

message 32: by Petra (new) - added it

Petra Sara wrote: "He does a great job of layering suspense into seemingly ordinary family life."

I've begun reading and am at Chapter 5. I hope to catch up quickly.

I was just coming here to say the same thing, Sara. In the first 4 chapters, Collins has managed to add intrigue, mystery and suspense into this ordinary family.
He's made me feel bad for the poor girls and I don't even know if or what may happen to them. They go about their days as usual, yet we feel that a black cloud is forming over their heads. We just don't know what it is.....or if it's truly there.

message 33: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Exactly, Petra. It is more a mood that is there than the particular events that are going on.

message 34: by Petra (last edited Jun 14, 2020 07:51PM) (new) - added it

Petra Sara wrote: "Chapters 1-10: [spoilers removed]"

Sara, thank you for putting the chapter numbers for the spoiler at the top of the post. That allows us to know when we can take a peek.

I have finished Chapter 10:
(view spoiler)

So far, this is a wonderful story. Wilkie Collins never disappoints me (at least, not yet).

message 35: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petra (view spoiler)

message 36: by Petra (new) - added it

Petra Also: (view spoiler)

message 37: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petra: (view spoiler)

message 38: by Petra (last edited Jun 14, 2020 10:17PM) (new) - added it

Petra Sara: (view spoiler)

Chapers 11-13: (view spoiler)

ETA: (view spoiler)

message 39: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petra: Does indeed have the WOW factor. (view spoiler)

message 40: by Petra (new) - added it

Petra Sara: (view spoiler)

Chapter 14:
(view spoiler)

message 41: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree, that puzzled me as well. (view spoiler)

message 42: by Veronique (new) - added it

Veronique | 896 comments Sara wrote: "I must say I am surprised to find myself liking Captain Wragge, which would not have seemed likely when he was first introduced. I am also noticing far more than with any other of Collins' novels t..."

After fitful starts (not because of the book), I’m finally in! Reached chapter 4 and enjoying it already. The way Collins describes people! I loved the way he introduces Captain Wragge. Had me smiling! Here is an interesting character, definitely someone important, but is he ‘good’ or ‘bad’ :O)

message 43: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Happy you have started, Vero. Collins pulls you in pretty quickly in this book.

I'm sorry I didn't put that comment in spoilers. Collins gives us several characters that are hard to pigeonhole. I think Frank is also one of those. Who is right about him, Mr. Vanstone or his father?

message 44: by Veronique (new) - added it

Veronique | 896 comments Oh don’t worry. It’s right at the beginning anyway :O)

message 45: by Franky (last edited Jun 21, 2020 07:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Franky | 131 comments I'm about half way through and enjoying it as much as my first time reading it. I like the eccentricity of the characters and how Collins interweaves plot and conflict so seamlessly.

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Franky, I love your comparison to a chess match.

Emily Gartland | 50 comments I finally made it up to the end of the first scene.
(view spoiler)

Emily Gartland | 50 comments Finished this weekend! Overall I really enjoyed this book. What did people think of the ending?

(view spoiler)

Annette | 475 comments I am reading the pieces like they were published so only a little at a time then I had to put it aside to catch up with my Live Book Group. I am about to start the Third Scene. Based on what has happened so far, there is no telling where Collins will take the tale. Enjoying it!

message 50: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily wrote: "Finished this weekend! Overall I really enjoyed this book. What did people think of the ending?

[spoilers removed]"

I agree that much of the end depends upon coincidences which seem implausible, and yet I didn't mind them at all. Worse things than ending up in a Jane Austen novel. lol. Glad you enjoyed it. I did.

« previous 1

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Woman in White (other topics)
No Name (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Wilkie Collins (other topics)