Literary Alliance discussion

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
This topic is about The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
June 2020 - Evelyn Hugo > Day 1 (6/1) Pg 1-59 (Goddamn Don Adler)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brianna - Four Paws and a Book (coffeebooksandbulletjournals) | 14 comments Mod
Discussion on Day 1's reading. On my hardcover copy it is pg 1-59. Read to "Goddamn Don Adler"

Kylie Graham (horriblestgremlin) | 9 comments Mod
I just finished this section! what's everyone's thoughts so far?

Brianna - Four Paws and a Book (coffeebooksandbulletjournals) | 14 comments Mod
Ahh so many quotable moments so far!! Evelyn is such a strong, badass woman. I love how she told Monique to negotiate and “get as much as they would pay a white man”. When talking about the book deal. And even though this is a reread, I still found myself wanting to google these movies they were talking about at the beginning to see her for myself.

One thing that saddened me, although it was so prevalent at the time in Hollywood is how young she was when she got married the first time. She was 14 years old. She wanted to better her life and she saw this marriage as her only way to get out of Hell’s Kitchen. And while it ended up working for her in the long run, it makes you wonder what would have happened had she not married at such a young age.

Totally agree. There were so many things Evelyn said that had me wanting to highlite my pages!

I did feel very sad that she felt the need to her body to better her life and achieve her goals. Not that sex is bad, do what you want, but it's heart breaking that a 14 year old girl saw sex as the only way out. :(

Krystle (pinkberryoasis) | 4 comments Mod
I had the same feeling of Evelyn being married at 14 and seeing that as the only way out of a tough situation. Even sadder that a lot of people still see this as a way out. Does make you wonder what her life would have been like if she didn't get married - more than likely wouldn't be an Evelyn Hugo.

I love how she went to Monique for the book deal - a writer just at the beginning of her writing career to write the story! And telling her to get paid like a white man would was totally awesome as well.

That was awesome!

And yeah I did wonder what she would have been, during that time, if she did not choose to essentially fool this guy into bringing her to Hollywood.