2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
This topic is about A Merciful Secret
A Merciful Secret > Question E

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5343 comments Mod
Both Olivia and Salome appear to have paranormal gifts, which got them branded as witches by those who knew them. Your thoughts?

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 1611 comments The paranormal didn't feel right to me. I'm still thinking about if her gifts are real or part of her cover.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 693 comments I was iffy on that issue, too. I don't like much paranormal stuff, but it seems that Olivia thought her knowledge of herbs and stuff tied into her "gift" to cast spells.

Olivia taught Salome how to use all of her senses. Living in isolation the way they did helped Salome hone those skills. I don’t believe it was so much paranormal as it was a unique gift to pay attention to what her senses were telling her, especially her sense of smell. And, they knew how to use herbs to heighten emotions.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 640 comments I guess it depends on your own thoughts in regards to "powers" and the supernatural. Logically, yes, probably they were very intuitive to nature and observant to people's emotions in their Wiccan beliefs. And being isolated in the woods and honing their skills they certainly believed they had special skills or gifts. People on the outside are often quick to judge others that are different or choose to live a different lifestyle. Whether they really possess "magic", probably not.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 1611 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I guess it depends on your own thoughts in regards to "powers" and the supernatural. Logically, yes, probably they were very intuitive to nature and observant to people's emotions in their Wiccan b..."

Good point. I re-read some of the Salome sections because I thought it was a little fantasy light during my initial read. Now I think they are more Wiccan and highly intuitive.

I did the same and reached the same conclusion.