2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
This topic is about A Merciful Secret
A Merciful Secret > Question D

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5349 comments Mod
Olivia and Salome have interesting lifestyles. Did she follow in her mother’s footsteps or was she more free spirited? Why was it so important for Salome to be provocative?

Robin (robinmy) | 1124 comments I think Olivia wanted to keep them secluded in hopes that her ex-husband would never find her if he got out of jail. Salome wanted to get out of the small town where everyone pointed fingers at her. Maybe she thought she'd find a rich guy to give her the things she was missing.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 693 comments Read this too far back to remember some of the story, sorry.

As I progressed through the story and got Salome’s point of view, she seemed to really be shaped by who she believed her father was, Antonio Ricci. At one point she even talked about having murderous blood running through her veins. She decided at a young age that she was going to control men and did that through sex. The two men she most admired were Christian and Truman who she was never able to control that way.

Olivia was a mystery since we didn’t get her point of view. But, a lot of men in town claimed to have had some kind of physical relationship with her and that I didn’t understand. Both women also had a mastery of herbs and potions, Olivia teaching Salome. Both also seemed to be highly skilled at using their senses to read other people’s emotions and intentions.

I think Olivia trained Salome to walk in her same path and Salome got even better about it.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 1614 comments Salome is a combination of both. She liked living life her way, using her sexuality to trap and scare men. Her anger at men stems from her father. Since she can't make him pay, she will strike out at the boys/men around her.

It is telling that she didn't stay with, or attempt to have a serious relationship with anyone who had sex with her. In fact, she made them believe that she captured them with witchcraft. Most of her liaisons, left thinking some bad luck they had was from Salome's whammy on them. It is an interesting skill.

I like how you outlined that, Sharon.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 640 comments Yes, nicely put Sharon. Salome felt like an outsider so she used her sexuality to gain some sort of power especially with men. It is hinted her Mother had a similar skill but perhaps what happened with her husband meant her life went in another direction. They both have that connection to the Earth and some very unusual skills which I guess would be recognised as Wiccan.

Christina T (crysteena73) | 102 comments I honestly didn't think Salome's promiscuity was a big deal in the grand scheme of the book. It established her background but it didn't have anything to do with her being an adult, really. Also, her adoption of Morrigan seemed inconsistent with how much she supposedly slept around. I would think she would have had ample opportunity to get pregnant according to her reputation. I did like how she straighten her promiscuous ways when she adopted Morrigan.

As far as Olivia's lifestyle, I liked how she provided natural remedies and "potions" to her clients to help pay bills but I'm still not sure if she had sex with her male clients. Rumors say she did but I don't think there was anything indicating she did, was there?

Robin (robinmy) | 1124 comments Christina, I would guess that having sex with Olivia is something that the guys would brag about. They would probably make up so many stories that it would look like there was no male in a 50 mile radius that she hadn't slept with.

I’m with you about Olivia. There wasn’t much evidence of her sleeping around a lot. I think the so called rumors about her May have influenced Salome’s behavior but I think it was just that...baseless rumors.