Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Quarantine Tuesday Reading Kaffeeklatsch 5/12/2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7444 comments Oops another Tuesday disappearing into the sunset before I know it!

Good News/Bad News kind of day. Let's get the bad news out of the way:

Broadway will be closed until at least Labor Day. Yup, just announced, although in truth I expected no less. Personally, I've held off renewing any subscriptions to theater or opera for 20/21 season just because I fear I'd just end up arranging for refunds. Which I'm still following up on from this season's cancellations.

Sigh, that means no 'La Rentree" as the French call the beginning of the new arts season and signalling the return from the annual August holiday.

Now there is good news to be had:

First, a client left for me at my door the most amazing incredibly fresh baked pastries from a French bakery today! Yum! I am blessed -- well at least by some clients, not all.

Second, and this is the biggie: Hamilton - the filmed live performance with the original cast - is being released on July 3 this year!
https://www.broadway.com/buzz/199263/...

I know what I will be doing on July 3rd!

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3403 comments Theresa wrote: "Second, and this is the biggie: Hamilton - the filmed live performance with the original cast - is being released on July 3 this year!
https://www.broadway.com/buzz/199263/...

I know what I will be doing on July 3rd!."

I saw that, amazing for Hamilton fans! I know very little about it and have yet to see it. But, Hamilton Fans, rejoice!

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7878 comments The good news here in Michigan is that the sun finally came out, and stayed out all day. Still a bit chilly for May (58 degrees F) but I put on my gardening uniform (just old sweats and and a hoodie) and went and played in the dirt. It felt so right, It felt so good! And my order of plants arrived from my favorite gardening store. It is laughable, really-every year I try to grow plants from seed. Last year was the very first year in a long time that I was successful. And I mean really successful-with the plants that I still ordered on line I had about 25 tomato plants. I figured it was just a fluke. So, invested gardener that I am, I did start from seed again, back in February- Last week I gave away about 7-8 plants to a friend who was not so successful.l I still have, from seed, about 18 plants. Then today, 8 more plants that I ordered arrived-LoL. I have the room in my garden, so they will all go in the ground sometime before June 1st. From the garden to my table and my freezer. There's nothing better then a fresh Italian sauce in the middle of February-YUM!

Something new I tried last week, puzzles. We never did them in my house growing up, so it really isn't anything I have done too often. I only had one, and I finished it. I did find some on-line, so I have been occupying myself with that activity. The mention of cross-stitching here gave me the push to order a kit for a baby blanket, for a friend of my daughters. The one that I wanted, of course, was not in stock and I have no idea when it will come. My friends daughter is a huge Fantasy fan and I found a kit of a castle with knights and....dragons!!!

I got an e-mail from our library Director with the agenda for the board meeting this Thursday. On that agenda is "No-contact drive-up service" to start possibly as soon as June 1st! Oh, that would really make me happy. It has been so difficult to match books that I personally own to challenges

The bad news is that I fell into a really bad funk last week and just have not been able to pull myself out. Being able to get out in the dirt today did help. The Forecast is for sun-shiney the rest of the week with temps going up to the mid 70's by the week-end. I am sure that will help my mental state.

@Theresa-very sad to hear about Broadway. The Hamilton news however, I know will bring cheer a lot of people. Our provider (Direct TV) has said they will be offering premium channels this summer to their customers free of charge. If Disney+ is one of them I will watch it. I never understood what all the hoop-la was about, I need to see it I guess.

message 4: by Robin P (last edited May 12, 2020 03:30PM) (new)

Robin P | 1871 comments Theresa wrote: "Oops another Tuesday disappearing into the sunset before I know it!

Good News/Bad News kind of day. Let's get the bad news out of the way:

Broadway will be closed until at least Labor Day. Yup, ..."

My daughter alerted me to the Hamilton film, knowing I am a fan. It is a filming of the original cast on Broadway. I don't have Disney Plus but I would buy the film if possible.

I was surprised to find myself a Hamilton fan. When I first heard about it, I thought, "Rap music? I'd hate that" but I kept seeing more about it on TV and in the media. And Lin-Manuel Miranda is adorable! I finally got the CD set and the first few times, I read along while listening. It actually has many styles of music, not just rap. And in the end it changed my whole view of rap (or hip-hop, I don't know the difference) because the language is often very clever. I saw the show in Chicago 2 or 3 summers ago and again a touring production here in Madison in November, which I brought my family to, and they all liked it, even my husband who doesn't usually like musicals.

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7444 comments For all who don't have Disney+ - and that includes me - there is bound to be a free trial period on signup that would give you free access to it as long as you time it properly and then cancel right away. Even if you have to pay a monthly fee, just compare that $10 or whatever to what some of us paid to be in the audience for that cast ($186 for nosebleed seat during previews for Broadway).

@Joanne - totally approve puzzles and cross stitch! I also don't believe you can ever plant too many tomatoes. On the farm we had shelves of canned tomatoes, a staple of so many dishes we made from swiss steak to chili.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Coppens | 360 comments Doing a happy dance here. The weather is sunny and pretty warm (53 degrees) and my daughter-in-law who just moved into a new house in February thinned out her book cases bringing me two large rubbermaid totes filled with books! We have similar tastes in reading so I am happy, happy, happy LOL. I hope everyone has a great week.

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7878 comments Oh Cheryl! A book fairy visit! I am so jealous! Enjoy and dance!

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6020 comments Not so great news ... Hubby's been feeling a bit under-the-weather yesterday and today. First he said he had chills. Then he said he was hot. Then he said he thought he's getting a cold. Then he said he felt just fine. A few minutes ago he asked me to take his temperature ... 97.6 F ... a bit low. He wrenched his knee two days ago as well, and I know that's been bothering him.

Two of our friends just let us know that they both tested positive back in March. She "felt lousy" for a couple of days and that was it. A few days after her episode, HE wound up in the ICU where he stayed for two weeks. He never needed a ventilator, but did need oxygen. They're both back home and cleared completely. And they both got the antibody test and it shows high levels of antibodies for both of them (which is how they confirmed that her "feeling lousy" was probably corona virus).

I took a long drive to the opposite end of the county today to visit another library which had two books I wanted available. I'm so happy that they let me check them out, even when I'm not a resident of that community.

Wisconsin weather is beginning to show more promise of Spring. The trees are budding, and most of the perennials have pushed their way out of the ground.

Remind me to sing you the song about plants blooming for our next Zoom meeting....

message 9: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7204 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Not so great news ... Hubby's been feeling a bit under-the-weather yesterday and today. First he said he had chills. Then he said he was hot. Then he said he thought he's getting a cold. Then he sa..."

I hope your husband feels better soon and that it turns out to be something mild.

message 10: by Theresa (last edited May 14, 2020 10:41AM) (new)

Theresa | 7444 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Not so great news ... Hubby's been feeling a bit under-the-weather yesterday and today. First he said he had chills. Then he said he was hot. Then he said he thought he's getting a cold. Then he sa..."

Fingers crossed that your husband ends up just being 'under the weather' with something normal.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Coppens | 360 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Not so great news ... Hubby's been feeling a bit under-the-weather yesterday and today. First he said he had chills. Then he said he was hot. Then he said he thought he's getting a cold. Then he sa..."

Hopefully it's nothing serious and he feels better soon

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7878 comments @BC-thinking good thoughts for your husband and sending good wishes

message 13: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1597 comments I'm so sad about Broadway, even though I've never been, because I know that is going to be a hit to the people that work in and around all of the shows. I am beyond excited that Hamilton is going to be on Disney+. My husband and I got Disney+ before it even started but we are HUGE Star Wars and Marvel fans and watch all of the movies over and over again. I love some of the original content they've created too, behind the scenes type things for Disney and movies. I also love the Jeff Goldblum show which is what gave me the idea for the blog I wanted to start...

...which I started yesterday!!!! I've created a twitter, facebook, instagram, youtube channel and website/blog!!! https://charlotteonbooks.com/
Now I'm working on creating content! I've recorded a couple of videos but don't have them up yet. I've written a couple of blogs and trying out some things on the different social media platforms.

I've also been looking into writing classes and I've written an outline for a memoir that I want to write. I'm thinking about joining a writer's community to learn how to write non-fiction.

I hope those that are feeling down or having an off week, feel better soon. I was there a couple of weeks ago and playing around with this blog stuff has helped out. Like Joanne, I've been doing a bit of gardening. I've started to clean out the beds at the front of my house of the tulip and daffodil bulbs so that I can freshen up the dirt. I'm not sure what I'm going to plant over the summer. I've thought about just doing petunias and dahlias, but I wonder if I should try zucchini or spaghetti squash. The weather was wonderful this past weekend with highs in the low 80s, but we are back to the "normal" Seattle rain yesterday and today.

message 14: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5069 comments BC, that is scary - I know for myself, I feel trepidation at each cough and sneeze, wondering if it's anything other than a regular cold.

Here's an interesting article about the pros and cons of getting a pulse oximeter. Personally I will be getting one myself, and recommending my mom gets one in the Philippines. I occasionally suffer from asthma and it will help me to determine early when my PO2 is low. https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/...

message 15: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments SO EXCITED for the Hamildrop this July!!
We also have had Disney+ since it came out, and I'll be watching. They actually announced it would come out in 2021, and I said "they should bump it because of Corona", and THEY DID! They had to have filmed this WAAAY back, and have been sitting on it- so super excited. I have tix for Hamilton (2nd time seeing it) in Spring 2021 so things have BETTER opened up by then, lol.

@Robin, I think Hamilton truly has something for everyone. Every type of fan.

@Theresa, I think sometimes the 'little things' like French pastries make a HUGE difference right now. The small wins seem much bigger right now.

@Joanne, A dragon puzzle!! I bought a new puzzle like a month ago, and it's shipping this week. It's a street in the Latin Quarter in Paris, hopefully will bring good memories.

@BC, oh no about your husband! Send him love from the PBTers.

@Charlotte, New pic! Awesome start on the new website/blog. Plus a memoir? WOW! Talk about a new quarantine hobby and skill.

Very sad about Broadway- I'm think my June Anastasia, wondering about my August Mean Girls show- may both be cancelled. Luckily, I saw Mean Girls in NYC in 2018- but I was REALLY Looking forward. My 2020-2021 season's don't start until October, so I'm hoping all those will be safe.

Today is more up and down. The thing that is starting to wear on me is other people's negativity- since I'm still working- I hear daily other peoples opinions on corona, pandemic, whatnot- and it is always negative. Every side of every opinion, there is no winning. Frankly- I'm just sick of talking about it. I want something new and HAPPY to talk about ! I try and stay positive and upbeat, and am continuing to be that way, but other people's negativity (something I can't control) is really starting to wear on me.

message 16: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3403 comments I hear that, Joi!
I go back to work Monday so we will see how that is. I have enjoyed working from home immensely so I am sad it is coming to an end and having to hear people gripe all the time won't be great.
I will try not to add to the noise.

I have felt pretty good overall lately.
Regardless of what I think is right or wrong, I can only do what is best for me and my family within my abilities and not worry about policing what everyone else is doing.

Hope it gets nicer out today, I need a walk!
Hotdogs on the grill tonight 👍🏼
And finishing up Burnt Offerings which has been a thrilling and creepy read.

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7878 comments @ Charlotte-So glad that you started work on that blog-keep us posted so that we can become your groupies!

And wow! you really did cut your hair! I love it though and it must be super easy to take care of. I always go for easy-I am a wash and go type of gal, always have been. However since my surgeries, blow drying by myself is a non-starter for me-I just can't do it without causing lots of pain. I wish I had the right shape of face (and the guts-LoL) to just chop it all off.

@Joi-I get what you are saying about the negativity and rotten attitudes. The few times I have been out it is plastered all over people's faces. Good thing I do not go out too often, the only people that have had to deal with me are my husband and daughter. I am lucky to have them, they have gone out of their way to try to shake me out of this bad attitude. The sun is helping a lot-shining again today and I played in the dirt once again.

message 18: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5582 comments Charlotte wrote: "I'm so sad about Broadway, even though I've never been, because I know that is going to be a hit to the people that work in and around all of the shows. I am beyond excited that Hamilton is going t..."

We used to plant zucchini and they grew so fast and BIG, we always had some to give away. Maybe we had good soil. They like frequent watering, but you need good drainage so they don't sit in in water. H used fertilizer and started the seeds in big mounds of loose soil.

That's exciting that you're starting to write! I suppose writing a memoir could take you in many directions (personal, family, professional, etc.)

Since you're looking for new job, could you blog about topics related to your work to get visibility? These are really helpful for people who work in consulting, or any field where you can do contract or "gig" work.

If I was planning to go back to work soon, this would be a good time to create a blog with tips on change management or other topics I used to teach. But my brain is still in retirement mode.

message 19: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1597 comments Joanne wrote: "@ Charlotte-So glad that you started work on that blog-keep us posted so that we can become your groupies!

And wow! you really did cut your hair! I love it though and it must be super easy to tak..."

Thank you so much! And thank you for visiting my site! It's been a ton of fun and I've learned a bunch of new skills! I'll be posting videos later today and linking them to my blog.

The short hair is SOOOO much easier... I can't even remember the last time I used a blow dryer! (Actually, it would have been in Dec, just before I chopped it all off hehehehe). I just wish the quarantine didn't force me into growing it out. Thank goodness for bobby pins and hairspray. I get the need for guts to take the jump, it was super scary to do it. I'm so glad the sun is shining for you today! I wish I was as good or motivated as you are at gardening.

Joi wrote: "SO EXCITED for the Hamildrop this July!!
We also have had Disney+ since it came out, and I'll be watching. They actually announced it would come out in 2021, and I said "they should bump it becaus..."

I read an article that said they filmed it over the course of 3 performances in 2016.

message 20: by NancyJ (last edited May 13, 2020 12:34PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5582 comments annapi wrote: "BC, that is scary - I know for myself, I feel trepidation at each cough and sneeze, wondering if it's anything other than a regular cold.

Here's an interesting article about the pros and cons of ..."

It can't hurt. They're small and cheap, and you can also check your heart rate. My mom has one, and my husband and I check our numbers once in a while too. I think it's great for anyone with suspected asthma, smokers, or anyone who often feels out of breath or tired. The heart rate check is also good for anyone who is exercising more.

I have allergies, and every time I cough or sneeze a little more than usual, my husband gives me that keep-it-away-from-me look.

message 21: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6020 comments Thank you all for your good wishes and positive vibes sent via the ether .... Hubby's feeling absolutely fine today. Thinks that perhaps he was just overtired. Of course he spent another 4 hours in the garden today. I took him a sandwich at noontime and sat on the patio with him for a while, just marveling at how blue the sky is, and talking about which trees are thriving, which seem stressed, what plants will go where.... And the need for more mulch. (We've already had 6 yards delivered and used it all.)

Then I went for a walk. I signed up for Anita's MLB Wellness challenge (on facebook). I had been doing a flight of stairs for each run my team scored, but they had only 1 run for today, so I thought I'd take a 1-mile walk. I'm pooped! The flights of stairs have never looked so good!

message 22: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 578 comments @BC, so glad hubby is doing better and able to spend all that time in the garden!
@Theresa and all Hamilton fans, I will have to figure out how to get access to this. I have not seen Hamilton, want very much to see Hamilton, very much want to see original cast in Hamilton, but do not have Disney+. As Theresa suggested, will look for free trial period.
@Charlotte, you go girl! How wonderful that you are exploring writing and blogging and vlogging. I don't know how you keep so many books going at the same time!

Today I walked into a bagel store for the first time in 2 months. My first impression was how wonderful it smelled! It smelled heavenly. Then the egg sandwich on a toasted bagel-- also heavenly. Can't imagine what will happen when I get to a pizzeria.

message 23: by Theresa (last edited May 14, 2020 10:40AM) (new)

Theresa | 7444 comments Charlotte wrote: "I'm so sad about Broadway, even though I've never been, because I know that is going to be a hit to the people that work in and around all of the shows. I am beyond excited that Hamilton is going t..."

Charlotte - definitely pursue writing courses and such! My writing is strictly lawyer work, and I am pretty good at it and have over 30 years experience, but I occasionally take a writing class or read books on the writing craft. I always glean good tips that improve my writing.

I also have many friends and clients who are writers. All of them encourage joining writing groups and participating in writing workshops as the feedback is invaluable.

How thrilling to see this!

message 24: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8643 comments BC, happy to hear your husband is feeling better.

Charlotte, I have to say I love having my long hair, especially now! I don't use a blow dryer anyway (haven't for years) - I just let it dry on its own. Now, of course, it doesn't matter if it keeps growing. :-) It can grow as long as it wants and it's not an issue!

I feel like short hair would be so much more work (my hair is no work at all beyond washing and brushing).

message 25: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7444 comments I went into my office today and was not alone there! I am a subtenant in the office and one of the partners of the overtenant was in...a longtime friend and colleague. Also the office manager and the receptionist who also assists the office manager. It was so nice to have people there!

And my Christmas cactus was in full bloom again for us!

When I go to the office, I combine it with other errands like banking. I planned to stop at the bank on way to office, but when I left my building, discovered no bus heading in direction I needed because Con Ed had street closed while work being done. So I headed to office figuring i would have to leave early enough to find an open branch.

There is an upbeat point....

First thing I do after watering the plants and cooing at the blooms is open the mail...and there is a check from a client paying a large fee! Well you can be sure I made it to the bank!

I am blessed being busy with work that I love which is also challenging but even so, coping in this environment on every level is still grueling. I try to take pleasure in little things like my Christmas cactus blooming again, not sweat how poor a housekeeper I have become after years of having a cleaning lady, and take it a day at a time.

message 26: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7444 comments A little inside info on the filming of Hamilton and the release timing originally. Original cast contracts were up the summer immediately after it won every possible prize from Pulitzer to Tony Awards to a MacArthur Grant for Lin-Manuel Miranda. Most of the original cast, including Miranda, would be moving on to new projects...a career launch for all. But given the popularity, and not being fools, Miranda et al. Decided to film live performance with original cast that brought it to life, with idea of releasing it in future.

Release date was ultimately timed after London and other productions and touring companies were well launched, and money made from all this. Also for about when rights to perform the show were to be released for perfomance by high school theater groups.

Moving it up is a generous but also shrewd move. Keeps the show in everyone's mind.

message 27: by Robin P (last edited May 14, 2020 07:49AM) (new)

Robin P | 1871 comments Makes sense it is through Disney. After Hamilton, Miranda went to work for them, writing the music for Moana (along with native musicians), doing the new Mary Poppins movie, etc. Even though Disney is a big conglomerate, I thought it was charming that an inner-city guy after a groundbreaking and very adult show was thrilled to be working for them. (Although relatively young kids also love Hamilton and don't seem disturbed by the language and subject.)

There is a project at some stage between Miranda and Patrick Rothfuss, author of The Name of the Wind, Turns out they were both fans of each other. The hero of the book is a musician and the idea is that Miranda will create the music for some kind of TV or online show. However, nothing has been heard of that project for years, and Rothfuss has even stalled writing his own series. Can't be too hard on him, though, as his investment saved our local bookstore, where he is a kind of silent partner.

message 28: by Joanne (last edited May 14, 2020 08:18AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7878 comments @ Robin-I loved Rothfuss books . I remember reading somewhere that he had been suffering from depression and had stopped writing for a while. I sincerely hope he finishes the series and regains his health.

message 29: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1597 comments Theresa wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "I'm so sad about Broadway, even though I've never been, because I know that is going to be a hit to the people that work in and around all of the shows. I am beyond excited that H..."

Thank you Theresa! I'm actually looking into a writing school that is based in NY. They've moved their in-person classes on Zoom and have some great deals right now... Gotham Writers

message 30: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1597 comments NancyJ wrote: "Since you're looking for new job, could you blog about topics related to your work to get visibility? These are really helpful for people who work in consulting, or any field where you can do contract or "gig" work..."

I thought about this but that would mean writing about Contract Lifecycle Management and/or SaaS implementations... I could build a brand in that, I've done it before with Analytics, but it's just not where my passion or heart are. I'm already working as an independent consultant and can get more one off gigs via my network if I want to, but do I want to? I've been doing a lot of soul searching and what do I want to do when I grow up and I have no clue how I ended up a subject matter expert on contracts but I'm not sure I want to stay one lol

message 31: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5069 comments Robin wrote: "There is a project at some stage between Miranda and Patrick Rothfuss, author of The Name of the Wind, Turns out they were both fans of each other..."

I love Rothfuss! I knew there was some project in the works, but never knew that Miranda was part of it! I can hardly wait!

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6020 comments Well, Wisconsin Supreme Court (elected judges with scattered 10-year terms, and currently a "conservative" majority) ... came down with a 4-3 decision that the governor had NO authority to issue a stay at home order and negating said order immediately.

So now we have nothing.

The Republican legislature kept saying that they had a better plan that the Governor's ... but so far they have yet to produce it.

And within minutes of the Supreme's decision announcement, the tavern league (pretty powerful lobby in WI) sent an email to all members telling them to open for business.

S*I*G*H

I hope they are open and no one shows up. But I'm certain there will be fools who decide they can go about their business as usual.

I got an email from my manicurist today. The salon is opening May 23rd (so not immediately) with reduced services to limit the number of people in the shop at any one time. Everyone must wear a mask. Patrons are asked to be on time, with cash or check pre-written (or bring your own pen, as there will be no pen-lending). For manicures, we are to wash our hands immediately on entering, AND use hand sanitizer. And NO waiting for nails to dry! We are to leave immediately once manicure is done.

So HOW am I supposed to get in my car, fasten my seatbelt and drive away without completely ruining the manicure I just paid for if my nails are still wet?! Should I plan to just stand around outside in the rain for 20 minutes?

I know ... 1st world problems. Just didn't seem to be very well thought-out.

message 33: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6210 comments BC, I'm glad to hear your hubby is better.

message 34: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1597 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Well, Wisconsin Supreme Court (elected judges with scattered 10-year terms, and currently a "conservative" majority) ... came down with a 4-3 decision that the governor had NO authority to issue a ..."

I saw the article about this last night. My thoughts are with you guys! I'm glad your husband is feeling better and I hope you all stay safe and healthy!!

message 35: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I saw that the purchase of Hamilton to Disney was $75million. While I am super excited to see it on July 3 (and have paid my premiums for tickets to support the show personally), what is sad is that probably very little of it will go to the cast, crew, creative team, and none of the "others"- ushers, concessions, those effected by COVID. Hopefully seeing it on Disney+ will inspire more to want to see it live, support the arts, the Actors Fund, BCEFA, buying merch.

message 36: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7444 comments Charlotte wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "I'm so sad about Broadway, even though I've never been, because I know that is going to be a hit to the people that work in and around all of the shows. I am beyon..."

Oh, they are excellent! Check out Center for Fiction as well which has gone virtual... https://centerforfiction.org/. In addition to discuss groups like my Proust one, they focus on writers and writing too.

message 37: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 111 comments Hi everyone from Germany,

I read most of your posts and am quite impressed with growing/planting, blogging and husbands who are feeling better, but for now I don't find the time to write more, because I am swamped with work.
But I wanted to at least tell you that actually what I was so frustrated about (curriculum-wise) last week, was changed a little bit after my colleague and I talked to the principal and vice-principal about it. So good that our old principal has left us at the end of February! Our new (interim) principal is just so much more open to our concerns, because he actually values our work.
Thanks Theresa, for encouraging me last week, it helped quite a bit!
So, in spite of much to do, that is definitely good.

Plus, I took my bike on the train to work today and rode it back (it is a little more than an hour to ride, about 18 kilometres) and I saw a lot of birds and green leaves and sunshine.

message 38: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7444 comments Joanne wrote: "@ Robin-I loved Rothfuss books . I remember reading somewhere that he had been suffering from depression and had stopped writing for a while. I sincerely hope he finishes the series and regains his..."

He also has a very involved writing process, includes lots of readers and feedback as he writes.

message 39: by Theresa (last edited May 14, 2020 10:49AM) (new)

Theresa | 7444 comments annapi wrote: "Robin wrote: "There is a project at some stage between Miranda and Patrick Rothfuss, author of The Name of the Wind, Turns out they were both fans of each other..."

I love Rothfuss! I knew there w..."

My recollection is that project is going to be across multiple formats and actually be breaking new ground in adapting books to media... not just standard to movie or tv series.

Innovation takes time.

message 40: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1532 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Well, Wisconsin Supreme Court (elected judges with scattered 10-year terms, and currently a "conservative" majority) ... came down with a 4-3 decision that the governor had NO authority to issue a ..."

Unfortunately I've seen videos of people crowding bars in Wisconsin. I just don't understand how anyone can feel safe doing that. I hope the Wisconsin legislature comes up with some sort of plan because the free for all approach going on now is just going to kill more people. The legislature caused the lawsuit so you would think they would have some sort of approach to handling this. Things like this is what causes me the most anxiety right now.

message 41: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I am so sad about Broadway! I have tickets to Hamilton on July 17th that I will obviously be needing to figure out how to get a refund or credit or whatever. *SOB*

message 42: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7204 comments Miriam wrote: "Hi everyone from Germany,

I read most of your posts and am quite impressed with growing/planting, blogging and husbands who are feeling better, but for now I don't find the time to write more, bec..."

One of the worst things for a school is to have a principal who doesn't listen to concerns of the teachers and staff. There are a few other things, but I'll leave that there. On the other hand, a good one can do a lot which trickles through to the students' benefit.

At least you had a spring-like train ride. There is something about the increase of greenery that helps.

message 43: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 578 comments @Rachel N, I have more fear and anxiety now, with things opening up, than I have for the last 2 months. And I live in NY, which is going to do this in a very controlled data driven way (some would argue overkill). I am not planning on having my nails done, eating at a restaurant, or going shoe shopping any time soon! In fact, I am planning on having groceries delivered to spend less time in the supermarket. So while I plan to protect myself, it is very sad that people will die because people want to have a beer.

message 44: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1597 comments I just finished making my 2nd YouTube video!!!
https://youtu.be/_z5nXTxViB0

message 45: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3403 comments Darn, I missed the first one! I've been lurking around but when I get behind on posts I feel overwhelmed and skim a lot...

Great vlog!
Hands down best view of any vlog I've seen 😍

message 46: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5582 comments Shelly wrote: "@Rachel N, I have more fear and anxiety now, with things opening up, than I have for the last 2 months. And I live in NY, which is going to do this in a very controlled data driven way (some would ..."

Shelly, I feel for you. I'm upstate and every day were get updates on the new criteria. I really like that NY is using a data driven approach, but like you, I intend to remain home longer. I also like the county based measurements because each county's population and exposure is so different.

I don't need to to go out for dinner or drinks. I have a real need for new sneakers and orthotics (because my plantar fasciitis came back after many years) but even if the shoe stores were open I might wait longer.

We've been extremely careful, but I have another cold and I can't figure out where I got it from. Did I forgot to put gloves on when I brought the flower delivery boxes into the house?

message 47: by LibraryCin (last edited May 14, 2020 04:10PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8643 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Well, Wisconsin Supreme Court (elected judges with scattered 10-year terms, and currently a "conservative" majority) ... came down with a 4-3 decision that the governor had NO authority to issue a ..."

This was on the news here at lunch today. :-(

Book Concierge wrote: "I hope they are open and no one shows up. But I'm certain there will be fools who decide they can go about their business as usual...."

And, I'm pretty sure there was also video of a pub that opened pretty much immediately to super-crowded and zero distancing.

message 48: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8643 comments Book Concierge wrote: "So HOW am I supposed to get in my car, fasten my seatbelt and drive away without completely ruining the manicure I just paid for if my nails are still wet?! Should I plan to just stand around outside in the rain for 20 minutes?..."

This is what I was thinking, but hopefully it won't be raining! Good luck. :-)

message 49: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8643 comments Miriam wrote: "Plus, I took my bike on the train to work today and rode it back (it is a little more than an hour to ride, about 18 kilometres) and I saw a lot of birds and green leaves and sunshine.
..."

This is very nice. I'm glad things are looking up for you!

message 50: by LibraryCin (last edited May 14, 2020 04:14PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8643 comments Shelly wrote: "@Rachel N, I have more fear and anxiety now, with things opening up, than I have for the last 2 months. And I live in NY, which is going to do this in a very controlled data driven way (some would ..."

I had a dentist appointment booked in April that got moved to next week. Dentists (oddly, in my opinion) are one of the first to open up here, but I'm debating about postponing my appointment again (this time my choice; last time, no choice).

« previous 1