Top Shelf Society discussion

Emma
This topic is about Emma
Emma > Share your thoughts and be included in the live show!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (new) - added it

Kristin | 63 comments Mod
We are only 18 days away from our live show (so exciting!), and one thing we would like to do is collect some of your thoughts and opinions of the book to discuss in our show.

So, in the thread below, I would love it if your left your thoughts on any part of the book. You can discuss the book overall or general events in the book, etc.
For example: (SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!) "That one moment in the beginning where it talks about Knightley keeping a list of Emma's favorite books was such a foreshadow for their relationship!"

If you are discussing a spoiler, just write *SPOILER* at the top of your post.
Also, if you don't want your name to be shared, let us know!
Looking forward to reading and discussing your thoughts!

message 2: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (misscloudslittlelibrary) | 16 comments One thing that has struck me in reading this book, is how my attitude towards characters has changed... When I tried reading Emma years ago, I found Emma's father kind of annoying with all his anxieties, and thought everyone coddled him too much (I had similar feelings for Mrs Bennet in Pride and Prejudice)... but now that I'm older and have a better understanding of anxiety and mental health, my attitude has completely changed! First, I feel so much for him - it would be so difficult to be so preoccupied by his worries and having no mental health resources available (or even known about!). I also feel so much affection for Emma and the other characters who are so kind and concerned with Mr Woodhouse - always checking in on him, and meeting with him on his terms, allowing him to share his worries and opinions, etc. It really made me so happy to realize how wonderfully they all are caring for him and continuing to include him in the social life of the town.
It really made me realize how relevant and relatable classic books still are today.

message 3: by Kristin (new) - added it

Kristin | 63 comments Mod
Kelli wrote: "One thing that has struck me in reading this book, is how my attitude towards characters has changed... When I tried reading Emma years ago, I found Emma's father kind of annoying with all his anxi..."

What an insightful thought! I never thought about viewing Mr. Woodhouse through that lens before, and now I feel like my own opinions have changed as well!

I agree-- the classics still have so many lessons to teach us!
So grateful that you're a top-shelfer, Kelli! :)