Play Book Tag discussion

Calypso
This topic is about Calypso
May 2020: Comedy > Calypso - David Sedaris - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shelly | 556 comments This is my first David Sedaris book, and he is a master storyteller (is that why I see his master class in writing and storytelling advertised?). This book is funny and filled with many LOL moments. My favorites were when he describes becoming enslaved by his Fitbit and exploring how to curse at bad drivers in a multitude of countries and languages. The book is also very dark when he confronts real issues facing him and his family as they age- his mentally ill younger sister, memories of his loving but alcoholic mother, and the challenges of trying to keep his aging father safe. Somehow he manages to find just the right balance of light and dark, cynicism and hope, making fun of himself and those he loves. Although many of his stories and adventures come from his privileged life, they still feel very down to earth and I was able to relate to them. His love of his family is a very strong theme, even when at times, it wasn't an easy love. I listened to the audio, which he himself reads. I am sure that added to my overall enjoyment of this book. At some point, I think I will have to backtrack and read some of his earlier books.

message 2: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I like the one book by Sedaris that I read. Me Talk Pretty One Day. He is very witty. I look forward to reading more of his one day. I will add this one.

message 3: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5219 comments Great review. I love listening to him read his own stories. His delivery is just so perfect. I agree that he is really good at combining the light and the dark in his stories. I haven't read this one yet, but it sounds like he might be expressing more positive feelings toward his family than he did in one of his earlier books.

He can take a seemingly commonplace story, and eventually communicate some interesting insights about how humans act or think. I highly recommend reading at least one of his books. I heard a CD of one of his NRP performances, and that might be a great place to start.