YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0)
BUDDY READ: Dystopian/Sci-Fi > The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games #0) by Suzanne Collins - Restarting February 20th 2021

Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments It is the morning of the reaping that will kick off the 10th annual Hunger Games. In the Capitol, 18-year-old Coriolanus Snow is preparing for his one shot at glory as a mentor in the Games. The once-mighty house of Snow has fallen on hard times, its fate hanging on the slender chance that Coriolanus will be able to out charm, outwit, and outmaneuver his fellow students to mentor the winning tribute.

The odds are against him. He's been given the humiliating assignment of mentoring the female tribute from District 12, the lowest of the low. Their fates are now completely intertwined - every choice Coriolanus makes could lead to favor or failure, triumph or ruin. Inside the arena, it will be a fight to the death. Outside the arena, Coriolanus starts to feel for his doomed tribute... and must weigh his need to follow the rules against his desire to survive no matter what it takes.

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Really got my fingers crossed that Amazon don’t mess this order up! A bit nervous...don’t want to get too under the skin of Snow.

message 3: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments I agree, I was hoping it would be Mags' story or snapshots of several past Hunger Games. I guess we'll see!

message 4: by HeatherH (new) - added it

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2130 comments I was so hoping for Mags' but I'll be happy to be back in the world of Panen anyways!

message 5: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments Yes, I'm sure it will be well written.

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Opening chapter. (view spoiler)

Shannara | 727 comments Can I join?? Amazon has updated my order and says I should get it today!!

message 8: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments Ooh I'm excited for this!
Of course Shannara, anyone can join :)

Shannara | 727 comments Thanks Aly!!!! Now hurry up Amazon!!! Lol!! 😆😆😆

message 10: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments Karen wrote: "Opening chapter. [spoilers removed]"

Yes (view spoiler)

Deana The  Queen  (deanaaria) | 623 comments May I also join? I am just starting this one.

message 12: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments Yes!

message 13: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments ch 10 (view spoiler)

message 14: by Aly (last edited May 19, 2020 11:24AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments Also, in ch 10 little Easter egg (view spoiler)

message 15: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments the audiobook chapters are way off so my updates might be random

message 16: by Deana (last edited May 19, 2020 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deana The  Queen  (deanaaria) | 623 comments 25 percent - through chapter 9

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments ch 18 (view spoiler)

message 18: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments Deana - organically grown and sprinkled with wrote: "25 percent - through chapter 9 (view spoiler)"

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments ch 20/End of part 2 (view spoiler)

Deana The  Queen  (deanaaria) | 623 comments Aly wrote: "Deana - organically grown and sprinkled with wrote: "25 percent - through chapter 9 [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments ch 27 (view spoiler)

Deana The  Queen  (deanaaria) | 623 comments 50 percent - through chapter 17

(view spoiler)

Deana The  Queen  (deanaaria) | 623 comments 75 percent

(view spoiler)

Deana The  Queen  (deanaaria) | 623 comments 100 percent

(view spoiler)

Deana The  Queen  (deanaaria) | 623 comments Aly wrote: "ch 27 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Deana The  Queen  (deanaaria) | 623 comments Aly wrote: "ch 18 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Shannara | 727 comments Dang!! You all read really fast!! I just got up to chapter ten. (view spoiler)

I’ll have more time to read tomorrow!!

Deana The  Queen  (deanaaria) | 623 comments Shannara wrote: "Dang!! You all read really fast!! I just got up to chapter ten. [spoilers removed]

I’ll have more time to read tomorrow!!"

I do read really fast! 😀
(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Up to ch4. Interesting to see how we’re being encouraged to feel about Snow.

message 30: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments Deana - organically grown and sprinkled with wrote: "50 percent - through chapter 17
(view spoiler)"

Yes, a lot of differences (view spoiler)

message 31: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments Deana - organically grown and sprinkled with wrote: "75 percent
(view spoiler)"

I wondered that too (view spoiler)

message 32: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments Shannara wrote: "Dang!! You all read really fast!! I just got up to chapter ten. [spoilers removed]

I’ll have more time to read tomorrow!!"

Totally agree! (view spoiler)

message 33: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch4. Interesting to see how we’re being encouraged to feel about Snow."

Yeah, I can't really feel compassion for him knowing him later. But villains evolve from something I guess

message 34: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments finished (view spoiler)

Deana The  Queen  (deanaaria) | 623 comments Aly wrote: "finished I'm kind of bummed we never got to find out what happened to Lucy. I hope she went back to 12 and had a decent life. Coriolanus is paranoid and totally messed that up, I'm glad he didn't ..."

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments Deana - organically grown and sprinkled with wrote: "Aly wrote:(view spoiler)"

You may be right (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Part one really sets the tone for a Games fraught with danger. Interesting to see the shifting dynamic between Snow and his mentee.

message 38: by Shannara (last edited May 20, 2020 10:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shannara | 727 comments Aly wrote: "Karen wrote: "Up to ch4. Interesting to see how we’re being encouraged to feel about Snow."

Yeah, I can't really feel compassion for him knowing him later. But villains evolve from something I guess"

Yeah, I’m pretty much like... aww.. oh wait, I don’t really care! Which is super harsh, but he’s a super big a-hole. Sooo.....

Deana The  Queen  (deanaaria) | 623 comments Shannara wrote: "Aly wrote: "Karen wrote: "Up to ch4. Interesting to see how we’re being encouraged to feel about Snow."

Yeah, I can't really feel compassion for him knowing him later. But villains evolve from som..."

Man, I really fell into the trap of loving Snow while reading this. Yeah, the ending changed that.

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Up to ch17. The Games itself is a rather lacklustre affair in comparison to the ones we are already familiar with. Snow is Machiavellian in the way he rationalises his actions with potential reward.

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Aly wrote: "ch 10 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Deana - organically grown and sprinkled with wrote: "25 percent - through chapter 9

We meet a young Snow here, of old money long gone, the shine from his great family missing. We also meet his tribute Lucy - brash, lively, charismatic, rebellious. ..."

(view spoiler)

Deana The  Queen  (deanaaria) | 623 comments Karen wrote: "Deana - organically grown and sprinkled with wrote: "25 percent - through chapter 9

We meet a young Snow here, of old money long gone, the shine from his great family missing. We also meet his tr..."

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Deana - organically grown and sprinkled with wrote: "50 percent - through chapter 17

(view spoiler)

Deana The  Queen  (deanaaria) | 623 comments Karen wrote: "Deana - organically grown and sprinkled with wrote: "50 percent - through chapter 17

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Up to ch21. (view spoiler)

message 47: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 9341 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch17. The Games itself is a rather lacklustre affair in comparison to the ones we are already familiar with. Snow is Machiavellian in the way he rationalises his actions with potential reward."

Definitely less intense and interesting as the Games we know

Deana The  Queen  (deanaaria) | 623 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch21. [spoilers removed]"

Just keep reading. To me the end made it all worth it.

Shannara | 727 comments Finished part one and I’m losing momentum here... I just can’t seem to really get into this for some reason. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Up to ch25. (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3