The Filipino Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [F2F Book Discussions] January 2015: Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool | Moderator: Louize

Comments (showing 1-50 of 107) (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Louize (last edited Mar 24, 2015 01:37AM) (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Hello. 2015 is just around the corner. So, I hope it is not too early to post this thread for the January F2F.

Our book is Navigating Early:

Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool
320 pages; 36 Chapters
Historical Fiction, Adventure
Awards:
A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year;
Kirkus Reviews - Best Children or Starred Review;
Michael L. Printz Award (2014, Honor);
Rebecca Caudill Young Reader's Book Award Nominee (2015)

Jack Baker was only nine when his father went to fight in World War II. Just as the war is winding down, Jack's mother dies and his father returns to collect thirteen-year-old Jack, and deliver him to Morton Hill Academy in Cape Fealty, Maine near the naval base where his father is stationed. Jack is lonely and feels disconnected from his classmates until he meets Early Auden. During fall break the two boys set out for the Appalachian Trail on a quest to find a great black bear.

Jack befriends Early, a unique boy who has an extraordinary ability in math. While it is implied that Early has high functioning autism, the author's note explains that the word "autistic" is not used in the story in order to be historically accurate. The two boys form a friendship and embark upon a journey that is rich with discussion worthy themes: navigating loss, believing the impossible can be true, and moving forward even if you can't see the path that's in front of you.

Reading Plan:
I. Chapters 1-12 = January 1-7
II. Chapters 13-26 = January 8-14
III. Chapters 27-36 = January 15-21
(But, of course you may read according to your will. Just, please, make sure to hide your comments in a spoiler tag if you are reading or commenting ahead of the plan.)
(view spoiler)

Activities:
2015 marks the start of our Bona Kid Bibo Best Participant Award. So, we encourage you to participate in both online and offline activities to earn points.

Individual:
(view spoiler)

Group:
(view spoiler)

Thank you for joining and Happy New Year!

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Commenting for notifications. Heh.

Also, I'm doing some work turnover on the first weeks of January (wohoo!), but I will try to be...uh, competitive. Hehe. But yay for activities! :D

message 3: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (fanarchist) | 490 comments Just an update, I asked at the Fully Booked branch in Century City Mall and they said that they still don't have any copies of Navigating Early in any of their stores yet, but a shipment will be arriving by January 8. I left them my phone number so they can notify me.

message 4: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Thank you for the update, Kristel.
Let us hope those are the pb edition na. :)

message 5: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4333 comments I went to NBS this afternoon and the book is out of stock in all their branches. Hopefully FB will have sufficient copies on the 8th.

message 6: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2085 comments Even Books Kinokuniya in SG is out of stock. :( (view spoiler)

message 7: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1332 comments Commenting for notifications. (view spoiler)
EXCITED! :D

message 8: by Ingrid (last edited Jan 02, 2015 08:07AM) (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 590 comments Bibo kids!

EDIT: The first activity is quite difficult for me. I mostly have the same descriptions in mind with those who filled in the spaces before I did. Hindi ba pwedeng mag-ulit? :))

message 9: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1187 comments Hi everyone! Commenting for notification purpose also. :)

message 10: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 715 comments Ingrid: Hanap ka na lang ng synonyms, if you have the same descriptions in mind. Haha!

message 11: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Ingrid: Or, ibang language gamitin mo! :)

message 12: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 590 comments Using synonyms for now haha

message 13: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1332 comments Hi, synonyms hurt my brain. Is it required to put two words? Or is one enough? I guess I will opt to use other language

message 14: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Maria Ella wrote: "Hi, synonyms hurt my brain. Is it required to put two words? Or is one enough? I guess I will opt to use other language"

Two (2) words po.

message 15: by Mawi (new)

Mawi | 139 comments hi I'm new and i would like to join both individual and group activities. i was wondering about the 2nd part of the individual activity, i don't know what to put in there since i'm new and don't know much about you guys :)

message 16: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4333 comments Done! I hope to get a copy this week.

message 17: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Hi, Mawi! Sorry, you could skip the 2nd part of the Individual activity. You are welcome to join the Group activity, though. I suggest that you join the Facebook TFG group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/25639...

message 18: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Hi, Angus! Miss you!
I'll call Fullybooked again on the 8th. Hope they have the copies na.

message 19: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2085 comments Question Mommy L! What if may umulit sa one-word descriptions? :D

message 20: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Monique wrote: "Question Mommy L! What if may umulit sa one-word descriptions? :D"

Okay lang din naman 'yun. But it pays to be creative, right? :)

message 21: by Mawi (new)

Mawi | 139 comments hi! thanks! i'll still fill up the first part and i'll be the oddball with no description from friends hehe ;) will try to join as much activities as i can this year to get to know you :)

message 22: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 715 comments Hi Mawi! Looking forward to meet you soon. :)

message 23: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Mawi wrote: "hi! thanks! i'll still fill up the first part and i'll be the oddball with no description from friends hehe ;) will try to join as much activities as i can this year to get to know you :)"

Excited to see more of you! Malay mo, before the 16th people may have already fill something under your name. :)

message 24: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Hi, Mawi! Looking forward to read your comments on the discussion! And hope to see you on discussion day? :)

message 25: by Gay (new)

Gay | 58 comments nakaka-amaze yung spreadsheet :D

message 26: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 726 comments Mayroon akong nakasabay mag fill up ng spreadsheet. Kaaliw, ang tagal niyang mag-isip! Haha

It's like watching people buy at Book Depository.:D

message 27: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2085 comments May nakasabay din ako, feeling ko si Benny yun. Hihi.

message 28: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Reminder: Deadline for the groupings is on January 10.

message 29: by Mawi (new)

Mawi | 139 comments hi Louize, Meliza, Tina thanks a lot! Looking forward to meeting all of you, as well! :) Ako yata yung matagal mag-fill up haha :D

message 30: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2042 comments Two words lang? Bitin ako. Hahaha

message 31: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 726 comments Dear Aaron,

One (1) word description lang daw.

Love always,
Female Gandalf

message 32: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2042 comments Corrected. :D

hyphenated words are considered one word! (in my universe at least. Haha)

message 33: by Monique (last edited Jan 05, 2015 09:44PM) (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2085 comments Dear Ronnie:

If you only knew. Hahaha. (Ibulong ko sa yo sa F2F.) Hahaha! Peace, cousin. :D

message 34: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 726 comments What's the word for not following instructions. Puede bang NFI?

Lagot ka sa akin, Aaron! :D

message 35: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2042 comments That's not even a word. That's an acronym! :P

Cousin: I just realized I was on a (very fragile) glasshouse there. Hahaha

message 36: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Bakit kaya may blanks?

message 37: by Louize (last edited Jan 06, 2015 06:36PM) (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Hi there! How's the reading so far?
For those waiting for their print copies, I'll be calling Fullybooked again later to confirm the stock's arrival. It's an easy read, I'm sure you'll be able to catch up.

Question #1 = 2pts
(view spoiler)

Note: Will post the event invite later this afternoon. Had problems with the initial venue (long story). Confirming with another one this afternoon.

message 38: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2085 comments Question #1

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1900 comments Unlurking! Hahaha. Poor internet connection makes me a poor net student! And, golly how many synonyms can a person try to make? Can I just invent a word then place it in the urban dictionary for reference?

message 40: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1187 comments Question #1

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Ranee wrote: "Unlurking! Hahaha. Poor internet connection makes me a poor net student! And, golly how many synonyms can a person try to make? Can I just invent a word then place it in the urban dictionary for re..."

Whatever works for you! :)

message 42: by Mawi (new)

Mawi | 139 comments Question #1

(view spoiler)

yay for first discussion participation! :) please excuse the newbie-ness haha

message 43: by Tin (last edited Jan 07, 2015 04:26AM) (new)

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Question #1:(view spoiler)

message 44: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 726 comments Question #1

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Question 1

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Maverick (new)

Maverick (super_mannztv) | 2 comments I read the storyline above and I find it interesting. Do you know have updates if this is available here in Metro Manila? How much? Thanks to those who will reply. By the way, this is my first post in this group. :-)

message 47: by Louize (last edited Jan 07, 2015 06:45PM) (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Hi, Maverick. Today is supposedly the arrival as per Fullybooked. Checked with them last night, but it's not yet in their system. The hb edition is P680, pb might range from P350-450 (in reference to Amazon price). Meanwhile, the audiobook is available via the 30-day free trial @ Audible starting today.

message 48: by Maverick (new)

Maverick (super_mannztv) | 2 comments thanks Louise for the info.. :-)

message 49: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1822 comments Aaron: You don't need to bottle up all the descriptions you need to say. Write your own spreadsheet?! hehehe :)

Reminder: Group enlisting will end tomorrow. So, if you want to be part of the fun and earn points, enlist soon!

Biena (The Library Mistress) (biena) | 447 comments Kwesi made me read a Clare Vanderpool book last year. I liked it. I shall hunt for a copy!

^___^

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Navigating Early (other topics)