The Subversives discussion

Platypus

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:50AM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) | 31 comments plat·y·pus –noun, plural -pus·es, -pi a small, aquatic, egg-laying monotreme, Ornithorhynchus anatinus, of Australia and Tasmania, having webbed feet, a tail like that of a beaver, a sensitive bill resembling that of a duck, and, in adult males, venom-injecting spurs on the ankles of the hind limbs, used primarily for fighting with other males during the breeding season.

This animal is basically a "frankenstein" (that's frankenSTEEN) of about three other animals. I think it makes a lovely mascot for the subversives.

The platypus has intrigued me this afternoon. Now I want to know more about it... Here's hoping that the library has something on the subject.

message 2: by Brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:50AM) (new)

Brian | 32 comments Mod
Random fact about platypi number one:

The duck bill is magnetically sensitive, and is used to root through mud and sense electrical impulses from the nerve cells of their pray.

When you're a chronic insomniac, it's either a non-stop barrage of "Girls Gone Wild" commercials or Animal Planet.

I picked Animal Planet.

message 3: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:50AM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) | 31 comments What channels am I watching? I get hours upon hours of Tassimo hot drink system and Beach Body infomercials.

message 4: by Brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:51AM) (new)

Brian | 32 comments Mod
At about 3 a.m., I automatically rule out all channels but the AP or the Comedy Central, because nothing else seems quite as entertaining when you're punch drunk sleepy as "real naked girls!" or "The World's Most Extreme Animals!!!!"

I'm beginning to wonder which videos feature the fake naked girls, and whether you just think they're naked or they're actually surreptitiously clothed. And nothing makes you want to fall asleep/kill yourself faster than Doug Stanholz going "Show us where babies feed, it's natural!" over. And. Over. And. Over.

And then there's the part when Most Extreme made the tiger beetle the fastest animal in the world. Horsesh*t. They just needed the ratings...everyone knows it's the spike-tailed swift. But they did point out that sharks are the most sensitive animals in the world, and illustrate their point with poorly designed glowing green graphics. So I forgave them. What would you do?

Although sometimes AMC will show Goddard films after midnight, which is cool, but I've only stumbled on "Le Petit Soldat," and it was just the one time. Normally it's the standard Carey Grant movie or "Breakfast at Tiffany's" for the umpteenth time.

Ah, late night cable television. Nothing will leech your love of humankind from your body faster.

message 5: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:51AM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) | 31 comments My problem with turning the t.v. on at 3 in the morning is that I'll get sucked into damn-near anything that's on. I'm a total t.v. junkie.

Your statement regarding Real Naked Girls reminds me of a time, years ago, flying in and out of LAX. There's a strip club (or was 10 years ago) on the road to and from the airport. The sign screams in bold lettering "LIVE. LIVE. LIVE. ALL LIVE SHOW!!!!" and all I could think was, "you wouldn't want to advertise "dead.dead.dead.all dead show.""

[edited to fix my bad spelling:]

message 6: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) | 31 comments Oh, how I love Jonny Quest. My first cartoon crush was on Race Bannon. My first real-person t.v. crush was on Paul Drake from Perry Mason. They're basically the same person - tall, broad, square-jawed, and white-haired.

message 7: by Roberta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Roberta (robbi_t) Is a tiger beetle really considered an animal? (That's why I don't watch t.v.) ;)

message 8: by Brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Brian | 32 comments Mod
The tiger beetle falls into the animal kingdom, along with all other insects. So I guess, yeah.

I had always kind of divided the biological world into three categories: That which you can eat, that which you can't eat, and that which you could eat but would probably kill you.

Take that, Linnaeus.

I always sorta thought Paul Drake was just really, really blond.

Anyone see the remake of Johnny Quest using CGI in the late 1990's? Not ashamed to admit I was addicted...I was 13 years old, then.

message 9: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) | 31 comments Samurai Jack, huh? If I have to choose a Cartoon Network crush it would probably be Johnny Bravo or Shake. Yes, I know that Shake is a shake and not a human but, really, in the animated world, does it matter?

You're not the first to posit the Quest/Banner question. I agree that the "look" in the opening sequence is pretty telling.

message 10: by Brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

Brian | 32 comments Mod
I carry a bazooka with me into the jungle all the time. I started this practice in 1973 (a full ten years before I was born), as related to me by a disembodied myself from a future alternate timeline, after discovering unfortunate encounter with a bazooka-toting scientist would end my life in 2709.

Since this revelation, I've traveled the jungles of the world, hunting bazooka-toting scientists down with ruthless, efficiency, disembodied alternate me said. For my efforts, I was inexplicably awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in Alternate Year 2006.

This culminated in moving my alternate future death to AY 2012, when a time traveling future-me-hunting-bazooka-toting-scientists encountered past-me-hunting-bazooka-toting-scientists and put a simultaneous end to the quantum dynamic, as well as the future alternate timeline and my last best hope of winning a Nobel prize.

Thus, I am the only person in the entire alternate future history to unwittingly commit suicide by bazooka.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 15, 2008 05:35PM) (new)

Umm...really. I find nothing cute about the platypus. A freak of nature, maybe.

[Haha:] Brian, you must have been a cartoon character in your previous lifetime.

message 12: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) | 31 comments oh.my.lord. Sherri, I love that website.

message 13: by Brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Brian | 32 comments Mod
Ria,

You don't like the platypus?

As Pope, I hereby excommunicate you, then recommunicate you.

Would an Okapi or a spiny anteater or some sort of wallaby be more acceptable to you (perhaps a Tiger Beetle)? I kind of picked the platy at random.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Brian,

It's not that I don't like the platypus. The poor thing has problems of its own. In case no one seems to notice, the platypus is an ENDANGERED species.

On second thought, maybe making it a mascot would raise awareness on its plight.