Axis Mundi X discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed for the Winter > Missing that person

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
Tomorrow I only have to work 3 hours, then I am off to home, Woo Hoo. I think when you are in a long term relationship/marriage some separation is good. Separation re-affirms your appreciation for a loved one. This doesn’t mean I’m suddenly going to start participating in lent or anything silly like that, just that I see the wisdom behind it.

Does this make sense or am I completely off my rocker?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Not Catholic so I don't know what Lent has to do with it, but absence makes the heart grow fonder.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) I know that if I spend to much time with my significant other, that I go nuts (but in a good way)

so, yeah... after 18 years, I don't mind a bit of a break.

My husband did a month long poetry fellowship last year and it was refreshing. Made me realize what I had (corny, I know)

Isn't lent the thing where one gives up something important to them for 40 days or something? At lest that is what I thought it was. If not then Umm... Yeah I guess this doesn't really make sense, the point is I miss my wife, and am happy to go tomorrow.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yes, Nick, it is, but I don't think you're supposed to give up your spouse. Or sex if you're married. I thought the purpose of Lent was to give up something that comes between you and God, like giving up a vice or swearing or something. I know a lot of people give up chocolate or something but I thought that wasn't really the point.

But I'm not Catholic, so I could be wrong. That was just what I thought it was supposed to be about.

That’s what I am talking about Kim. Good separation. It allows you to miss them for once instead of being "In your face" not that, that happens just that’s how it feels sometimes.

Well, my wife is definatly not a bad influance on me. Honestly she makes me a better person. No matter how much i fight it, I feel little rays of sunshine seeping into my pores and that makes me angry. Unfortunalty, I can not stop the seperation. it's my job. 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, 84 hours a week.

Wow A lot of typo's let me try that agian...

Well, my wife is defiantly not a bad influence on me. Honestly she makes me a better person. No matter how much I fight it, I feel little rays of sunshine seeping into my pores and that makes me angry. Unfortunatly, I can not stop the separation. It’s my job. 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, 84 hours a week

message 9: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 19, 2008 05:41PM) (new)

RandomAnthony So you're not with her for two weeks, then you're together a lot for two weeks? That must be hard.

My wife and kids to my wife's mom's house, out east, for two weeks every summer. I don't go so my mother-in-law can avoid visiting bodily harm on each other. I went last year and lasted a little less than a week before we parted, ahem, to keep the peace. Long story.

Anyway, honestly, I miss my wife and kids while they're gone, but it's a finite period, and I'm kind of isolative, so I would be lying if I were to say I didn't enjoy the solitude. I read all night, work in the garden, go to movies, etc. My wife, then, doesn't have to worry about my growing bored in a desperately rural area or fighting with her mom. I like to think it's win/win. Still, I'm always glad when they return.

I think some separation is good. I don't understand those couples who are with each other all the time, at the supermarket, etc. That would drive me nuts.

message 10: by Sarah (last edited Mar 19, 2008 05:51PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Brent works from home and I am a housewife, so we're in the same house together all day but usually in different rooms. Unless one of us is rehearsing a show the other's not in, we spend our evenings together as well as our weekends. We do the grocery shopping together but I cannot have him with me when I shop for clothes or books.

When he has rehearsal and I'm home, it's nice a few nights a week but every night gets lonely. I'm just a really social person (in case you hadn't noticed by my kazillion posts) and I like having people around to talk to and hang out with.

Also, Nick, did you know you can edit your posts? You don't have to post again to fix typos.

message 11: by Arminius (new)

Arminius I think separation helps a relationship. People tend to appreciate their spouses more when they are not around for a while. It least in my case this has happened.
And I believe that you can give up anything for lent and it lasts until Easter.

RA:
Yeah, 2 on 2 off... well until next month, the oil companies are losing a lot of money these days, so were downsizing. Starting next month I will begin a grueling 3 weeks on 1 week off deal.{:-/ That is going to be hard on us.

Sarah:
I don't know if I could spend everyday at home with my wife. We are both really stubborn, and selfish. When I'm home for my 2 weeks we usually just hang out at night, walking the dog, going out with friends, luv'ns ect.

Arminius:
Right on man.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.