The Dresden Files Read-Along discussion

Open Thread

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Berkley Publishing Group (berkleypub) | 14 comments Mod
The thread is for discussing any and all things Dresden Files!

message 2: by Paulum Mortis (new)

Paulum Mortis | 14 comments A completely open thread for the Dresden Files? So I could ask detailed magic and worldbuilding questions about the Dresdenverse and like…. crowdsource the internet to see if what I’m thinking is even possible?

Without worrying about spoilers or anything?

message 3: by Will (new)

Will Bell | 1 comments I don't know if Butcher has said this anywhere, but I feel like The Dresden Files are the journals that McCoy suggests Harry should write.

message 4: by Paulum Mortis (last edited Jan 28, 2020 05:24PM) (new)

Paulum Mortis | 14 comments I’ve come up with three questions; a big one, a little one, and a naughty one. And even if it’s FOOL MOON applicable I’ll save the big one for another day I think.

So, White Court vampires have low levels of fecundity and immunity to infection. You can tell because Whites don’t have swarms of baby vamps clomping underfoot, and Thomas doesn’t seem concerned with the extended consequences of a gut-shot. We know the demon is offering more than combat prowess. What I want to know is whether the Hunger is obliterating ALL infection before it takes hold, or simply making it so they can’t feel any of the symptoms?

It doesn’t matter how hetero you think you are; you, me, and everyone else in the world could be convinced to burn a year or so tongue down with Lara Raith…

Will I have to spend what’s remaining of my truncated lifespan carrying around something nasty? ‘Cos I really don’t like the idea of that at all!

message 5: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin Mazur | 27 comments Paulum Mortis wrote: "I’ve come up with three questions; a big one, a little one, and a naughty one. And even if it’s FOOL MOON applicable I’ll save the big one for another day I think.

So, White Court vampires have lo..."

the Hunger does heal the body - the whites can take incredible amount of abuse and bounce back once they feed. regarding bacterias and viruses - good question - I guess they won't show the symptoms, but they may still be carriers of all sorts of things. Also - if you have someone like Thomas that is starving himself - his ability to regenerate is compromised.

regarding a session with lara or lord wraith - i'd hate to lose my little self-control - but maybe that's just my personal issues. I don't see the appeal of getting fed on by any of the vampires.

message 6: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin Mazur | 27 comments Spoilers allowed? yay - I have a big question that is driving me nuts for a while:
All those references to Harry being some sort of super-wizard that can take on Outsiders - are they going anywhere? Will we ever see a story about how Harry's parents met? We know Margaret left lord Wraith and then when he tracked her she was with Harry's dad - but what happened in the middle? Did she know she's supposed to do that? The message she left in Thomas and Harry suggests she had prior knowledge - she died in childbirth, how was she supposed to do that message if she didn't even know Harry?
Anyway - maybe Lea could shed some light on the subject, not that she'd do it willingly...

message 7: by Paulum Mortis (new)

Paulum Mortis | 14 comments Yasmin wrote: "I don't see the appeal..."
…clearly you’ve never met Lara Raith. Heh. Unimportant.

How his parents met, and the situation surrounding his birth… don’t think we have enough information yet to give a proper answer, but I can offer a couple of hints:

Mags LeFay was in a Twilighty relationship for a while before Thomas came along. DuMorne and she at least knew one another, and both he and White King were connected to Walks Behind… Thomas is less than six years older than Harry, and Thomas remembers his mother a little… so, three or four when she left… with enough time having passed for at least a “probably” fell in love with Malcolm.

The timeline is a bit cramped, but possible, and he was born Samhain Night to Thomas’s Valentine’s Day. LeFay did know it was coming, as you’ve said, ‘cos she had the wherewithal to both dope slap Raith with a death curse and leave a psychic voicemail…

Dunno if that answers a question or even helps. Guess it could be Harry Pottered up, and have Dresden turn out to be a child of prophecy. This... wouldn’t surprise me, what with the whole Starborn confluence thingy we don’t know anything about.

---

Will: "the journals that McCoy suggests Harry should write"

Could go into a fair bit of detail as to why this is probably true… two different scenes with Mab, and “Don’t look at me like that […] it made sense at the time” seems maybe something you’d write down after the fact?

message 8: by Greg (new)

Greg (danceyeah) | 4 comments Yasmin wrote: "Spoilers allowed? yay - I have a big question that is driving me nuts for a while:
All those references to Harry being some sort of super-wizard that can take on Outsiders - are they going anywhere..."

I read somewhere...I don't recall where...that Butcher has some sort of apocalyptic trilogy planned for somewhere down the line. So, yes to the Gatekeeper/superwizard/chosen one/star born sort of thing, I think.

As for more about Harry's parents; it's hard to say. Sometimes authors leave things a little untidy, rather than wrapping them up in a nice little bow. At one point, Harry gets to talk to his dad for a minute, which is cool. I personally appreciate when an author doesn't tell you everything. There's something true to life about that.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura Thatcher  (lar-z) | 2 comments Holy freaking shirtballs! I just read the Morgan POV entry. It opens up so many things!

message 10: by Paulum Mortis (last edited Feb 04, 2020 02:26PM) (new)

Paulum Mortis | 14 comments Jesus, have you seen the Taylor Walpol picture of Karrin Murphy… most artists seem to miss that she looks a little Buffyesque, but not at the same time, and this portrait of her about to shoot me in the face with a revolver… orders of magnitude closer/better than anything I’ve ever seen!

My question: do the entries for Feb 13th need to be visual art? ‘cos I’ve got something I really want to donate… though it might take me longer than nine days to finish

---

Addendum: “Laura: …shirtballs! I just read Morgan’s POV”

Oh bloodyhell, can’t believe it took me 4hrs to put this together…

“It wasn;t your fault you got raised by that son of a bitch DuMorne” – Ebenezer #6BR This line has bothered me for years. As has the question of HOW Justin knew he’d used magic for the first time during the school Olympics thing.

Had DuMorne planted him in foster care and masked his presence soundly enough that even Blackstaff McCoy couldn’t find him… Ruthless, he didn’t five a piss about the kid, just picked him up when finally old enough to be useful?

message 11: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin Mazur | 27 comments Laura wrote: "Holy freaking shirtballs! I just read the Morgan POV entry. It opens up so many things!"

me too - wow - morgan was supposed to do what?!? that takes Tough Love to a whole new level!
Given the choice between those 2, I'm pretty sure I'd want to run back to the orphenage...

message 12: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin Mazur | 27 comments Paulum Mortis wrote: "Jesus, have you seen the Taylor Walpol picture of Karrin Murphy… most artists seem to miss that she looks a little Buffyesque, but not at the same time, and this portrait of her about to shoot me i..."

they're doing artist spotlights on the site - I'm sure they'd appreciate art donations on anything.

message 13: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin Mazur | 27 comments Morgan's POV story raises an interesting question - Margaret knew some of the future - she know Wraith would come after her, she knew Harry would probably lose his father too - so who did she want to raise Harry after her death?
Justine? Ebenezer? Lea? surely not Morgan?!
Ebenezer wanted Morgan to do it, I bet Margaret and Justine had some sort of arrangement of their own.

message 14: by Ted (new)

Ted (tedeg) | 3 comments Wait, what Morgan POV story?

message 15: by Meryl (new)

Meryl | 11 comments Paulum Mortis wrote: "Jesus, have you seen the Taylor Walpol picture of Karrin Murphy… most artists seem to miss that she looks a little Buffyesque, but not at the same time, and this portrait of her about to shoot me i..."

YES - I just read that Morgan journal entry. That more or less turned over my whole worldview about Morgan. Wow wow wow. And, that Margaret had put Morgan into the mix of her protections for Harry is also a mindblower.

message 16: by Ted (new)

Ted (tedeg) | 3 comments Oh, that Morgan POV story.

message 17: by Nasim (new)

Nasim Bahador | 5 comments Laura wrote: "Holy freaking shirtballs! I just read the Morgan POV entry. It opens up so many things!"

???Where do I find this???

message 18: by Rashaun (new)

Rashaun | 8 comments The Morgan POV is on jim-butcher.com

message 19: by Nasim (new)

Nasim Bahador | 5 comments Rashaun wrote: "The Morgan POV is on jim-butcher.com"

THANK YOU!!!!!!

message 20: by Rashaun (new)

Rashaun | 8 comments Nasim wrote: "Rashaun wrote: "The Morgan POV is on jim-butcher.com"

THANK YOU!!!!!!"

You are welcome

message 21: by Julie (new)

Julie Gattis (jukiee) | 32 comments Hi, I've had a question that has been bothering me. When did he acquire Bob and where did he hide him? Bob the Skull helped Harry at the mini market from the video game, but Harry didn't seem aware it wasn't part of the game. When he was gaining power with Lea, I don't think he had the skull. Unless Lea gave it to him, but that is a huge gift. After the duel with Justin is when I assume he picked up Bob's skull. Wouldn't Justin have hid the skull and not left it for easy pickings? Then he was captured and put on trial by the White Council and ended up on Ebenezer's farm. Where and when did he hide Bob? The Council would have searched him. Did he have Bob on the farm?

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie Gattis (jukiee) | 32 comments I must have missed that Nicodemus is balding, I was surprised by Walpole's illustrations.

message 23: by Paulum Mortis (new)

Paulum Mortis | 14 comments Julie wrote: "...been bothering me. When did he acquire Bob and where did he hide him?"

There is a gap here I think.

So he goes to school alone because Elaine is “sick.” Comes home early because he’s worried, skipping sixth period Spanish. DuMorne and an enthralled girlfriend try to talk him down, and when that fails attack him, he jumps out a window and runs off. Watches stoner Stan die and fights Walks Behind.

THEN, Lea shows up. Makes the bargain of “life for power” but really just tortures him for a week Magic Feather style. Returns to outskirts Des Moines, Iowa… kills his teacher in a duel, and burns their house to the ground. With Elaine trapped inside.

*BEAT*

White Council show up some time later, he gets bound, gagged, and McCoy saves him under the Doom of Damocles. Elaine ends up protected by the Summer Court.

Between DuMorne’s death and the Wardens arresting him, he has time to “dig through the smouldering ruins of Justin’s lab,” find Bob, and I think bury the skull under a rock, where it remaines hidden for a couple of years… I still think there’s a gap though. Like how did Elaine escape, how did he have time, and how did the Wardens know? There may be a blank spot in his memory and Harry himself doesn’t remember everything that happened.

message 24: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin Mazur | 27 comments Julie wrote: "Hi, I've had a question that has been bothering me. When did he acquire Bob and where did he hide him? Bob the Skull helped Harry at the mini market from the video game, but Harry didn't seem aware..."

ooohh - you're right - Harry said he got Bob from Justin but he couldn't have had it with him during the trial...
Possibly Bob was hidden somewhere in the burned house, and Harry went back to look... not necessarily for Bob, but just look around for whatever he could find - and then found Bob?
Another option is he did find Bob right after Justin died, but he either hid it or Bob hid himself from others - the skull looks like a regular skull if Bob isn't making it sparkle.

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie Gattis (jukiee) | 32 comments In SK when Harry calls the White Council for help and Morgan flips out, in his rant he says, " Insanity was pulling you from that burning house two years ago." In previous readings I didn't look at the time and assumed it was Justin's house so he was arrested right away. Could it have been Bianca's mansion?
Had the war been going on two years? No first chapter Billy tells Dresden he burned down her place last Fall. two years?

message 26: by Julie (new)

Julie Gattis (jukiee) | 32 comments Duh. the fire at the Lake House in Storm Front. Like Rosanne Roseannadanna, " Nevermind."

message 27: by Lee (new)

Lee (2scoutmom) | 3 comments A couple of people have mentioned “Mirror Mirror”. What is this? Is it a short story or a graphic novel? I thought I was caught up on short stories and I know I have a few graphic novels that I have missed. TIA!

message 28: by Paulum Mortis (new)

Paulum Mortis | 14 comments Mirror, Mirror is a diverging chain of events set off by ONE CHOICE made differently during the events of GRAVE PERIL. It apparently results in the kind of universe where Dresden had gone more-or-less super evil, and Marcone has a goatee… thereby, making him evil too I guess?

So Evil-Dresden kidnaps Prime-Dresden and—I think frames him for murder. It’s the book after PEACE TALKS… so #17.

What’s funny is, I am absolutely certain I know the line in bk#3 which diverges the series, to the point I’d be willing to bet actually cash money on being right!

message 29: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin Mazur | 27 comments Paulum Mortis wrote: "Mirror, Mirror is a diverging chain of events set off by ONE CHOICE made differently during the events of GRAVE PERIL. It apparently results in the kind of universe where Dresden had gone more-or-l..."

LOL - good one - but not a helpful answer - it's the book after Peace Talks and we don't know anything about it.

message 30: by Lee (new)

Lee (2scoutmom) | 3 comments Thank you. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything.