2021 Reading Challenge discussion

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3)
This topic is about The Lost Symbol
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon #3)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nóri | 70 comments I'm going to start this today, and I have high hopes that it will bring me out of my current reading slump!

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1084 comments Good luck! I will be starting this soon.

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1084 comments I started this today and it is going pretty quick so far.

Dominique  | 755 comments L'm behind but will start by the end of the week.

Nóri | 70 comments A few (non-spoilery) observations at the halfway point:

1. Langdon is being awfully sceptical for a person who literally found the freaking Holy Grail just a few years ago. It's reiterated over and over again that he doesn't believe in these ancient secrets actually existing, which got annoying pretty fast. If they actually find this thing by the end of the book and he still acts like this in the next one, I will be really pissed.

2. Speaking of the previous books, I could take a bit more referencing back. So far there's been two mentions of his adventures in Paris and Rome, and they were maybe a line each. I understand the need to make each book self-contained for new readers, but given how close him and Sophie were by the end of The Da Vinci Code, I expected at least a short mention like "they were together for a few years, but then distance made it impossible", or something. The same way he reminisced about Vittoria in the previous book, basically.

3. I feel like Brown went way overboard with the multiple perspectives in this one. Langdon, Katherine, and the bad guy having their own POV I understand, but the assistant, the security guard, the police chief, the hacker, the editor, the 911 operator... it's too much, especially since some of these are only a few pages and could be easily incorporated into one of the main ones, if he tried.

4. Finally, I now know enough never to believe Dan Brown when he claims that all these secret societies, myths and scientific discoveries he writes about are depicted 100% factually correctly, but so far I've always been able to suspend my disbelief long enough for it not to bother me. For example, I don't know anything about antimatter, so when he said that a tiny grain of it is enough to blow up the Vatican, I was like sure, why not. This time however, what he writes about is basically pseudo-science, and when he makes claims like "noetic science found conslusive, irrefutable answers to questions such as whether humans have souls or if there's an afterlife"... yeah, that's bullshit. Which is obviously fine in a book of fiction but then don't put "all the science in this book is real" at the very beginning of it, maybe.

So yeah I have a few scruples, but other than that it's the usual, fast-paced, page-turning Dan Brow fare, and after all, I'm only halfway through...

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1084 comments I finished this one. I agree that some of the perspectives could have been cut out a little and incorporated into some of the main characters. I do like the different perspectives in this book, but he could have done with 2 or 3.

It was fast-paced like the other books, which is what I enjoy from these books.

(view spoiler)

Dominique  | 755 comments Ashley wrote: "I finished this one. I agree that some of the perspectives could have been cut out a little and incorporated into some of the main characters. I do like the different perspectives in this book, but..."

I agree with you.
(view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.