2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > World Without End (Kingsbridge #2)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2666 comments Anyone starting this yet? I'll probably start it today and read it very slowly to attempt to stretch it to March. If anyone's curious, you'd need to read 18 pages per day starting today to finish on March 31.

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (nicehotcupoftea) | 150 comments I've read the first chapter and am already enjoying it. Thanks SarahKat for that calculation, I'm going to stick to that rhythm. I'm also jotting names down as I go, I'm expecting a large cast in such a big book!

message 3: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2666 comments That's a good idea. Even for the first few sections I've had to stop and think about which kids belong to which parents.

message 4: by Chrissy (last edited Feb 06, 2020 04:56PM) (new)

Chrissy | 224 comments I finished the first four chapters so far, listening to the audiobook. I kind of wished I had a list of characters/family tree to look at, so I found one. Unfortunately, looking at it spoils some future relationships, but I didn’t look at it long enough to see anything I didn’t already expect! I could post the top corner that shows the characters in the first few chapters if folks want.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 928 comments I'm a little more than halfway through and I actually like this book better than Pillars of the Earth, which I had mixed feelings about. (Don't worry, I won't make any spoiler comments.)

I started reading this one a couple months ago which is why I'm so far ahead. I like to read a few pages of several books each day, so I still have probably another 6-7 weeks of reading to finish this one.

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments I just got this and will be starting it soon.

message 7: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2666 comments I finished chapter 11. Some thoughts that stuck out:

Merthin: (view spoiler)

Ralph: (view spoiler)

Gwenda: (view spoiler)

It is still hard to keep track of who is related to whom and how but it's getting a little easier if I spend some time thinking about it. And luckily Follett seems to be aware of this issue and reminds the reader of the relationships between characters often enough.

message 8: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 224 comments I hit the halfway mark! I’m enjoying it, though not without reservations.

message 9: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2666 comments I'm going to try to speed up my reading of this one a little bit. I was trying really hard to get Les Mis read before the end of the month and finally finished it.

I'm a little over 200 pages in... I think chapter 18 or 19. Some of the things that have happened were pretty graphic. Don't read while eating. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 224 comments I'm closing in on the end, I'll probably finish by early next week. Follett really likes his unredeemable bad guys!

message 11: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2666 comments I'm about halfway through now. I really like this book but it makes me so angry! Every time things seem to be going well, some jerk ruins everything.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 928 comments I'm about 70% of the way through. I like this one better than the first one, maybe just because I'm more familiar with the time period? Also, fewer rapes, at least so far.

message 13: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2666 comments RJ from the LBC wrote: "I'm about 70% of the way through. I like this one better than the first one, maybe just because I'm more familiar with the time period? Also, fewer rapes, at least so far."

Interesting. I definitely liked the first one better. I think the characters I liked in the first one were much more likable. I don't feel very attached to any of the characters in this one. They are all sort of rubbish. I'm rooting for Caris, but I wouldn't say she's likable.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 928 comments I'm about 2 weeks away from finishing. How's everyone else doing?

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments I have little less than 200 pages left. should finish it in the next week.

message 16: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2666 comments I think I'm around page 740. (view spoiler)

On another note, reading about the plague during the coronavirus outbreak (we just got our first cases in my state last week) is a bit surreal.
"In Florence, the nuns counseled us to stay at home as much as possible, and avoid social gatherings, markets, and meetings of guilds and councils."

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 928 comments SarahKat wrote: "I think I'm around page 740. [spoilers removed]

On another note, reading about the plague during the coronavirus outbreak (we just got our first cases in my state last week) is a bit surreal.
"In..."

I'm a little bit past that point, but I'm glad you brought up the plague. Reading about it in the middle of the coronavirus madness is quite surreal, I agree. I keep waiting for the part where Caris has to stand in line for 3 hours at Ye Old Costco for hand sanitizer and toilet paper.

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1088 comments I was thinking the same thing about the timing of reading this.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 928 comments I'm about a week away from finishing. How's everyone else doing?

message 20: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2666 comments I finished yesterday! While I didn't love any of the characters, I cared about the overall strife of the town and certain innocent victims of the bully characters.

The plague stuff was really disturbing like I said just because of the pandemic we're in the middle of now. Towards the end, (view spoiler)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 928 comments I finished it! Enjoyed this one a little more than the first one, like I mentioned before. I'll hold off on reading the third one for a while I think.

By the way, has anyone else heard that a fourth installment will be released this year? The Evening and the Morning will be a prequel to the series.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.