Pick-a-Shelf discussion

The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)
This topic is about The Wise Man's Fear
Buddy Reads (Just Read It!) > The Wise Man's Fear Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bea (last edited Feb 03, 2020 01:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
This book has no index. It consists of a one page prologue, 151 chapters and a one page epilogue.

I suggest that we decide how many weeks we want to take to read it...4-6 and then come up with pages per week.

At 4 weeks, it would be approximately 248 pages per week.
At 5 weeks, approximately 200.
At 6 weeks, approximately 165.

What do you think, Marina? And when do you want to start?

Reading schedule for 4 weeks:
Week 1 (Feb 2-8): chapters 1-32 (pages 1-248)
Week 2 (Feb 9-15): chapters 33-73 (pages 249-497)
Week 3 (Feb 16-22): chapters 74-113 (pages 498-746)
Week 4 (Feb 23-29): chapters 114-end (pages 747-994)

message 2: by Bea (last edited Feb 03, 2020 01:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
Participants:

Bea
Marina

This is open to anyone else who wants to jump in.

message 3: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 2566 comments i'll caution you guys there is a bit of a cliff-hanger and book 3 still isn't out....

message 4: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "i'll caution you guys there is a bit of a cliff-hanger and book 3 still isn't out...."

Dee, do you know the expected date for Book #3?

message 5: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 2566 comments Bea wrote: "Dee wrote: "i'll caution you guys there is a bit of a cliff-hanger and book 3 still isn't out...."

Dee, do you know the expected date for Book #3?"

the edge of never?? honestly he's been saying for years its written...i heard rumint of 2020 - but i'll believe it when i see it

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments Bea, I've had a look at the preview on Amazon and it looks like there is a table of contents... 🤔 Anyway, I believe 4 weeks would be fine for me, what do you think? As for starting, whenever you want. I think I'll buy the ebook anyway, so no problem in that respect.

message 7: by Bea (last edited Feb 02, 2020 07:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Bea, I've had a look at the preview on Amazon and it looks like there is a table of contents... 🤔 Anyway, I believe 4 weeks would be fine for me, what do you think? As for starting, whenever you wa..."

Oh, shoot, Marina. I was waiting for you to say and see that you were waiting on me.

Are you doing any other Big Book reads? I just started one today.

I see we are doing it in 4 weeks. Would you want to start tomorrow or in a week? Dang, so sorry that I dropped the ball on setting this one up with you.

BTW, I have the book out of the library...I can renew it once more and have it for a total of 6 weeks. First due date: 2/17/20, so I would at least like to start reading by next week, if possible.

message 8: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
I've set up a 4 week schedule in post #1. Now all we need to decide is a start date.

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments Hey, sorry Bea, I was traveling during the weekend and didn't see your message! We could even start today if you like, so as to be done with the first part by the end of the week. Would it work for you?

message 10: by Bea (last edited Feb 03, 2020 01:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Hey, sorry Bea, I was traveling during the weekend and didn't see your message! We could even start today if you like, so as to be done with the first part by the end of the week. Would it work for..."

Sure. I can try. I might be running a few pages behind by next week, but I should be able to catch up quickly by the second week as I will be finishing off 5 books this week. And, one of them has been a BIG BOOK that I have been reading since 12/1/19.

(Added dates to schedule.)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments Good! No worries if you run a few pages behind :)

message 12: by Bea (last edited Feb 03, 2020 02:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Good! No worries if you run a few pages behind :)"

Thanks. :) I'll get started today.

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments I've found an incredibly cool website, The Kingkiller Wiki. It's great for clarifications, trivia, lists of characters, etc. I read the first book nearly 4 years ago (shame on me! 😖), so it comes in handy.

message 14: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "I've found an incredibly cool website, The Kingkiller Wiki. It's great for clarifications, trivia, lists of characters, etc. I read the first book nearly 4 years ago (shame on me! 😖), so it comes i..."

Thanks, Marina. BTW, it's been 3 years for me.

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments Haha, so I'm not the only one who's taken her time with this series 😅

message 16: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Haha, so I'm not the only one who's taken her time with this series 😅"

Nope! LOL. For me, though, it is the intimidating size of the book!

message 17: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
Starting today. Can't wait!

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments Bea wrote: "Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Haha, so I'm not the only one who's taken her time with this series 😅"

Nope! LOL. For me, though, it is the intimidating size of the book!"

Same here. I'm always intimidated by big books!

message 19: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
Marina, I am about 70 pages from the end of the first week's read, and I expect to complete that today. Yay! Did better than I expected.

Glitch in next week, however, is that I will need to travel to VA for a funeral. I will try to keep up with the reading, but I will not be able to post until I return.

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments Oh, Bea, so sorry! Definitely the worst possible reason for traveling 😥 Please don't worry about posting, I understand. We'll catch up when you get back.

I finished our first week's read yesterday and I had to restrain myself in order not to go on reading, I was so interested in what was going on! I can't wait to see (view spoiler).

I had some trouble in the beginning, as I couldn't quite catch up with the various characters, having read the first book so many years ago. But the website I linked above helped me and I believe I'm now back on track.

I have to say I really like the author's world-building, he has great imagination and attention to detail. I can feel like I really am in that world while I read.

I really liked the part (view spoiler)

message 21: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
Marina, I have started the next portion already. I think you will get some answers right away regarding Kvothe's troubles.

I am enjoying this book and am delighted that I am remembering so much of the backstory. I agree that the world-building is good as I can definitely find myself in the midst of the scenes.

What do you think of Auria? I am really intrigued by her.

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments Bea wrote: "What do you think of Auria? I am really intrigued by her."

She's a really interesting character and I'd like to know more about her. I hope we'll get some answers later on in the book. She's very sweet and reminds me of a scared little wild thing.

message 23: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
I'm back and right on track with my reading. Should finish the last piece (70p) this morning. I will post my thoughts later.

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments Good to have you back, Bea. I should be able to finish later today, I only have 3 chapters left to complete our second part.

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments So, I finished our second part yesterday and I have to admit it's getting more and more difficult to stop reading. I have other books going and I don't want to overstep our schedule, so I'm forcing myself not to step up the pace, haha.

At first I wasn't thrilled about the change of setting, I loved the University and its life, I loved Kvothe's friends, and I wanted to know what would happen in that frame. Soon after, however, I found myself enthralled by Kvothe's adventures in Severen.

I'm unsure whether I like Alveron or not - he's very haughty, but at times he does come across as a frail human being like the rest of us. I guess his haughtiness is normal for a person of his social class and importance, though.

I was so sorry about (view spoiler)

message 26: by Bea (last edited Feb 15, 2020 09:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
I enjoy all Kvothe's adventures, but his current stay in Severen is a bit worrying.

I don't trust Alveron. He seems to swing drastically from liking to hating a person. Nor was I comfortable with his decision to cut off the thumbs of the alcanist.

I'd like Kvothe to return to the university setting, but I don't think he does...I mean, he is the innkeeper who is telling the story.

What do you think of Bredon? He seems to be helping Kvothe, but I am worried that he has another agenda that will be bad for Kvothe.

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments I agree with you, Bea. I don't think Kvothe is ever going to go back to the University - if he did, he couldn't very well have become an innkeeper, could he? Same goes for Bredon. I'm wary of those who try so hard to help (well, at least in this kind of story). I have a feeling he's not going to prove so friendly after all...

message 28: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "I agree with you, Bea. I don't think Kvothe is ever going to go back to the University - if he did, he couldn't very well have become an innkeeper, could he? Same goes for Bredon. I'm wary of those..."

Marina...that is my worry to about Bredon. Nobody gives something for nothing in that world.

message 29: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "I have to admit it's getting more and more difficult to stop reading.."

The only thing that keeps me from reading ahead is the fact that I have multiple books going for various deadlines, including another buddy read!

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments Bea wrote: "Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "I have to admit it's getting more and more difficult to stop reading.."

The only thing that keeps me from reading ahead is the fact that I have multiple books going fo..."

Same here 😄

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments I finished our third part yesterday, and I hate to say it's starting to drag a bit for me... I didn't really care for the chapters dedicated to (view spoiler)

What are your thoughts? Do you feel the same, or is it just me?

message 32: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
I agree, Marina. I felt one chapter or two on Felurian would have been sufficient. And, then to go off with Kvothe rather than returning with the others! So...it was to be an adventure? How does this all hang with him as Innkeeper?

However, overall, I am still really liking this book.

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments Bea, I am enjoying it too. But I'm glad to see it wasn't just me thinking it's becoming a bit slow-paced. I hope it will improve soon enough. However, I have a feeling we won't understand how this all adds up until the third book...

message 34: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
Marina, I finished this last night. I must admit that I enjoyed this book immensely and would love to start Book #3. Alas, it is not yet published.

In the meantime, I will take a break from HUGE books before starting the next one in Prompt 2. I might try getting the smaller books of this series as a fill in, however.

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments I only have 4 chapters to go, hopefully I'll finish tonight. I'm enjoying it, too. And I already know that I will need to start book 3 after finishing, but as you say, no chance of that since it isn't published yet :(

What did you think of the Adem? I liked their matriarchal society, the way women are valued and respected. They do have odd beliefs, though, such as the one about making babies. However, their habits made me think. For instance, we would say their attitude towards sex is somewhat too casual, but they think it's absolutely normal and call the others barbarians. It made me think. After all, societal norms are what we make them, and every custom might be seen as barbarian by people who have different cultural norms. I found this interesting.

message 36: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
I have just finished another book that made me think of societal sexual norms...The Left Hand of Darkness. Thinking about the Adem after reading the Ursula K. Le Guin book makes me realize that our societal norms have been a way to live together in whatever our society found comfortable. I am a child of the time of the 60s. I did not engage in the free sexual part of that...but it is a piece of what I am talking about. I was on its periphery. I could not move out of the societal norm I had been raised in to move fully into that freedom back then.

I liked the Adem for their belief in intimacy and reserving some interactions for privacy.

(view spoiler)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1363 comments Bea, I finished reading yesterday and I'm left with the same questions... I'm very interested in knowing how Kvothe and Bast first met and what brought them together. The ending puzzled me... I don't know what to think, really. I guess we can't do anything other than anxiously wait for the next book.

Thanks for this buddy read, I don't know when I would have found the time to finally get to this otherwise.

message 38: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4511 comments Mod
Same here Marina. I was amazed at how easily the book read, but I doubt that I would have started it without doing a buddy read.

Next one is April for me.