Play Book Tag discussion

2020 Activities and Challenges > Buddy Read Discussion-The Library at Mount Char

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments Joanne and Johanne will be reading The Library at Mount Char in February-Join us if you can😁

message 2: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments yeah thanks for setting this up! I'm a bit behind on the reading of my other book, but I'll check in once I get started.

message 3: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1362 comments I read this one a while ago. It is very unique. I am looking forward to seeing what you two think about it.

message 4: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments Just read the first page. This story dives straight into it, I like that. Probably won't be reading a lot today, since it's almost bedtime in my time zone.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments Johanne wrote: "Just read the first page. This story dives straight into it, I like that. Probably won't be reading a lot today, since it's almost bedtime in my time zone."

Ok, now that I know you have started it, I will set it on the nightstand-

message 6: by Joanne (last edited Jan 28, 2020 08:03AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments Well, Johanne...do not think I will be reading this before I fall asleep again...LoL! This is going to be fun...

message 7: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments Will this be a sleepreading experience? I finished the first chapter before my eyelids got too heavy.

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments I am afraid David is going to give me nightmares!

message 9: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments Yup!

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments Ok Johanne-this is reminding me of Every Heart a Doorway series-have you read that?

message 11: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments Oh I haven't read those, just read the blurb, they sound good! Some of it reminds me of the movie 'The Ninth Gate'. It's also a book but I haven't read that. And also a splash of cool heisty stuff there. Really enjoying it. Bit over 100 pages along, I haven't had much reading time this week. How far along are you?

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments I am on page 70, so you are a bit ahead me. But like you I have not had my normal reading in the afternoon because LIFE demanded my attention~ go figure? Should catch up to you on the week-end.

I have only read the first two of Every Door-when you pick those up and finish we could do this again!

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments Ok, I finished the Barbecue and the Bull and I had to stop, I just had to stop and try to analyze WTF is going on! Father has me in a quandary. Is he a god? Or some kind of cult leader? Did I miss something of an explanation as to why these kids follow him?

This is getting pretty wild for only being 85 or so pages in. So yes, you are probably still ahead of me, but I will be reading it everyday. LoL-I have actually pegged this as my afternoon tea-time read, which is suppose to be the time I try to relax my back and muscles.... not such a good choice, eh?

message 14: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments It gets weirder still :) I think Father is an ancient powerful being. You get hints about him here and there. The kids are orphans and are taken in by Father to be taught, but he's not a good samaritan... The story unravels beautifully and things are gradually explained I think. I am about halfway. I've been reading at night, and this is not the sort of thing you should read before bedtime!

message 15: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments Johanne wrote: "It gets weirder still :) I think Father is an ancient powerful being. You get hints about him here and there. The kids are orphans and are taken in by Father to be taught, but he's not a good samar..."

Ok-but didn't father actually kill the parents? no need to answer that is it is a spoiler

message 16: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments about father (view spoiler)

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments Ok-book is next to my area where I take tea in the afternoon...You need to read this on your lunch hour instead of before bed! 😁

message 18: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments It's set close to where you live?!? Watch out for weird stuff!

message 19: by Joanne (last edited Feb 02, 2020 11:20AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments Johanne wrote: "It's set close to where you live?!? Watch out for weird stuff!"

Shut up! I thought it was California! I am already reading another book The Wishsong of Shannara that has gnomes in it-and I have a crazy fear of them...something happened in my childhood I think-gnomes( garden ornaments or any other kind) really scare me-no kidding

message 20: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments muahaha I have an ocean between the Library and me (though I don't think that's an issue for those beings)

Gnomes/ pixies have a scary place in nordic folklore, so I get that fright... We actually put out porridge for them for Christmas, an old tradition, because you didn't want them to turn against you...

message 21: by Joanne (last edited Feb 02, 2020 01:39PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments Johanne wrote: "muahaha I have an ocean between the Library and me (though I don't think that's an issue for those beings)

Gnomes/ pixies have a scary place in nordic folklore, so I get that fright... We actually..."

It does not seem to be an issue-one minute they were in Virginia (or I at least I thought they were) the next thing I knew they are in Chicago....I have just left the lion pit-where are you at so I know when I have caught up with you

message 22: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments I just finished chapter 10 Asuras. I have to take a break with this (even though I don't want to). I just got the Danish translation of the prequel to the Slated trilogy by Teri Terry for review (my side job) and I feel I should at least skim the trilogy first...

message 23: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments Johanne wrote: "I just finished chapter 10 Asuras. I have to take a break with this (even though I don't want to). I just got the Danish translation of the prequel to the Slated trilogy by Teri Terry for review (m..."

Looks interesting-I will be catching up while you work😁

message 24: by Joanne (last edited Feb 06, 2020 01:54PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments Have you had time to read any Johanna? I am starting chapter 11 today-and should read quite a bit more as I am feeling crappy and plan to just make a bit of tea and curl up in my favorite chair in a little while.

I just love Steve and Erwin...

Also want to tell you that I doubt there is anyone else who would have read this book with me and liked it too (Except Mark over in EpicF, he has read it and loved it too).So glad you came to PBT

message 25: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments Yes I love Steve and Erwin too! Hilarious characterisations in it in general.
I haven't had a chance to read further, and tomorrow it's my youngest son's 11th birthday and saturday we're having guests, so not much reading time for me...
Come monday I have some days off and I'll pick it up again and probably read it rather quickly.

message 26: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments And thanks I enjoy reading it with you too :)

message 27: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments Johanne wrote: "Yes I love Steve and Erwin too! Hilarious characterisations in it in general.
I haven't had a chance to read further, and tomorrow it's my youngest son's 11th birthday and saturday we're having gu..."

Ok! I won't feel so bad then if I devout a little time to other's crowding my night stand.

message 28: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments You do that! I'm mostly annoyed that I have to read other things for review first (I know, luxury problem. I'm even paid for those reviews plus it enhances my book knowledge I use in my regular job so I won't complain too loudly).

I'll let you know when I pick it back up :)

message 29: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments Johanne wrote: "You do that! I'm mostly annoyed that I have to read other things for review first (I know, luxury problem. I'm even paid for those reviews plus it enhances my book knowledge I use in my regular job..."

Let me know how you like Starless Sea-Could have been y mood, but I just could not get into so returned it as a 10 other people were waiting on it

message 30: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments I like it so far. I only listen on my commute (25 min each way) so it comes along slowly and I'm not far in it, like a 1/4. I think the audio format really works for this book.

message 31: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments Finished my review book, and tomorrow I'll continue reading about Carolyn, Steve, Erwin and the rest of the crazy bunch.

message 32: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments Johanne wrote: "Finished my review book, and tomorrow I'll continue reading about Carolyn, Steve, Erwin and the rest of the crazy bunch."

And crazy they are -I am picking up at Chapter 12 tomorrow, so we should be in sync this week

message 33: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments I'm to chapter 13.
....holy macarony...

message 34: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments got half through 13 last night-off to the doctor where I will have some time (frickin doctors!) to read while I wait, and wait and wait....

message 35: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments Hope all goes well at the doctor.

message 36: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments Finished! Ready to discuss all the crazy when you are :)

message 37: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments I should be done tomorrow, I got a lot of reading done while waiting....and waiting-holy shit, this is so good and so weird at the same time-I have no idea how this going to end, but looking forward to finishing it! I see you are on Holiday! How nice-enjoy~

message 38: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments Thanks :)

message 39: by Joanne (last edited Feb 13, 2020 06:09AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments What? There is no book # 2? I am crushed! I want more.....What a ride. At first I did not think I was going to be able to stay with it-that did not last too long. What a trove of characters, and the world building. Wow, this dude has an imagination. I was not happy to see poor Steve(view spoiler)-and then I was afraid of what was going to (or had become of) Erwin. Well now that I know that turned out ok-I want a sequel~~I have no idea how to review this book without giving anything away. I have to get it up because it is counting towards Poll Tally Challenge-I will be back after you check in-Again, it was so great to have someone else reading this with me that can appreciate the intricacies it takes to write Fantasy. In fact, I would not even call this fantasy-more like Alternative Universe, eh?

message 40: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments It's late here I've been off grid this evening.

Yes it's not fantasy in a normal sense. I don't know what I would call it, it's not really magical realism either.
But either way it really works!
I agree with your review that it's the characters and the world building that carries this story. I also think the pacing is brilliant - something to do with the mystery and heist qualities and how everything is revealed during the story with several surprises and yet it flows along nicely and you're never really confused (which could easily have happened with this type of story).

message 41: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments  (view spoiler)

Overall I really enjoyed this rollercoaster, but I also agree it's not for everyone. But for someone who ever enjoyed weird, alternate universes, old and magnificent powers, this book is for you.

message 42: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments I changed my comment about Steve, above, to be a spoiler-should have thought that others may read this-duh! Anyway, now that I read your comments and thought about it overnight, I see your point. Steve would have been happy taking care of business.

I had noticed Cora's comment above, but wanted to wait to read her review until we were finished. I had no idea where she fell on this one-And was really happy to see that she loved it as much as we did. In her review she brings up the clothes David wore. Something I forgot to mention-her description is priceless. I chuckled every time his (view spoiler) was mentioned. And Carolyn's (view spoiler) well, that just brought back bad '80's memories for me.

message 43: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments I loved the clothes details as well. :) I was a teenager in the late 80's so I have some trauma there...

message 44: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments ...and at the moment I read about Steve I was upset, but then I let it sink in.