Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

A Detective Named Abby: A Slice of Life
This topic is about A Detective Named Abby
How to know if a short story is satisfying?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Josh | 7 comments Just curious if any other short story writers struggle to make their shorts feel satisfying?

I just wrapped up a 1400 word short that introduces a new character, a mystery and some humor but I’m not sure if it’s a solid story or if it comes off as filler.

What are some good qualities to look for in a satisfying short story?

message 2: by M.K. (new)

M.K. Theodoratus (mktheodoratus) | 79 comments I'd think of a short short as only have one arc, or maybe, it would be easier to say one problem to solve.

In longer works, protagonist usually "solves" the initial problem only to find themselves in more hot water. Or, another problem torpedoes them from left field.

Sorry, that sounds so abstract but have no content to work with. That's why critique partners are so important. They actually get to see the work and tell you what works and doesn't.

message 3: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Moorer (sherrithewriter) | 145 comments I once read that a successful short story achieves the goal of evoking a single, emotional response in the reader. You want them to finish it actually feeling a single emotional reaction: joy, grief, fear, accomplishment, defeat, etc.

Of course, that's easier said than done. But the advice to evoke a single emotional reaction has helped me to direct my efforts at writing short stories. Now if only I could do it!