Our Shared Shelf discussion

Announcements > New Poll: Book Topics for 2020

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (last edited Jan 27, 2020 09:11AM) (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Hello everyone!

The OSS Moderator Team heard you loud and clear that you are VERY interested in continuing the mission of this book group as platform to create conversations around intersectionality, feminism, and equal rights.

So we want to know what topics do you want to explore next? Would you like to explore a topic:
- that is near and dear to your heart
- that is completely new to you?
- that is something you heard of but never had the time to look into?

Let us know in our new poll! https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

We will take the top two results to be the focus of our books for Feb. & March as well as April & May. Once we the topics are chosen, we will create another poll to pick the books.

So please vote! We are eager to hear about the topics that interest you. Member Chosen, Member Approved. This is Our Shared Shelf.

with love,

- The OSS Mod Team

Agnes Szalkowska | 386 comments Done

message 3: by Elise (new)

Elise | 22 comments Done! :)

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michmarie92) | 3 comments Done! :)

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Smart | 343 comments Done!

message 6: by Florian (last edited Jan 26, 2020 12:45PM) (new)

Florian (laughingflow) | 221 comments I cannot help to have a big smile ☺ such enthusiasm makes me full of happiness! Though the choice is hard... Everything is amazingly interesting!

I'm going to vote, I might need several minutes though. Definitely it's in good hands 😊

Edit: À voté 😃 I'd love to read and discuss more about eco feminism but disability is often not enough approached so my vote goes to disability.

message 7: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 11 comments Voted! Thank you!!

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2 comments Done! Domestic Violence/psychopath violence is my theme

message 9: by Carolin (new)

Carolin | 4 comments Voted! I‘m so excited to see where this goes :))

message 10: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandysouthgate) Done, thank you!

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane | 33 comments Voted; thank you!

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan | 1 comments Voted. Thank you for keeping this going!

message 13: by Maria (new)

Maria (mars07) | 1 comments Voted, even though I like all these themes :D

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (tsalite) | 3 comments Done! Thank you.

message 15: by Billy (new)

Billy (pokemonjesuzzz111111) | 10 comments Dear The OSS Team!
I feel very, very, very grateful that there is still The OSS Team and that The OSS Team is continuing Emma Watson's mission for this book group and that the new moderator is Pam! Emma and The OSS Team thank you so, so, so much for your outstanding work! Thank you very much for giving us such outstanding choices in this poll! I voted for eco-feminism! I suggest that each of the 10 topics is very worthy to be a topic for the books chosen for this book group!
Love,
Billy
Maine USA

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim (flychickadee) | 5 comments Just a suggestion for future reads… ableism/disability :)

message 17: by seafriend (new)

seafriend | 5 comments Done.

message 18: by Emilija (new)

Emilija | 3 comments Done!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9 comments Done! Thank you Pam!! I was so worried that OSS would die a slow death and was quite heartbroken! Thank you for taking this on and continuing such a wonderful community!
Laura- USA

message 20: by Tessa (new)

Tessa McHenry | 1 comments Done!

message 21: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth Blue | 1 comments Done :)

message 22: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Langford | 39 comments Voted ! So many themes to choose from :D

message 23: by Snorki (last edited Jan 26, 2020 04:46PM) (new)

Snorki | 2 comments So pleased to hear that OSS is continuing and really difficult to choose a topic - I'm not going to be disappointed whatever wins (although I have voted)! Thanks to everyone involved in keeping this amazing group going.

message 24: by Diana (new)

Diana Vera Vásquez | 2 comments Done 🤗

message 25: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Gear | 1 comments Pam wrote: "Hello everyone!

The OSS Team heard you loud and clear that you are VERY interested in continuing the mission of this book group as platform to create conversations around intersectionality, femini..."

Done!

message 26: by Shibani (new)

Shibani (shibanibutail) | 2 comments New

message 27: by Shibani (new)

Shibani (shibanibutail) | 2 comments New

message 28: by Emily (new)

Emily Catherine (emily_catherine) Done :)

message 29: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 1 comments Done! Can’t wait for the results!

message 30: by Toska (new)

Toska | 6 comments thank you and done!

message 31: by Ismail (new)

Ismail ozer (ismailhakkiozer) | 9 comments Done, thank you.

message 32: by Susie (new)

Susie Waller | 2 comments Voted -thank you

message 33: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Cebrian | 4 comments Done, thank you!!

message 34: by Cathrine (new)

Cathrine | 12 comments Some of the choices like "eco feminism" and "disability" show up twice. I voted for disability justice and I hope the people who voted for the other disability choice will be included alongside my choice in the end.

message 35: by Lucky (new)

Lucky | 2 comments Voted - thanks!

message 36: by Erica (new)

Erica Sabbatino | 8 comments Done, it's been tough to choose just one topic, but very pleased to see the development of this group!
Thanks everyone!

message 37: by Tresdivas (new)

Tresdivas | 2 comments Done. Thank you for continuing this group.

Charlotte (charl.reads) | 1 comments One of my goals for this year was to be a more active member in the group so when Emma announced she was stepping back I thought I’d missed my chance. I’m so glad that the good work is continuing and I’m super excited for the next read!

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Perry-Larkin (amandajperry) | 4 comments Done :)

message 40: by Anna (new)

Anna Sri | 1 comments Done

message 41: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1 comments Done!

message 42: by Meg (new)

Meg | 1 comments Done!

Thank you for continuing to reach out to the OSS community. As a new member to the group I was a little disheartened to read it would be stopping just as my journey with the group was beginning.
Hopefully, there’ll be more discussions on hard hitting subjects I can attempt to understand and try to be empathetic/sympathetic towards.

message 43: by Biaz (new)

Biaz Dea | 1 comments Doneee

message 44: by Kenny (last edited Jan 28, 2020 04:56PM) (new)

Kenny West (kewest) | 2 comments I voted a day or so ago but did not leave a comment, I figured I would chime in here too. I actually wanted to pick a few! Although, I am new so I'm mostly curious about all the topics.

message 45: by Peter (new)

Peter | 66 comments Wow! It's so great to see so many people contributing.

O.S.S. rides again!

message 46: by Elphaba (new)

Elphaba | 1 comments Done

message 47: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Brittany wrote: "Hello! My apologies is this is not the correct place to ask this question, but I’m not quite sure where to post it. For February/March, we are reading two books. Are we also reading two books for A..."

Evening Brittany,

Right! With March coming to a close we will start
- The books for April/May. We are reading Overdressed as well as Sex and World Peace.
- And we're also going to have our next poll to pick the July/August book. You'll see a note coming out this upcoming week.

Watch your inbox for further details!

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura Heaney | 13 comments Did Emma recommend both books for April and May or just Sex and World Peace?

message 49: by Florian (last edited Mar 23, 2020 08:51AM) (new)

Florian (laughingflow) | 221 comments Laura wrote: "Did Emma recommend both books for April and May or just Sex and World Peace?"

Hello Laura, Pam suggested the April/May books for the poll. Then members voted and chose Overdressed.

It was mentioned in an annoucement, the message was sent by message in people's message box. Also, Emma annouced she was not managing OSS, not making any book suggestions like she used to. She decided to sometimes share a book in her social media while writing #oursharedshelf. Just like every other member.