Pride and Prejudice ( A to Z Classics ) Pride and Prejudice discussion

What makes you reread a book?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aisha (new) - added it

Aisha Urooj What makes a classic? What makes you reread a book? The book that I have read many times is Pride and Prejudice. I find something new each time and I love the characters.Pride and Prejudice

shi ❦ This is a very interesting question! To me, a book is a classic when its themes are timeless, no matter whether the setting of a story is historical, contemporary or futuristic. For instance, Pride and Prejudice is set in the past, and 1984 in some type of dystopian future, but they're both classics in their own way. They stand the test of time and their appeal is universal.

Anyway, I must confess I have only read Pride and Prejudice once and I really have to read it at least two more times, I'm sure. The two ultimate considerations to make when opting to reread a book are:

1) Did I enjoy the first time read? Sometimes there are just books you really don't even want to open again, so this speaks for itself (but I'd say that your outlook can obviously change when you're older).
2) Did I truly understand the book (on multiple levels) when I read it for the first time? I have read some books in high school for English literature and decided to go back to them because I felt much too young to understand what was going on, or because I just wanted to read them to enjoy new impressions.

Just like watching a movie again, you get to enjoy the same story again, but you get a more in-depth understanding of it, I suppose.

message 3: by Aisha (new) - added it

Aisha Urooj You make some great points Shiwany, thank you for sharing in this discussion. I agree with your points for consideration regarding rereading a book.

It is true, there are some books that appeal more for a reread. Getting older and wanting to revisit a book because you might see it differently or even a book that you didn't finish and giving it another chance perhaps.

Interesting point and comparison to watching a movie again to enjoy the story. I often find myself wanting to read the book again after I see a movie based on it.

shi ❦ Yes! About those movies by the way, I know many people who first like to watch the movie and then read the book based on it, but I definitely do the opposite. Mainly because my imagination can bring me much farther when I do so, which often ends in a slight disappointment in the movie...

message 5: by Aisha (new) - added it

Aisha Urooj Yes this is so true! Movies are often not the same as books, I agree and I also tend to like the books better. I guess it will make the author very happy to know that

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Most of the time I reread the books I love. Sometimes however I go back, reread a book I didn’t like (usually it’s been years since I first read it) and have a different opinion on it. I even end up loving it the second time around sometimes, when previously I didn’t
like it at all. Two examples being The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale and Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan.

message 7: by Aisha (new) - added it

Aisha Urooj Thanks Callie, that is so interesting. I think it is great to go back and rediscover that you like or even love a book that initially didn't make a great impression. I wonder what elements changes on a reread? Would readers find more books better on a second attempt?

C.A. Farran I reread most of my books but definitely for different reasons.
Some are because I connected with the characters and from time to time I miss them and want to experience them again.
Other times the book itself was just such an enjoyable read it's so easy to read again.
Then there are books that I associate with seasons or holidays or milestones so it just feels like a tradition to read them around the same time each year.

Honestly there are very few books on my shelf that I've read only once and plan to keep that way.