Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > duplicates

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sd1234) | 34 comments Within this series list there are several books that are the same book and should be combined, but due to titling or author issues cannot be.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/2811...

message 2: by Liz V. (last edited Jan 24, 2020 09:05AM) (new)

message 3: by Cassandra (last edited Jan 24, 2020 09:15AM) (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4919 comments Sarah wrote: "Within this series list there are several books that are the same book and should be combined, but due to titling or author issues cannot be.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/2811......"

#1 Links to individual books which need to be combined is helpful, as it's a large list. But as a librarian, you do have the ability to make the necessary edits. I'm happy to do so if you're not comfortable doing it and you link the titles.

Also, this doesn't qualify as a series per GR standards, so it will be eligible for deletion. You're welcome to make a Listopia, instead. I'll give you time to do that before I delete it.

message 4: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4919 comments Liz V. wrote: "Under this profile, 2 links with same series name
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show..."

#2 Duplicate series entry deleted.

message 5: by Liz V. (new)

Liz V. (wwwgoodreadscomlizv) | 36377 comments Thank you Cassandra.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sd1234) | 34 comments Cassandra wrote: "Also, this doesn't qualify as a series per GR standards, so it will be eligible for deletion."

Why does it not qualify as a series?

Can only fiction books comprise a series?

https://help.goodreads.com/s/article/...

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23733 comments To be a series books need to share characters or worlds, what you linked is an imprint by a publisher of books that young readers could read, but that have nothing in common apart from that.

Imprints, are generally only Listopia lists.

message 8: by Cassandra (last edited Jan 25, 2020 06:54AM) (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4919 comments Sandra is correct (thanks, Sandra!). Sarah, if you read down to the bottom of the manual page you've linked they've outlined exactly what Sandra is talking about-

"Imprints are not series

Imprints and other unrelated collections of works (usually by multiple authors) are not series. They can be grouped with a Listopia list, or the collection/imprint information can be listed in the edition field, but they should not be grouped into a series, or listed on a book's title line.

As a general rule, a book is only part of a series if that designation would apply to all editions of a work. To be a series, books should have characters and/or universes in common. In the case of imprints and other non-series collections, it is common for some of these books to be published under numerous other imprints as well.

For example, SF Masterworks would not be a series, and neither would Harlequin Blaze."

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sd1234) | 34 comments Ah OK, I thought DK was its own publishing entity, not an imprint. Sorry.

"To share characters or worlds" would imply that only fiction books can be a series. Does that mean nonfiction series such as https://www.goodreads.com/series/2367... should not be series?

message 10: by Cassandra (last edited Jan 27, 2020 07:00AM) (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4919 comments Sarah wrote: "Ah OK, I thought DK was its own publishing entity, not an imprint. Sorry.

"To share characters or worlds" would imply that only fiction books can be a series. Does that mean nonfiction series such..."

DK is an imprint of Penguin, and DK Readers is an imprint comprised of both fiction and non-fiction titles. That doesn't really affect whether or not they're a series, it just doesn't guarantee that they are.

They're just not all related in any way to make them a series (per GR guidelines), except that they're all leveled, early readers for children. Some of the books within the "series" you created could possibly have their own series if they have continuing characters, setting, etc., like Lego and Fingerlings, but if you're not sure it's okay to post in the group and ask!

Non-fiction books can have a series applied, it's just not as common. The one that you linked looks like it's a valid series to me (someone may prove me wrong), but a lot of non-fiction is not.

I hope this makes sense to you!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sd1234) | 34 comments So a series is OK if it has a common theme? Like "brands" or "dog breeds" or "outdoor sports", but "reading with help" is not such a theme?

message 12: by Cassandra (last edited Jan 27, 2020 07:28AM) (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4919 comments Sarah wrote: "So a series is OK if it has a common theme? Like "brands" or "dog breeds" or "outdoor sports", but "reading with help" is not such a theme?"

It can be touchy, so again, asking if you're not sure in any specific instance is the way to go if you're unsure (otherwise you may find your series get deleted without warning).

But unfortunately, reading with help is not enough of a connection to make it a series, no.