The Wheel of Time Read-a-Long discussion

General > Welcome/Introductions Thread

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily, Nae'Blis (new)

Emily (emilyabear) | 13 comments Mod
Welcome to the Wheel of Time Read-a-Long!

If you've just joined, please post a simple introduction here before getting into other discussions. Post as much or as little as you want about yourself. Name/nickname and pronouns are appreciated. Also feel free to say if you've read the series before.

message 2: by Emily, Nae'Blis (new)

Emily (emilyabear) | 13 comments Mod
So I'll start off.

I'm Emily (she/her), most people here will probably know me as moghedien on tumblr.

I read the Wheel of Time for the first time starting in 2013 and ending at the very beginning of 2015, so I'm one of the few people in the fandom that didn't grow up with it.

Wheel of Time hasn't been a priority in my life for a while, but I can honestly say that I think about it and the characters pretty much every day. They are some of the few fictional characters that I just miss if I don't revisit them every so often.

I've been following news and rumors about the upcoming TV show, and that has resparked my absolute love of the series and is largely the motivation for me starting this group. I want to get other people as excited for it as I am, and I honestly just miss the fandom that was on tumblr when I was first reading the books.

Also I'd be Blue Ajah, like my mothers Siuan and Moiraine before me, obviously

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian | 1 comments Mod
Im Brian, he/him.

I started reading the Wheel of Time when I was 10 or 11.

I haven't had nearly as much time to read in the past few years, but I've been making a conscious choice to read more, so doing this is part of that.

message 4: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 1 comments Hi I'm Alyssa! (She/Her)

I'm DeadRobots on Tumblr though I only interacted with the WoT fandom a bit on there.

I was introduced to The Wheel of Time when I was in grade 5 and binge read all the available volumes then religiously read any new volume that came out. I never finished the final half of A Memory of Light because I was too distressed that it would be over. Now it's been so long I don't remember half of what lead up to that finale so I figure a re-read would help me get to a point where I could actually finish it before I end up getting spoiled by the TV show(That I'm super excited for).

message 5: by Katy (new)

Katy | 1 comments I'm Katy (she/her). I've been considering rereading the series (I've read the everyone thing 2x and the earlier books more) but don't have a ton of time so there's at least at 56% chance I'll just lurk around and let everyone else's reading catch me up

message 6: by Theo (new)

Theo Vickery | 2 comments Hi!
I’m Theo (they/them) and I am CrookedThievery on tumblr.
I think I first read the Wheel of Time in around 2012(?) when I was in early high school because I always saw it on the shelves at school and I was so intrigued by there being so many books (and all so large?). Since then I think I’ve probably read the whole series through 4 or 5 times??
I’m feeling keen and apprehensive about the new amazon series and very happy to meet you all!

message 7: by Theo (new)

Theo Vickery | 2 comments Hi!
I’m Theo (they/them) and I am CrookedThievery on tumblr.
I think I first read the Wheel of Time in around 2012(?) when I was in early high school because I always saw it on the shelves at school and I was so intrigued by there being so many books (and all so large?). Since then I think I’ve probably read the whole series through 4 or 5 times??
I’m feeling keen and apprehensive about the new amazon series and very happy to meet you all!

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee | 1 comments Hi! I'm best known as Mabus101, but my real name is Lee (they/them). On Tumblr I'm also unmarked cards.

I started reading Wheel of Time in high school, soon after TEotW came out, and finished it 20 years later; it literally took half my life to read!

I am the author of the fanfics Lost Violent Souls (an AoL prequel) and No Fate But What We Make (post-series).

message 9: by Elise (new)

Elise (ekringo) | 1 comments Hello! I'm Elise (veliseraptor on Tumblr). Wheel of Time was my first major fandom - the first one I wrote fic for, and more notably the first I made online friends in (some of whom later transitioned to offline friends). It's been a major presence in my life from middle school onward. I just did a reread for the 10th anniversary of Jordan's death in 2017, and it revived all my love for the series and the characters.

I may or may not officially join the reread, but I'm definitely going to lurk around here.

message 10: by Sofia (new)

Sofia | 2 comments Hi, I'm Sofia (she/they), idiotarsonist on tumblr, I reblog some WOT stuff there but I'm not super active in general with interacting with fandoms. I started reading Wheel of Time first in 2009 or 2010 (My dad read it to me actually and then I started reading it myself when he was too slow). I've always wanted to talk to other people about WOT since the only person I know who has read it is my brother, but I don't interact with people on the internet very much. I'm not sure how active I'll be here because this is a pretty big step for me, but I actually have never reread the entire series (usually I would get to the third book or so and then give up) so I wanted some inspiration to do so. Not sure if I will read along with all the books because I don't have many of them with me but I will definitely be around and might join in discussions. I'm excited to be here!

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily G (chillkessel) | 1 comments Hi I’m Emily (she/her), jynemso on tumblr. I read the first three wheel of time books a few years ago and fell of the wagon - I’m looking forward to the show and using this group as motivation to read through the rest of the series!

message 12: by Liine (new)

Liine | 1 comments Hi, I'm Liine (she/her).
I read the series first in high school before the two last books had been published. So the last two I have not read.
I actually started the reread few months ago, and I'm starting book 10 now. I'll try to keep my momentum but it would be great to follow the discussion here and lurk a little.
Good luck to everyone!

message 13: by Ari (new)

Ari | 1 comments Hi! You can call me Ari (she/her), and well, never done this before :-) I saw Elise's repost on Tumblr and I've been meaning to read WoT since forever, so this group and the news of the TV show have pushed the WoT reading really high on the list - so I thought, why not? I'm usually more of a lurker, but I may pitch in for characters or parts of the books I'm really passionate about. Nice to meet you all!

message 14: by Brygmi (new)

Brygmi Jane | 2 comments Hi! My name is Jana (she/her), I'm from the Czech Republic and my tumblr username is scarytheory. I'm a newbie, I actually heard about Wheel of Time just some months ago because I'm a big Survivor fan and the showrunner is a previous contestant. :D I'm really excited to read WoT for the first time because I love fantasy and I heard so many great things about the books.

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan Warburton (nogling) | 1 comments Hullo there! I'm Megan (she/her, they/them), nogling on Tumblr and pretty much everywhere else on the internet.

I first started reading Wheel of Time shortly before Lord of Chaos was published. While I'm not particularly active in the Tumblr WoT fandom, once upon a time, there was a terrible first person shooter game, and the publisher of said terrible first person shooter game added a Book Forum to the game discussion boards, which meant my fandom interactions moved from Usenet to an actual-facts internet forum, where I lived quite happily for....far too long, really. Some of my first Internet Friends came from that forum.

I will attempt to sync up my freakish reading speed with the rest of the group, but even if I fail, I have a couple of decades of practice in keeping spoilers to myself for new readers, and my last re-read was in the early part of 2019, so it's fairly fresh in my head. I'm glad to meet all of you!

message 16: by Kamaka (new)

Kamaka | 1 comments Hello, I'd rather go by last name than first, so call me Kamaka. She/her. I'm on Tumblr as InterstateJesus but mostly lurk and never post. Never read WoT but I've been meaning to and this seemed a good opportunity since I like discussions. Thanks for having me.

message 17: by Andy (new)

Andy Cohn | 1 comments Hi! I'm Andy, they/them, and I'm MirandaTam on tumblr. I read through the whole series a few years ago, and keep meaning to go through it but haven't had the time or the motivation to actually commit. Hopefully with this group I can actually keep it up!

message 18: by Sara J. (new)

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 1 comments Hi all! Sara here! I am keph11 on tumblr and I am super excited for the show!! Fave characters are Mat and Moiraine! First started reading in 1995 and binged all books that were available that time (up to LoC) and then as everyone knows the slow books were after that... dropped it around Path of Daggers (I think I reread the first few books many times but EotW most of all)... but picked it up again for a reread way after the publication of AMoL! I was ded inside after finishing the last page for a long time after that and can still remember how it feels. That means I have only finished the whole series once. Don’t think I can follow the read but I will be checking out discussions!

message 19: by Clara (new)

Clara | 1 comments Hey I'm Clara (she/her)! cco3 on tumblr but I kinda lurk. Started WoT when I was 12 and its one of my all time favorites (not that its perfect, but that might be why I love it). I've done a couple rereads but mostly I go back and randomly reread my favorite parts. Super excited!
Also I'm blue/green ajah and can't wait until WoT is popular enough that everyone is sorting themselves haha.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan Bogush | 2 comments Hi. My name is Susan
I read the Wheel of Time and around book 3 I thought how much my husband would love this series too so I got the entire series on Audiible so we could do it together. I was so happy to see a current book group about the series. Anyway I am 3 weeks away from 50 and I am from Philadelphia PA. Thanks for letting me join

message 21: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 1 comments Hi! I'm Kat (She/Her)

I started reading the Wheel of Time back in 2013, not too long after the last book of the series was released. An employee at my local bookstore recommended it to me when I asked for a good fantasy series to start, and after reading the first couple of pages of "The Eye of the World" I was hooked. Super excited for the show and I've been looking forward to doing a re-read, looking forward to doing it with a group!

message 22: by Meg (new)

Meg (spiraling) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Meg, she/her.

I first read Wheel of Time around '96-'97 as a high school student, and my friends group fell head over heels into it. We were still waiting for Path of Daggers to be published at the time, and I started going to the library to look up fanart and theories (Usenet WoT FAQs gathered on LinuxMafia.com since I didn't know what Usetnet was at the time) on this newfangled Internet thingamajigger. For a while I was active on the long defunct Wotmania fansite, or at least its chatroom. The series completed 14 years later and at the time I got to say I had waited literally half my life for it.

...maybe I should update my GoodReads icon to be of Nynaeve like it is on Discord.

message 23: by Benedetta (new)

Benedetta Hi everyone, I'm Bene (she/her).
I haven't read the Wheel of Time yet, but I'm a huge fantasy fan and this series has been on my TBR list forever, so the start of 2020 and finding this group seemed the perfect time to give it a go.
I'll do my best to follow the read-along, time permitting, but I'll probably mostly lurk :)
Lovely to meet you all and looking forward to starting to read :)

message 24: by Alastair (new)

Alastair (alaroldai) | 1 comments Hi everyone, I'm Alastair (he/him) - read WoT for the first time in high school around 2002, and have re-read the series occasionally since them. Mostly on audiobooks these days.
Did a lot of discussing the series the first time I read it through, but haven't participated in much of fandom et al in the last decade.
Looking forward to seeing how the tv series diverges from the books!

I'm on Tumblr as alaroldai@ but I mostly just lurk.

message 25: by Zachariah (new)

Zachariah Hughes | 1 comments Hi I am Zach. I am going to start off by saying I have not been apart of a reading group since middle school. I started reading this intoxicating series in the middle of last month and was looking for people I could discuss this series with. (None of my friends Read)
Currently I am on book four(Shadow Rising) and cannot stop reading. I look forward to hearing everyone's input, and will not TROLL/SPOIL anything. This should be a great refresher.

Also if anyone has some other good sc-fi or comedy type books let me know. I am a couple books short for my reading rotation.

message 26: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Eve | 1 comments Hi, I'm Maggie (Ariskari on tumblr and twitter). Pronouns she/her. First read the series back when I was in secondary school in the broad stretch of time before Crossroads of Twilight was published. I've never been that involved in fandom because I've always been super shy, even online. I've tried many times to introduce my friends to the series but they were sadly never interested.

Not sure I'll be actively reading along because I've got a very wriggly baby that makes reading non kindle books difficult, but I've read at least the early books enough that I remember most of the stuff I'd like to talk about.

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments Hi I’m Steph, she/her, geekspren on Tumblr.

I admit, I was never much into WoT, I was first aware of it in middle school, 2008 or so, and then later high school because I saw a few people reading it, but I never got around to it. I was too deep in the ASOIAF and Cosmere rabbit holes.

Emily’s text posts on tumblr and how much she loves the series always make me laugh, and endeared me to trying it out. The only reason know anything about the series or characters names is because of Emily’s humor.

I did attempt to read Eye of the World on my own a year or so back, but ended up falling off it due to a combination of life and being easily distracted. I’m down to give it another shot, but I’m also in my second to last college semester so 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼 I’ll try my best to stay with it.

message 28: by Sasha (new)

Sasha Katz | 1 comments Hi I’m Sasha (she/they) and started reading these books about five years ago. I’ve read each book at least two times sense them but have never been over actively involved in the fandom. I’m on tumblr @ seirnarei but I mostly just lurk.

message 29: by Mellifer (new)

Mellifer Hi there! I'm Mell (she/her). I'm on tumblr as maiden-of-the-spear but I'm not super active in the fandom (I haven't finished the series so I'm trying to avoid spoilers lol).

I've attempted to finish the series several times and always get lost somewhere in books 6-9 (ADHD + college = very little spare attention span for leisure reading, unfortunately). But I really want to read it ahead of the TV show, so I'm hoping this group will help with that!

message 30: by Souvraya (new)

Souvraya | 1 comments Hi, I'm Alina (they/them), Souvraya on tumblr. Mainly a lurker.

I picked up the first book in '98, when I was 12, and have reread the books many times, especially the first 3. I'm not sure I will read along, but I will be lurking.

message 31: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1 comments Hiya, I'm Maggie, they-them pronouns, oppan-gandalf-style on Tumblr.
I remember I started reading the series in early middle school (or rather, my dad read them aloud to me), around when Towers of Midnight was published. I never really got past around the middle of the series, but now I am motivated to finally finish it! I sort of know the general outcome of the series, but mostly I will be experiencing everything for the first time. I can't guarantee I'll be much more than a lurker in this group, my main goal in being here is to commit to finishing my own reading.

message 32: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Bellew | 3 comments Greeting wetlanders May you all find water and shade!
I am new to this group, my handle is @Janduin_979_NE on Twitter. I’m excited to be a part of this reading group, thank you Emily for putting this together!

message 33: by Pierre (new)

Pierre (pierrotdameron) | 1 comments Hello, i'm Pierre (French, 25). @pierrotdameron on Tumblr
I started reading WoT around 2014, struggled with the first two books but when i started the 3rd last year it won me over. I'm currently reading book 5.
Can't wait for the TV show!

message 34: by Ren (new)

Ren (kalmoash) | 1 comments Hey, I'm Sofia (she/her), @ on tumblr is bookishsofia and I'll post some of my progress with my reading there. This is my first time reading The Wheel of Time. I've been interested in reading it since last year, but I always felt very intimidated by it. My objective for entering this group is to lose some of that intimidation and finally dive in into this amazing universe that Robert Jordan gifted us with. 💛

message 35: by Mo (new)

Mo (weneed_mobrown) | 1 comments Hello everyone!

I just finished the series for the first time and just love discussing the book so I'm excited to read more thoughts on the series from you all!

message 36: by Francine (new)

Francine (francinemh) | 1 comments Hi all. I’m Francine (she/her).

I’m reading WoT for the first time and on book 6. I might be reading along ahead for a bit because I’m really into it now, but I imagine at some point I’ll want to take a break. Enjoying the series and want to talk to people about it but no one I know in person has read these!

I was a huge fantasy nerd as a kid/teen and basically read nothing else, but I broadened my horizons later when I realized that books could be good in other genres 😝. Over the past 10
Years I’ve really only read a few fantasy books (ASOIAF, kingkiller, a few standalones) so I’m really just getting back into the genre now and thought I’d start ambitiously with this series!

message 37: by Cordelianne (new)

Cordelianne | 1 comments Hi guys!

I am Lianne and I am currently reading the series, but kind of stopped after book 3 for a bit, because the books are sometimes a bit slow, but I really want to read further. So I thought joining this group and reading one book per month would be perfect :) I think I will wait until May than to join in, but I will check the discussion of the first three books!