What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Unsheltered
This topic is about Unsheltered
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Parallel narrative set both in 1870s and modern day. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A (new)

A Gallagher | 2 comments Book is a parallel narrative, set in 2 families in the same town but at different times in history. One part set around 1850s, 1870s . It includes a male academic interested in evolution, but whose family life is falling apart with a house collapsing and a family only interested in their standing in society. He befriends an unusual woman interested in natural sciences who is doing some research for friends of Darwin. This part examines the roles of women, and the attitude of the day to the then shocking theories of evolution.
The modern day family is also about an academic, but the family is struggling because the house is falling down, he’s losing tenure, and income is heavily reduced. They go from a wealthy middle class existence to poverty, and their rather alternative daughter turns out to be a big help in their new world without money.

message 2: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1151 comments Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver came up searching online (sorry, can't add the link with Kindle). From reviews I read online it sounds like your book!

message 3: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Unsheltered for the link.

message 4: by A (new)

A Gallagher | 2 comments Dear Mai and Rosa,
Thank you so much! This is certainly the book, and I spent ages online last night trying to figure it out. I obviously need more advice on using Google.
I’m so grateful to you both.
Andi

message 5: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments All credit to Mai!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Unsheltered (other topics)