Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Middlesex
This topic is about Middlesex
Buddy Reads > Middlesex

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Philina | 1562 comments Irphen and I are going to read Middlesex together in February. Everybody's welcome to join in ;-) !

Rosemarie | 1549 comments I started reading the book this week and will definitely join you. I am reading a chapter a day, since I read more than one book at a time, and am really enjoying it.

Philina | 1562 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I started reading the book this week and will definitely join you. I am reading a chapter a day, since I read more than one book at a time, and am really enjoying it."

Wonderful! I have to finish Mary Barton and My Cousin Rachel before getting to Middlesex.

Irphen | 374 comments I'm really looking forward to start it and do this buddy read!! :-)

message 5: by Irphen (last edited Jan 24, 2020 11:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Irphen | 374 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I started reading the book this week and will definitely join you. I am reading a chapter a day, since I read more than one book at a time, and am really enjoying it."

Nice! I haven't started Middlesex, I will be starting it somewhere begin february just like Philena, and I wont be reading tons of chapters a day either ( for the same reason as you by the way! XD )

Philina | 1562 comments I think I will finish My Cousin Rachel this weekend, so I could start with Middlesex.

Do you want me to wait and we start together? Or should I go for it since Rosemarie has also already started? In the latter case we could do chapter spoiler tags like in our Kent Haruf buddy reads.

Irphen | 374 comments Philina wrote: "I think I will finish My Cousin Rachel this weekend, so I could start with Middlesex.

Do you want me to wait and we start together? Or should I go for it since Rosemarie has also already started?..."

Go for it :-) I will be finishing Farewell Waltz some time soon so it's possible I will be starting Middlesex this weekend as well. Spoiler tags could be a good idea however, cause I'm not sure I will be reading as quickly as you through the chapters ;-)

message 8: by Patty (new) - added it

Patty | 76 comments Middlesex was my first audiobook. The narrator was awesome.

Philina | 1562 comments Patty wrote: "Middlesex was my first audiobook. The narrator was awesome."

I've got Nathan Osgood. Was he your narrator, too?

Philina | 1562 comments I've started today, am in Chapter 3 by now and absolutely love it.

Spoilers up to Chapter 3:
(view spoiler)

message 11: by Patty (new) - added it

Patty | 76 comments The audiobook I listened to was years ago. I think it was Kristoffer Tabori. He brought the book to life.

Irphen | 374 comments Philina wrote: "I've started today, am in Chapter 3 by now and absolutely love it.

Spoilers up to Chapter 3:
[spoilers removed]"

Cool!^^ I'm looking forward to start reading as well! I think it will be tomorrow when I finish Picnic at Hanging Rock, or maybe to night if I can't wait any longer! XD

Rosemarie | 1549 comments I am making good progress and really enjoying the book. I didn't know it was partly a historical novel, which makes it even better.

Philina | 1562 comments I‘ve read about 1/3 now, I just couldn’t keep my hands off 😅.
I REALLY enjoy this book.

I‘m in Chapter 10 now, but the spoilery bits to come concern Chapter 8 or 9 (with an audiobook I‘m not so sure):
(view spoiler)

Philina | 1562 comments Oh, and I love the way how he describes the living and working conditions of people.

Philina | 1562 comments Rosemarie wrote: „I didn't know it was partly a historical novel, which makes it even better."

Yes, it does feel a bit like a historical novel (I love them, too), but I‘d also say „Multigenerational Family Saga“.

Rosemarie | 1549 comments That describes it exactly.

Irphen | 374 comments Philina wrote: "How did you feel about Desdemona and Lefty? I felt totally confused. Part of me was screaming "NOOOO, you are brother and sister!!!" and another part of me was timidly feeling with the protagonists of that narrative "Yes, be with the one you love!"

I'm finally at chapter 3 as well! Haven't a lot of time to read lately with my studies so I'm not moving very fast, but I'm enjoying nontheless!
And I understand you felt confused about Desdemona ( love her name by the way! ) and Lefty, I felt just the same. I confess I really don't no what to think about it until now and I doubt this will change. On the one hand I can understand somewhere that they feel that way because the only have the other one with whom the have a strong bond, but at the other hand it quite disturing for they are brother and sister indeed.

Philina | 1562 comments I guess Chapter 21:
(view spoiler)

Philina | 1562 comments I'm about 2/3 done (with audiobooks I'm a million times faster than with paper books) and am totally loving it! I think I will add this one to my "favorites" shelf.

How are you proceeding, Rosemarie?

Rosemarie | 1549 comments I finished it a couple of days ago and loved it. I like the way everything is connected and comes together at the end. There are also some really funny sections.

Irphen | 374 comments Philina wrote: "I'm about 2/3 done (with audiobooks I'm a million times faster than with paper books) and am totally loving it! I think I will add this one to my "favorites" shelf.

How are you proceeding, Rosema..."

You are going very fast through it indeed! although it's true I'm faster as well with audiobooks, thoughI prefer paper books because I just love to touch books and see myshelves filled! ;-)
As for Middlesex I finished the first part and I hope to have a bit more reading time this weekend^^

Rosemarie | 1549 comments We find out why Cal is the way he is, and why.

Irphen | 374 comments Philina wrote: "I‘ve read about 1/3 now, I just couldn’t keep my hands off 😅.
I REALLY enjoy this book.

I‘m in Chapter 10 now, but the spoilery bits to come concern Chapter 8 or 9 (with an audiobook I‘m not so ..."

I'm at chapter 10, I guess by now you must have finished the whole book! ;-)
Just as I found it very interesting to read about this whole sect thing. It shows well how easy it is to make people who are desperate believe nearly anything. As for Tess's dad... Well that surely was a twist I wasn't expecting! And I have to agree with you on the fact that's a bit too much of a coincidence. I would have sticked with the mystery around him rather.

Philina | 1562 comments Yes, I have finished the book and I loved it!

Irphen | 374 comments So far I enjoy it very much as well, I love the humorous tone and the vivid descriptions^^

message 27: by Brian (last edited Feb 15, 2020 05:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brian Reynolds | 122 comments I had trepidation about reading this book for several years before finally reading it about twelve years ago. The historical family saga aspect surprised and so pleased me that I ended up immensely enjoying the entire reading experience. Ever since, I have had it ranked in my top 10 all-time books, the only entry from the 21st century.

Rosemarie | 1549 comments This was a wonderful read, a real family saga as well.

Philina | 1562 comments That’s wonderful, Brian! I also put it on my „favorites“ shelf.

Irphen | 374 comments Philina wrote: "I guess Chapter 21:
[spoilers removed]"

I just finished chapter 21 and I'm loving this third part of the book which deals way much with Call himself when he still was Calliope!
And from what I understood I think he has female genitalia with male genitalia inside. But I confess I'm rather curious also about the biological aspects as well. ;-)

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Picnic at Hanging Rock (other topics)