Reading German Books in 2020 discussion

Level 1: Neuendorf-Sachsenbande > Julissa's Challenge

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julissa (new)

Julissa | 16 comments Here's my TBR. I'm treating this as a starting point.

The Artificial Silk Girl by Irmgard Keun

The Seventh Cross by Anna Seghers

All Quiet in the Western Front by Erich Remarque (shamefully, I've never read this one before)

The Trial by Franz Kafka

message 2: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler | 104 comments Those are fantastic choices, Julissa, happy reading!

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) | 10 comments all quiet on the western front is one of my favourite books. Hope you enjoy it

message 4: by Julissa (new)

Julissa | 16 comments toria (vikz writes) wrote: "all quiet on the western front is one of my favourite books. Hope you enjoy it"

I hope so too. I've been meaning to read it for a long time.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Griffin | 8 comments All Quiet On The Western Front is German??! How did I live my whole life not knowing this?! Ok, I’m adding it to my reading list for this challenge!

message 6: by Julissa (new)

Julissa | 16 comments Yes, it is German. I just started the book today and I am enjoying it so far.

message 7: by Julissa (new)

Julissa | 16 comments I finished a couple of days ago All Quiet on the Western Front and loved it. I'm starting The Artificial Silk Girl now. I hope I love it just as much.

message 8: by Julissa (new)

Julissa | 16 comments I've decided to add one more to my tbr: The Way Back by Erich Remarque. Apparently it's some sort of follow up to All Quiet on the Western Front.

message 9: by Julissa (new)

Julissa | 16 comments I'm starting to read The Trial by Franz Kafka. I finished the The Artificial Silk Girl a while ago and enjoyed it.

message 10: by Julissa (new)

Julissa | 16 comments I have finished Kafka's The Trial. That little book packs quite a punch. Hopefully I'll start the Seventh Cross or The Way Back soon.

message 11: by Julissa (new)

Julissa | 16 comments Just started The Way Back by Erich Remarque. It's definitely a follow up to All Quiet on the Western Front. Maybe I'll get this and the Seventh Cross finished while I'm socially distancing.

message 12: by Julissa (new)

Julissa | 16 comments Finished The Way Back. Such a heartbreaking book and still relevant.

message 13: by Julissa (new)

Julissa | 16 comments Jenni wrote: "I’m going to get to The Way Back this year, also. I see you really liked The Trial. I think I will add this to my list since I haven’t read anything by Kafka, and I really want to."
I did enjoy The Trial. It's a good, challenging read. Also, read some of Kafka's short fiction. Sometimes that is better starting point for reading Kafka. I also really recommend The Way Back. It's such a sad book, but really focused on the human trauma after the war and how these men coped (or did not cope). Both are great reads.

message 14: by H (last edited Mar 24, 2020 05:11AM) (new)

H | 13 comments Finished a collection Great German Short Stories edited and introduction by Stephen Spender copyrighted 1960.
My copy was found in a box of books at a flea market, brought home and shelved. Only now read it because of this challenge and what a enjoyable, belated find. None are light stories as none of Kafka’s stories are light. But each has a resonating quality because I think they are correctly described by Spender in his intro to living (1960) authors: a “metaphysical fable which is characteristic of the German story throughout its history.” Stories begin with authors born 1814 through 1921.
p.s. whoops, think I posted this in wrong place, apologies to Julissa

message 15: by Julissa (new)

Julissa | 16 comments H wrote: "Finished a collection Great German Short Stories edited and introduction by Stephen Spender copyrighted 1960.
My copy was found in a box of books at a flea market, brought home and shelved. Only n..."

No worries. Actually glad you did, because that collection of short stories sounds interesting.

message 16: by Julissa (new)

Julissa | 16 comments After many diversions, I have at last started Anna Seghers' The Seventh Cross.

message 17: by Julissa (last edited Jun 16, 2020 02:02PM) (new)

Julissa | 16 comments I could kick myself for not having read The Seventh Cross sooner. This novel is beautifully written and the most powerful moments are the interactions between characters: the things not said, what is between the lines. It paints a stark portrait of a society at the time.

Since this challenge started - and because I've seen what others are reading- I have picked up more German books and hope to get to them soon. This was such a wonderful idea.