Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge discussion

2020 Level 1 (Snoop) > "Becky the Snoop" - 2020 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (last edited Jan 21, 2020 09:54AM) (new)

Becky Avella (beckyavella) | 11 comments As a kid, I adored reading the Trixie Belden, Elizabeth Gail, and Nancy Drew series. I'm excited to participate in this challenge and reconnect with that childlike love of solving a mystery. Since this is my first time doing this challenge, I think I'll stick with option A and then maybe try the sub-genre option next year. Happy Reading everyone! :)

message 2: by Becky (new)

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky Avella (beckyavella) | 11 comments Book Two:
Still Life

Our book club read this one this month. It was a little dark, so I hope it still qualifies as a cozy mystery. I think it's probably right on the edge but would still be classified as one.

Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1) by Louise Penny

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 106 comments Becky wrote: "As a kid, I adored reading the Trixie Belden, Elizabeth Gail, and Nancy Drew series. I'm excited to participate in this challenge and reconnect with that childlike love of solving a mystery. Since ..."

Have fun!!!

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky Avella (beckyavella) | 11 comments Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) wrote: "Have fun!!!"

Thank you, Hilary. Happy reading to you, too! :)

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky Avella (beckyavella) | 11 comments Book Three:

Nemesis

Nemesis (Miss Marple, #12) by Agatha Christie

I always feel so proud when I solve it before the end. I'm going to be sad when I reach the end of Miss Marple stories.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashielizz) | 34 comments Welcome Becky! Moving right along with this challenge I see. Happy reading!

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky Avella (beckyavella) | 11 comments Book Four:

The Christie Curse

The Christie Curse (Book Collector Mystery #1) by Victoria Abbott

I know the focus was on Agatha Christie, but it read more like a grown-up Nancy Drew to me. It was a little flawed but fun. I especially enjoyed her criminal uncles and the way they loved and supported her in their unique way. I think I'll keep going with this series for a little bit.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky Avella (beckyavella) | 11 comments Ashley wrote: "Welcome Becky! Moving right along with this challenge I see. Happy reading!"

Thank you, Ashley! I'm having a lot of fun with this challenge. I hope you are, too. :)

message 10: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 313 comments Becky wrote: "Book Four:

The Christie Curse

The Christie Curse (Book Collector Mystery #1) by Victoria Abbott

I know the focus was on Agatha Christie, but it read more like a grown-up Nancy Drew to me. It was a little..."

I read this entire series and thought it was fun. Glad you like it. Happy Reading!

message 11: by Mary Eve (last edited Feb 20, 2020 08:57PM) (new)

Mary Eve (maryevelynls) | 35 comments I think I have this one Her Royal Spyness on my Kindle. Was it good?

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky Avella (beckyavella) | 11 comments Mary wrote: "I think I have this one Her Royal Spyness on my Kindle. Was it good?"

Hi Mary,

I thought Her Royal Spyness was a fun read, but not a great mystery. I enjoyed the setting and the time period and the concept of broke aristocrats trying to maintain appearances, but I kept wondering when it would become a mystery novel (or a spy novel?), and that doesn't happen until the second half of the story (And despite the title, there really isn't any espionage at all like I expected). I think I'll keep going in the series, though. I have a friend who really enjoyed it and I am curious what will happen to the main character. If you read HRS, I'd love to hear your opinion on it. :)

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky Avella (beckyavella) | 11 comments Katherine wrote: "I read this entire series and thought it was fun. Glad you like it. Happy Reading

I'm glad to hear that! I just finished the second one, and you're right they are fun.

message 14: by Becky (new)

message 15: by Becky (last edited Mar 02, 2020 11:25AM) (new)

Becky Avella (beckyavella) | 11 comments Book Six:

A Royal Pain
A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) by Rhys Bowen

This is shaping up to be a fun (and witty) series after all. I'm pretty hooked. I'm off to keep reading book three. :)

message 16: by Mary Eve (new)

Mary Eve (maryevelynls) | 35 comments I'm going to check it out. Thanks for the info. It must be good if you're headed into Book Three.

message 17: by Susie (new)

Susie | 243 comments Mary wrote: "I'm going to check it out. Thanks for the info. It must be good if you're headed into Book Three."

I'm reading this now and agree...they are fun reads!