Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Policy for authors' books published under both full first name and initials

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nay (last edited Jan 21, 2020 09:02AM) (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 159 comments I'm a GR librarian and I'm wondering if someone could give me confirmation about how to handle something. I've searched the manual and many, many threads in this group and I'm still not clear as I've seen it handled different ways.

As an example, if an author named John Smith normally publishes under John Smith but later releases a duet under J. Smith, and although the covers have J. Smith, both books list the author as John Smith, should I:

1) Add J. Smith as the primary author and John Smith as the secondary author so that the duet will be primarily listed under the name on the cover, J. Smith, or
2) Leave the books under John Smith (since the name J. Smith is included within the name John Smith).

I have another name question, but I'll include that in a new question. Thank you!

message 2: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 159 comments I have another name question--If a translator who is not listed on a cover asks to be listed on the GR book record by their initials instead of the full name shown on the inside of the book, is that allowed?

For example, if their name is shown inside the book as John Steven Smith, is it okay to list their name in the author (translator) field as J.S. Smith instead? This is their first book on GR, so they only have the one book that's presently on the John Steven Smith unclaimed author profile.

Thanks!

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments #1 Renee ❤️My heroes are ordinary wrote: "should I:

1) Add J. Smith as the primary author and John Smith as the secondary author so that the duet will be primarily listed under the name on the cover, J. Smith, or
2) Leave the books under John Smith (since the name J. Smith is included within the name John Smith)."

2) is correct (unless the author uses the initial to distinguish between different genres).

#2 Renee ❤️My heroes are ordinary wrote: "If a translator who is not listed on a cover asks to be listed on the GR book record by their initials instead of the full name shown on the inside of the book, is that allowed"

No. Users searching for the translator's full name should be able to find it, and they won't if the translator is only known by their initials on GR.

If the translator already has a GR Author profile with their initials, they can either request to have it changed to the full name, or have their claimed author name added as a secondary author to the book, next to their full name.

message 4: by Nay (last edited Jan 21, 2020 10:22AM) (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 159 comments lethe wrote: "#1 Renee ❤️My heroes are ordinary wrote: "should I:

1) Add J. Smith as the primary author and John Smith as the secondary author so that the duet will be primarily listed under the name on the cov..."

Thanks, lethe

Regarding my first question, I'll contact the author about the use of her initials vs. her full name on the duet.

Regarding the translator--I was wrong. She already had one book on a claimed profile under the full name. She's actually wanting to change her claimed profile from her full name to her initialed name. If she contacts support, can that be done if the two books that are on GR both have her listed under her full name? I think I know the answer, but I want to make sure.

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Renee ❤️My heroes are ordinary wrote: "She's actually wanting to change her claimed profile from her full name to her initialed name. If she contacts support, can that be done if the two books that are on GR both have her listed under her full name?"

She can, but both books should keep the full name listed as well. New books will only get the initialed name.

message 6: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 159 comments lethe wrote: "Renee ❤️My heroes are ordinary wrote: "She's actually wanting to change her claimed profile from her full name to her initialed name. If she contacts support, can that be done if the two books that..."

Okay, thanks!