Play Book Tag discussion

Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1)
This topic is about Whiskey Sour
January 2020: Thriller > Whiskey Sour by J.A. Konrath - 4* (Poll Ballet Tally)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Doughgirl5562 | 704 comments I picked this book up a few years ago, thinking it was a cozy mystery because of the cute title and cover picture. But it is NOT a cozy mystery - not even close. Surprisingly, a number of people have tagged it a cozy - but they really need to read the definition of a cozy mystery. Or maybe they didn't read it before tagging it. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Having said that, once I got over the "not a cozy mystery" thing, I really liked this book. Jacqueline (aka Jack) Daniels is a hard boiled Chicago police detective. She is devoted to her job and has a lousy (but entertaining to read about) social life. She flings wise cracks and sarcasm around about as well as Lenny Brisco did in Law & Order. In this story, she goes to extremes to catch The Gingerbread Man, a serial killer who is one sick puppy. It was a fast and unputdownable read.

This book is tagged FBI because there are a couple of really inept FBI agents in it. They are portrayed as very dim bulbs. Pretty sure they are there for comic relief, because their profile of the Gingerbread Man is laughable. I laughed so hard at the following exchange when the agents were giving Jack their profile details:

" He may be disfigured or disabled. He might have severe acne scars - or scoliosis. …. That's a curvature of the spine." - Agent Dailey.

"Is that a hunch?" - Jack asked.

"Just an educated guess."

Jack thought about explaining the joke to them, but it would be wasted.

message 2: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments Great review. This sounds like a fun read.