Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Once Upon a River: 1 Star

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 20, 2020 03:21PM) (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield

Once Upon a River, Dianne Setterfield

★ (being generous)

Although the author might believe this piece of work to be clever & mysterious; I found it to be overly long, winding, & boring with unremarkable, unlikable, dull characters, many with non-redeeming qualities.

A half-drowned man, with his face bashed in and a seemingly dead little girl are brought back to life in a sleepy pub known for its storytelling.... The local healer is brought in and the little girls miraculously comes back to life.

Then the story revisits the past & the lives of several local people, with many a chapter ending with: "Something is going to happen"

Authors who write in a intentional "clever" but vague manner annoy the hell out of me.... This book qualifies.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments Is it bad that I'm happy to see a 1 star review of this- I also DID NOT LIKE THIS at all. I gave it what I felt was a generous 2 stars, because I have to admit the prose was wonderful at times.

We are the minority, Kimberly- but you are not alone!

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Joi wrote: "Is it bad that I'm happy to see a 1 star review of this- I also DID NOT LIKE THIS at all. I gave it what I felt was a generous 2 stars, because I have to admit the prose was wonderful at times.

W..."

Oh, I am usually the minority voice in PBT...... it took me quite awhile to get used to being that, but I'm Ok with it now...

message 4: by DianeMP (new)

DianeMP | 403 comments Wow! I thought I was the only one who didn't like this book. I loved her first book, The Thirteenth Tale, but hated this one.

message 5: by Joanne (last edited Jan 22, 2020 08:19AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7471 comments DianeMP wrote: "Wow! I thought I was the only one who didn't like this book. I loved her first book, The Thirteenth Tale, but hated this one."

And I liked this one could not finish 13th Tale.....

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments This is why it's still on my TBR instead of my Read list! I'm scared!

message 7: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2813 comments And I loved both of them. ;)

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8519 comments Add me to the really greatly enjoyed list. There was something about it that I thought was beautiful. And you know I don’t usually like hazy. But this one gave me a feeling.