2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2020 > Les Misérables: General Discussion *Spoiler*: General Discussion *Spoiler*

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Feb 20, 2020 05:03AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4526 comments Discussion thread for Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

Please mark spoilers by typing [spoiler] before the spoiler and [/spoiler] after it and replacing the []s with < and >

message 2: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 62 comments You have to give it to Hugo, I've never read and probably will never read again such an enthusiastic ode to sewer tunnels. That was fascinating.

message 3: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2613 comments Gabi wrote: "You have to give it to Hugo, I've never read and probably will never read again such an enthusiastic ode to sewer tunnels. That was fascinating."

Paris' sewer system is the unsung hero of the last act!

I really liked this book and most of it was unsurprising if you're at all familiar with the story from the musical or movie. However, I found Jean Valjean to be much more complex here.
Also (spoiler about the end of the book) (view spoiler)

message 4: by penwing (new)

penwing | 5 comments [spoiler]To be fair to Marius, Valjean is, kinda, asking him to do it. He misleads him by only giving half the truth.

But yeah, definitely a jerk.[/spoiler]

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) | 1 comments This was a commitment, but the story was good. I disliked the political parts, but I worked my way through it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Les Misérables (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Victor Hugo (other topics)