Audiobooks discussion

Ask Audible > Missing or repeated chapters?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (new)

Ellen B | 21 comments Hi. Over the past month, I've encountered two books on Audible with chapter problems. The first book, No Man of Woman Born by Ana Mardoll, had a chapter that was repeated. Now I'm reading Split Tooth by Tanya Tagaq and, comparing the audio with a text version, I'm finding a huge missing chunk that doesn't seem to have been included in the audio -- and the book is listed as unabridged. Has anyone else encountered similar issues with these or other books? Thanks!

message 2: by Rabid Reader (new)

Rabid Reader (rabidreaderreviews) | 59 comments I have come across a few repeated sentences or paragraphs in the last couple of newly released audio books but not any missing chunks

message 3: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1063 comments No, I've never had a problem, although I guess I wouldn't know if some text was missing, as I rarely look at the printed version. You should definitely report and return the books, even if you finished them. Otherwise, everyone else will keep getting defective ones.

message 4: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 398 comments Over the years I've found a few books with problems like that, but not many. Just tell customer service, and they'll get it straightened out -- or give you a credit if they can't.

message 5: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1063 comments Well, only a few days after my last post saying I never had any issues, I was listening to The Substitution Order. I liked the book but there were at least 4 times where a sentence was repeated. In the old cassette and CD days sometimes a sentence was deliberately repeated, appearing at the end of one CD or tape and again at the beginning of the next to confirm you were in the right place. But in digital format, this seems to be sloppy editing.

message 6: by Patty (new)

Patty | 1 comments I had the problem back a few years ago of a missing chapter. It was Drums of Autumn and because I had already read and listen to the book on CD's and knew the book. I was missing the chapter about the bear attack. At first when I reported it I did not feel that Audible believed me but finally after reporting it 2 or 3 times they fixed it. I have not had any issues since then, but how do I know. If it had been my 1st time listening to the book you could not tell anything was really missing, something seemed off like I missed something.

message 7: by Doug (new)

Doug (lakeman) | 71 comments I was immersion reading a Larry McMurtry book in the "Lonesome Dove" series and it was extensively modified from the text of the hardcover I had in my hands. I figured it was purposeful editing because it cut some lewd scenes and I didn't report it. I can't remember if it was Lonesome Dove that had the editing or one of the sequels.

On the other hand, The Once and Future King had large sections that were not in my paperback print book. I double checked the kindle edition by checking it out from the library and those sections were not in that either, just in the Audible audiobook.

I immersion read most of what I read and generally the Audible versions are pretty accurate to the original text. Individual narrators may change up word structure or omit lines here and there, but that is the performance and not a file error.

message 8: by L J (new)

L J | 284 comments Doug wrote: "...I immersion read most of what I read and generally the Audible versions are pretty accurate to the original text. Individual narrators may change up word structure or omit lines here and there, but that is the performance and not a file error."

I like to immersion read when feasible and I've noticed some of that. Don't know if it's still the case but years ago narration could be done from proof copy of book so there were minor changes due to final edit when the book was actually printed. Sometimes the narrator spotted and reported problems with the text.

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric (theangrywelder) | 1 comments Robin wrote: "Well, only a few days after my last post saying I never had any issues, I was listening to The Substitution Order. I liked the book but there were at least 4 times where a sentence ..."

I think the digital versions of older books are versions that were "ripped" from the cd or tape version of the audiobook and that's why there are repeated sentences.