Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

General > A Community Spreadsheet

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mahi (last edited Dec 11, 2020 10:30PM) (new)

Mahi | 83 comments Our 2020 Spreadsheet!
Our 2021 Spreadsheet!

Original Post

I was just looking at the community spreadsheet for the ATY challenge and thought it would be fun to have one for Popsugar. What do you all think?

I apologize if this has been discussed before and not implemented for reasons I haven't thought of.

(I volunteer to make and maintain it if it's unnecessary extra work for the mods!)

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 10 comments Wow, that's amazing.

message 3: by Ira (new)

Ira | 29 comments I think that's a great idea.

message 4: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1073 comments I love seeing my progress on the ATY spreadsheet so I'd definitely use a Popsugar community one.

message 5: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5348 comments Mod
You can certainly create a community spreadsheet if you wish. I’m not sure if it will be as effective in this group, because this is a BIG group, much larger than AtY, and it might get out of hand. Admin Sara and I won’t be able to help you out, so you all are on your own with it. May the odds be ever in your favor ... :-)

message 6: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 83 comments I went ahead and made a spreadsheet, heavily based off of the ATY one. I would love for people to use it!

message 7: by Britany (new)

Britany | 646 comments Love this! I participated - thanks Mahi!

message 8: by Kee (new)

Kee | 4 comments Thanks for putting this together! I do love a good spreadsheet! :)

message 9: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Ellwood (jpellwood) | 227 comments I love this!

(I had to skip a column, because it was acting weird.)

message 10: by Kerry (new)

Kerry G (rokrchik) | 5 comments I love this! Thank you for doing it :)

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat (theceilidhgirl) | 7 comments TY

message 12: by Gina (new)

Gina | 21 comments Cute! Is the idea that we're putting only completed reads here?

message 13: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (joanna_g) | 58 comments Awesome, thanks! I joined in.

message 14: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 83 comments Gina wrote: "Cute! Is the idea that we're putting only completed reads here?"

Yep! We're essentially comparing our progress through the challenge. You can use the 2020 planning thread or use a personal spreadsheet if you want to include planned books :)

message 15: by Szilvia (new)

Szilvia | 6 comments Great initiative - I just added mine - hope didnt make any mistakes

message 16: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 80 comments Thanks Mahi! I love using the ATY spreadsheet. I will definitely use this one!

message 17: by Shelbot (new)

Shelbot | 1 comments I'm just starting the challenge and this spreadsheet is amazing! Thank you for setting it up!

message 18: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 8 comments Mahi wrote: "I went ahead and made a spreadsheet, heavily based off of the ATY one. I would love for people to use it!"

I've been looking all over for one of these for Popsugar. It really helps me find books to read for a challenge instead of going from post to post.

message 19: by Leah (new)

Leah | 54 comments Thanks so much for making the spreadsheet.

message 20: by Anne Hawn (new)

Anne Hawn Smith (hawnsmith) | 27 comments Mahi wrote: "I went ahead and made a spreadsheet, heavily based off of the ATY one. I would love for people to use it!"

Mahi, I am late to this group and I saw your spreadsheet and would like it for my own use. Could I have the link?

Anne

message 21: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 346 comments The link is in the first post of the thread!

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie (katscove) | 2 comments Thanks for the spreadsheet!!

message 23: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 408 comments Chrissy wrote: "The link is in the first post of the thread!"

Actually, it’s in message #6. 😉

message 24: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 83 comments Are there any statistics you all would like to see added?

(I love spreadsheets so I’m just looking for excuses to do more with this one lol)

message 25: by Jill (new)

Jill | 75 comments I just found this promo about the spreadsheet and added all my books.I finished the ATY challenge last week and was kind of sad that I didn’t have any more challenge spreadsheets to fill out.

message 26: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Ellwood (jpellwood) | 227 comments Hey, my spreadsheet entry is gone! I am a bit upset. I only had 2 books left to finish the challenge. That was a lot of work to fill out, so I won't be redoing it. Not cool at all!

message 27: by Nadine (new)

Johanna wrote: "Hey, my spreadsheet entry is gone! I am a bit upset. I only had 2 books left to finish the challenge. That was a lot of work to fill out, so I won't be redoing it. Not cool at all!"

That is frustrating!!! I see a Johanna for the Fall Challenge, but only a Joanna in the main challenge.

message 28: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1073 comments Oh no. I did wonder if someone had been messing around as there's a column that appears to have jibberish in now.

message 29: by Melody (last edited Nov 17, 2020 01:24PM) (new)

Melody | 202 comments Johanna wrote: "Hey, my spreadsheet entry is gone! I am a bit upset. I only had 2 books left to finish the challenge. That was a lot of work to fill out, so I won't be redoing it. Not cool at all!"

Hi Johanna! I went into the spreadsheet edit history and I copied and pasted your items from October 31st version onto the current spreadsheet. You're now in row AC on the G-L page! That was the latest iteration of the spreadsheet I could find with your info, so hopefully you haven't lost too many books and it should be easy to add the last few you have for your challenge!

message 30: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (branlon) | 4 comments Can our spreadsheet cells contain hyperlinks to the books on Goodreads?

Like this: The Catcher in the Rye

message 31: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 83 comments Sure! You can whatever you want to your own column :)

message 32: by Nadine (new)

Melody wrote: "Hi Johanna! I went into the spreadsheet edit history and I copied and pasted your items from October 31st version onto the current spreadsheet. ..."

That is so cool!!! I didn't know you could do that with Google sheets/docs!!! we've got various share sites for work that save previous versions, so now that I know Google does it, too, I should be able to figure it out.

message 33: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 3086 comments Mod
Once I allocate only one book to each prompt, I'll post those on here. I imagine this may become unwieldy as more people post, but we'll see. I think it gives a very nice visual record of books read for each prompt.

message 34: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1073 comments Are we having a community spreadsheet for next year? I know it wasn't official but I liked having it this year.

message 35: by Nadine (new)

Ellie wrote: "Are we having a community spreadsheet for next year? I know it wasn't official but I liked having it this year."

I think it was a popular option, so we should!

I could create one, but I'm not a heavy Google Sheets user, I stick to Excel, so I'm not the best choice to lead this effort.

I don't know if Mahi is planning to do the 2021 Challenge with us.... If not Mahi, then you or Melody or someone else who is a Sheets "superuser" can step up and create one.

message 36: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1073 comments If Mahi's not around I'm happy to do it, should be pretty easy just to copy and update this year's.

message 37: by Mahi (last edited Dec 11, 2020 03:08PM) (new)

Mahi | 83 comments Hi! I definitely plan to make one for next year as well!

I'll do it sometime today actually :)

Should I make a new discussion/post or just link it here?

message 38: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 58 comments Possibly edit your post #1 with the new spreadsheet link?

message 39: by Mahi (last edited Dec 11, 2020 10:08PM) (new)

message 40: by Britany (new)

Britany | 646 comments WOO HOOO Thanks Mahi!

message 41: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 58 comments Awesome, thanks so much!

message 42: by Mahi (last edited Dec 13, 2020 11:57AM) (new)

Mahi | 83 comments Hi everyone! Please don't in any situation edit or delete columns that aren't yours!

And just to clarify the intention of the spreadsheet: everyone claims a column by putting their name in the first row. Then, as they complete books, they fill in the row corresponding the completed prompt with the book completed! This also means that you can't take more than one column because that messes with the statistics :)

Feel free to ask if you have any questions! And if you have any issues with your own column or you're just worried about it, let me know and I'll protect the cells so that only you can edit it (and me, sorry you can't get rid of me lol).

message 43: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 58 comments Thanks for the warning! I got deleted but luckily only my name was filled in. :)

message 44: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1073 comments Thanks Mahi!

I think people have just put their names in A-F without realising there are different tabs.

message 45: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 83 comments Yep that’s what a lot of people did last year too - I’ve just not said anything about it because the different tabs are just to prevent too many people on one sheet, they don’t serve any other purpose.

And I don’t want to move people’s columns myself because then they’ll come back and think they got deleted. Any ideas?

message 46: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmarj) | 1 comments maybe a note in their column so they can see it and move themselves next time they come to update?

message 47: by Heather (new)

Heather (hether_orme) | 8 comments Thanks for putting this together again!