SFF Hot from Printers: New Releases discussion

General > Buddy Reads recruitment thread

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 1630 comments Mod
If anyone wants to start a buddy read, announce your desire here and seek for co-readers

message 2: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Anyone wants to do Sisters of the Vast Black with me in mid February?

message 3: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 220 comments Mod
I can't -- I'm behind on my January reading which means my reading schedule for Feb is already full.

message 4: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments Sounds interesting!

message 5: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 258 comments Mod
Definitely interesting: I won't commit, but I might find the time to read this - it is under 200 pages, after all.

message 6: by Oleksandr (new)

Silvana wrote: "Anyone wants to do Sisters of the Vast Black with me in mid February?"

I do

message 7: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Great! Shall I create the thread or you want to do it, Ol?

message 8: by Oleksandr (new)

Silvana wrote: "Great! Shall I create the thread or you want to do it, Ol?"

You start it, I'll follow

message 9: by Kateblue (new)

Kateblue | 691 comments Mod
I guess I can join-I didn't even realize, but I bought a copy in November

message 10: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) | 83 comments I'm willing. But only if my reserve from the library arrives.

message 11: by Kateblue (new)

We can start when you say.

message 12: by Oleksandr (new)

The recent British Science Fiction Association (BSFA) shortlist contains a novel by Gareth L. Powell. His series is in the short list the second year in a row therefore I guess it is worth to sample his novels. I suggest reading of his Embers of War in April (for March in this group we already have 3 monthly reads + a Nebula nominee will be added, so that month can be too busy)

message 13: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I'll join in April if there's a sale. Been eyeing that one for a while.

message 14: by Antti (new)

April sounds good.

message 15: by Kateblue (new)

I read Sisters of the Vast Black and now I cannot find the thread where we are supposed to talk about it. (Ireally looked, Z, really--both here and in that OTHER group. So I will just put this here.

I loved it. Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 16: by Oleksandr (new)

Kateblue wrote: "I read Sisters of the Vast Black and now I cannot find the thread where we are supposed to talk about it. (Ireally looked, Z, really--both here and in that OTHER group. So I will ju..."

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 17: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) | 83 comments Oleksandr wrote: "The recent British Science Fiction Association (BSFA) shortlist contains a novel by Gareth L. Powell. His series is in the short list the second year in a row therefore I guess it ..."

At present I am reading (listening to) Embers of War. I recommended that my library buy it, and they did - sent it to me. Thought I should read it now, before they take it back.

It is excellent. Very, very good. The audiobook has different actors for different characters.

message 18: by Oleksandr (new)

Cordelia wrote: "At present I am reading (listening to) Embers of War. ."

Thanks for the info!

message 19: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 33 comments Mod
I finished the audio of Embers of War a few days ago. I agree, it was very good, better than I expected.

message 20: by Oleksandr (new)

Allan wrote: "I finished the audio of Embers of War a few days ago. I agree, it was very good, better than I expected."

Great! Do you plan to continue with the next volume?

message 21: by Kateblue (new)

Z and I are starting a buddy read of The Number of the Beast and then The Pursuit of the Pankera: A Parallel Novel About Parallel Universes.

Don't know the schedule exactly but you all are are welcome to join. I will be starting Number of the Beast probably tomorrow evening because I have to finish one more (quick) book first.

message 22: by Kateblue (new)

Z, I was going to start a Buddy Read thread for NotB and PotP, but then I realized, there is not a folder for Buddy reads. I am not going to try to create a Buddy Reads folder because when I tried to make a Novellas folder I failed and it is still in the general folder.

I just don't know how to make a folder.

So if you want to, can you make a buddy reads folder and then I will make threads for the two heinlein books?

Thanks

message 23: by Cordelia (last edited Mar 27, 2020 04:39PM) (new)

Cordelia (anne21) | 83 comments I can join you for the "Beast". But not the other one - cant find it at the moment.

I will need a couple of days though. Am reading "Revelation Space" at present. And it is really big.

message 24: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 552 comments Would anyone be interested in reading The Rage of Dragons with me in a about a month or two? I have a couple friends who are giving it rave reviews and the second in the series is coming out in November, The Fires of Vengeance.

message 25: by Oleksandr (new)

I plan to read The Oppenheimer Alternative in the nearest days. Is anyone willing to join?

message 26: by Kateblue (last edited Jan 19, 2021 07:28AM) (new)

I have a copy, (and I love Robert Sawyer) but I have several other books to read this month.

Just tell me when you are starting, and I will have to decide if I have time then. Sorry!

message 27: by George (new)

George (leithe) | 58 comments I am interested. I ordered a copy, but cannot start until next week. Finishing Fate of the Fallen now and then Attack Surface will follow. I can cue it up after that.

message 28: by Oleksandr (new)

I guess I'll start early next week

message 29: by Kateblue (last edited Jan 19, 2021 12:43PM) (new)

I have Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock #3) to start tomorrow
and then Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels #4) to start the next day.
And then I have A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking on the 28th
and then KD#4.5 Magic Dreams (Kate Daniels #4.5) on the 31st

All of these are ahead of The Oppenheimer Alternative in the "I promised someone" and also in the "I really wanna read these and they have been on my list for years" categories

If I get the first two done by the 25th or the 26th I will try to join. Putting on calendar. But have other things to do as well. Like making dinner and stuff, you know, life?

message 30: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 552 comments Hey all, I'm planning to read through the Hugo and Nebula nominations for novelette and am thinking I'll read one per week. Anyone want to join me? If so I'll start a buddy read thread.

message 31: by Antti (new)

I'll join for the Hugo nominees, at least (I have a tradition to read all the Hugo-nominated short works).

message 32: by Oleksandr (new)

I will

message 33: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments I've already read most of the Hugo's, but I will join for the rest.

message 34: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 552 comments Great! I'll set up a thread!

message 35: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 143 comments Anyone interested in an October buddy read of The Hidden Palace?

message 36: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 552 comments I would like to eventually read that one, but I haven’t read the first one yet and don’t think I’ll be able to get to it for a while.

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 56 comments That might line up fir me - depending on library holds and the other patrons … I should check what number I am …

message 38: by Kateblue (new)

Yes, I have not finished The Golem and the Jinni either. No time for it until at least the middle of October. I have three books I am supposed to be reading right now. And then I always have at least 5 books to read at the beginning of a month.

Sorry

message 39: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 143 comments Gotcha, well maybe later in the year? I'd rather do it with y'all than alone. As always, I have plenty of books to read in the meantime!

message 40: by Oleksandr (last edited Sep 23, 2021 01:18AM) (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Anyone interested in an October buddy read of The Hidden Palace?"

I'm interested, in the 2nd half of October

message 41: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 143 comments Coming back to the Hidden Palace buddy read idea, anyone interested in giving it a go in December?

message 42: by Oleksandr (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Coming back to the Hidden Palace buddy read idea, anyone interested in giving it a go in December?"

Yes I do, after Dec 10th is ok?

message 43: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 143 comments sounds good!

message 44: by Oleksandr (new)

Rebecca wrote: "sounds good!"

I started the buddy thread here https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Join when you want

message 45: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 33 comments Mod
I'd love to read it but I've got no time to fit it in, with specific goals to try and reach.

message 46: by Oleksandr (new)

Allan wrote: "I'd love to read it but I've got no time to fit it in, with specific goals to try and reach."

You may join later, the thread won't run away (or at least shouldn't)

message 47: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 143 comments Anyone interested in doing a buddy read of Siren Queen by Nghi Vo later this month or early April?