2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2020 > Dave's 30 in 2020

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave Lawrence (davefromjerra) | 36 comments Trying for 30 again this year. I will post the books I read and my thoughts on each one.

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Lawrence (davefromjerra) | 36 comments 1. Side by Side: A Season With Collingwood

A book about Collingwood's 2009 AFL season. Some good behind the scenes detail, but a a bit long-winded. Ryan is a Collingwood fan and it shows in his rose coloured view of the club.

message 3: by Dave (new)

Dave Lawrence (davefromjerra) | 36 comments 2. By the Pricking of My Thumbs

A later Christie and not one of her best. The problem I have with it is that the whole reason Tuppence begins investigating seems incredibly weak and unlikely. Still I found myself reasonably invested, despite the implausible premise.

message 4: by Dave (new)

Dave Lawrence (davefromjerra) | 36 comments 3. Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid: Rowley Jefferson's Journal

We have been collecting the wimpy kid books since my daughter was little. I always get a laugh out of them, I particularly enjoyed the "good boy awards" Greg gives Rowley to get him to do chores.

message 5: by Dave (last edited Mar 31, 2020 09:14PM) (new)

Dave Lawrence (davefromjerra) | 36 comments 4. The Game of Their Lives

A book about Australian Rules footballers and the First World War. The football part is really secondary to the descriptions of the horror of the war. An interesting look at the social conditions and attitudes that existed at the start of the 20th century,

5. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

A tremendous novel about the Nazi occupation of Guernsey during the Second World War. Featuring a broad range of fascinating characters, definitely worth a read.