Play Book Tag discussion

Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)
This topic is about Mary Poppins in the Park
Archive: Other Books > [Poll Tally] Mary Poppins in the Park by P.L. Travers - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (last edited Jan 18, 2020 11:15AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Theresa | 6306 comments This is an entertaining collection of stories about the adventures the Banks children have with Mary Poppins when they visit the park. It opens with an absolutely perfect pen-and-ink sketch of the park full of whimsical detail from not just the stories, but the first three books. You even see Miss Lark's Willoughby and Andrew, Robertson Ay asleep, and the Admiral on his roof with his telescope. That map pushed my rating to 3.5 stars.

Delightful as they are, especially the last one set on Halloween, some felt a little long, dragging what was a charming fairytale down a bit. What was particularly sweet was how Mary Poppins herself is at times softer here. She is still stern, egotistical, and narcissistic, but there are many more softenings, hints of a smile or twinkle, and even real warmth.

But I think this quote from Michael sums up what is so appealing about Travers' stories:
I like you best when you’re angry. It makes me feel much safer

Karin | 6920 comments I prefer Mary Poppins as played by Julie Andrews :)