belletrist discussion

Salt Slow
This topic is about Salt Slow
Salt Slow | Book Discussion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The Artisan Geek (theartisangeek) | 2 comments I'm currently finishing the December pick Salt Slow and didn't see a place really where it was being discussed, so I thought I'd start a discussion here :)

I personally really am enjoying the collection! I love how Armfield manages to explore different female experiences through such a deliciously dark and eerie lens. All the stories so far have been really unique, yet their theme, atmosphere and the narrators' voices are very similar, which I think is great because to me that is what connects these stories and solidifies them as a collection.

What I'm especially interested in hearing about from others is what their favourite stories were and how they felt about the characters.

My favourites so far are Mantis and The Collectables, both very morbid haha - but I really enjoyed how the stories unravelled in the end.

Jewel (jewelporter) | 1 comments Happy to see some activity in this group. Salt Slow was fantastic.

Something I really liked about Salt Slow was that I found it challenging to sit down and read all at one time. This collection allowed me to take time as I moved through it. I agree with you, I think every story is unique and has the perfect amount of dark humor.

I also liked Mantis - the ending was oh-so feminist and the schoolgirl narrator was charming. I enjoyed The Great Awake the most, though. That story felt so atmospheric and real-time. The characters all felt extremely run-of-the-mill, in the best way. Those two have stuck with me the most!

The Artisan Geek (theartisangeek) | 2 comments Jewel wrote: "Happy to see some activity in this group. Salt Slow was fantastic.

Something I really liked about Salt Slow was that I found it challenging to sit down and read all at one time. This collection allowed me to take time as I moved through it. I agree with you, I think every story is unique and has the perfect amount of dark humor.

I also liked Mantis - the ending was oh-so feminist and the schoolgirl narrator was charming. I enjoyed The Great Awake the most, though. That story felt so atmospheric and real-time. The characters all felt extremely run-of-the-mill, in the best way. Those two have stuck with me the most!"

I know exactly what you mean, I've been taking my time with the stories as well - it's been great!

I also felt the same way about the main characters. I feel like they could have all been the same person, but in different universes if that makes sense? I'm excited to read more of Armfield's work when it comes out, would love to compare it (the writing style in particular) to Salt Slow.