#ClassicsCommunity 2021 Reading Challenge discussion

Buddy Reads > Lets Discuss: The Mysterious Affiar at Styles (Spoilers!)

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) I'm really liking this book so far and have many thoughts and theories. It's the first Poirot book that I've read that I' liking! :)

Now let's discuss chapters 1-6

1: Is this your first Agatha Christie book?

2: The 6 points of interest that Poirot lays out were interesting - do you feel they are all equally important or do you feel one or more have more importance in solving the murder?

3: Mr Inglethorp maintains his innocence from buying the strychnine poisoning and from having the fight with this wife - Do you believe him?

4: Do you have any thoughts on who you think might be the killer ?

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) 1: It isn't my first Agatha Christie but it is the first Poirot book I have read that I like! :)

2: I found the 6 points of interest important I think they will all tie in together in the end. Not sure if any one is more important than the other. I will find it interesting if these are what helps Poirot find who killed Mrs Inglethrop

3: I'm not sure yet, he did point out that the doctor that other's thought was a bit off looks similar to him Dr Bauerstein.

4: I have a few thoughts but I'm not set on any 1 person yet. Still awfully early for me and Agatha Christie usually always throws a big curve ball half way through that throws all my theories out the window! :)

message 3: by Nada (new)

Nada (nadaoq) | 112 comments 1- Not my first Agatha Christie. I've read some translated abridged works of hers when I was a kid and have since read 3 full length books by her, two of which were Poirot novels

2- I think all are of equal importance but I'm inclined to feel that 2&4 are a teeny bit extra special

3- I agree with Poirot in that he's innocent of the murder but there's something else up with him

4- Nothing definite, all of them are quite shady. Something's definitely up with Cynthia "The sound sleeper" and I have a hunch that the husband and wife Mrs Inglethorp was talking about are John and Mary, not Alfred and herself. Bauerstein is somehow involved and Miss Howard is a bit too loud and honest for my taste. But like Shannon said, Agatha Christie will sure find a way to smash all our theories to little pieces sooner or later. I have learned my lesson and now try not to think too seriously about it and just watch as things unfold :P

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Nada wrote: "1- Not my first Agatha Christie. I've read some translated abridged works of hers when I was a kid and have since read 3 full length books by her, two of which were Poirot novels

2- I think all ar..."

I agree I also wonder if 1 is of importance. I mean how does one grind a coffee cup to powder. I mean I know tea cups are fragile but I've never made mine powder by dropping and stepping on it.

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) V i c k s wrote: "1-This is my first book by her,im also kinda new into this whole mystery genre but Im really enjoying it so far
2-I think they are all going to be important at the end,but point 4 called my atentio..."

Yes I think either several are in on it. Or several know what happened and are covering which is the same thing I guess.

The husband is shady but maybe it was just an affair he is being weird about??

I know the green fabric keeps being brought up.

message 6: by Nada (new)

Nada (nadaoq) | 112 comments Shannon wrote: " I also wonder if 1 is of importance. I mean how does one grind a coffee cup to powder. I mean I know tea cups are fragile but I've never made mine powder by dropping and stepping on it"

Yeah there might be more to the coffee cup than just the murder trying to destroy the poison evidence

message 7: by Nada (new)

Nada (nadaoq) | 112 comments V i c k s wrote: "1-This is my first book by her,im also kinda new into this whole mystery genre but Im really enjoying it so far
2-I think they are all going to be important at the end,but point 4 called my atentio..."

Point 4 stood out to me too! Imagine if after all the fuss it ends up being something relatively trivial xD

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Nada wrote: "V i c k s wrote: "1-This is my first book by her,im also kinda new into this whole mystery genre but Im really enjoying it so far
2-I think they are all going to be important at the end,but point 4..."

I'm starting to think since we all think it's important and it keeps getting brought up it probably is nothing. :) hahaha I mean this queen of curve balls Agatha Christie after all.

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) V i c k s wrote: "That would be amazing! I was just wondering,what if the piece of green fabric is not a piece of clothing but of something else?"

It could be I mean what if it fabric from a napkin that hide the poison that was dumped into what ever she drank?? Then they slipped back in and got the cup to take the evidence with them, so it wouldn't be found????

message 10: by Erika (new)

Erika | 79 comments 1. This isn't my first Christie novel, I've actually read many (including Poirot, Marple, Tommy and Tuppence, etc). Surprisingly I never got to Affair at Styles, which I find funny as it's Poirot's debut!
2. #4 also stuck out to me, but I have a feeling each point will turn out to be equally important. I think Christie has a way of making even the smallest details tie in nicely to the mystery.
3. I agree with Nada: I think Poirot is correct in assuming he's innocent, but there's something off here. This feeling intensified for me during the inquest (he can't remember? He thinks he was out walking? etc)
4. Not at this point. There's a lot of suspicious behavior and reactions, but from quite a few people, so I haven't narrowed it down yet.

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Erika wrote: "1. This isn't my first Christie novel, I've actually read many (including Poirot, Marple, Tommy and Tuppence, etc). Surprisingly I never got to Affair at Styles, which I find funny as it's Poirot's..."

I wonder if Mr Inglethorp is being slowly poisoned as well. Who stands to inherit if he is also out of the picture???

message 12: by Vera (new)

Vera | 6 comments this isn;t my first Agatha Christie novel. I' ve read Ten little Indians (Yes I know , but that was the title in the greek edition a few years back) , Five little pigs, Cat amongst Pigeons, The sleeping murder, the Man with the brown suit, and two Tommy and Tuppence novels, but many years ago.
I actually think it's the husband, he sounds very shady and furthermore most of the times it is indeed the husband. I like to see where the six important things are connected with the murder or not.

message 13: by Nada (new)

Nada (nadaoq) | 112 comments Am I the only one who finds Hastings' obsession with Mary Cavendish super annoying? It's really getting on my nerves!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Nada wrote: "Am I the only one who finds Hastings' obsession with Mary Cavendish super annoying? It's really getting on my nerves!"

Very annoying!

message 15: by Erika (new)

Erika | 79 comments @Shannon that's a really interesting point. And if that were the case I'd definitely suspect John Cavendish (or maybe Mary or his brother...?) as I'd assume the money would then go to him, per the last will before the stepmother's marriage. @Nada yeah I don't understand why that fascination with Mary is commented on or part of the story, honestly. My thought process is, "that's your friend's wife....?????" haha. Plus she seems to be hiding something.

message 16: by Nada (new)

Nada (nadaoq) | 112 comments I couldn't control myself and finished the book just now and OH MY GOD I cannot wait to discuss the ending with you guys!!

message 17: by Erika (new)

Erika | 79 comments @Nada I have had the urge to binge read it and simply finish it as well, so now I don't feel as bad for that thought haha. Super excited to get to the end and discuss too!!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Read on till end!! I'll start second discussion mid week of that's okay with everyone.

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) if not of :)

message 20: by Gia (new)

Gia Ah, now that's the sign of a good book! That is, when some of us can't put it down and end up finishing it, lol! I wanted to do that, but I held off, and now I'm still in the dark.

1 - This is my 3rd Christie book (I've also read Death on the Nile and Murder on the Orient Express)
2 - I think all 6 points are equally important somehow.
3 - I think Alfred is hiding something but I don't think he's the murderer; I think he's being set up. And, if he's being targeted this early in the book, he's not the one.
4 - I don't know who the murderer is but I'll probably be shocked, given your responses.

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Almost finished with Dear Wife and then I can finish this one. I'll post discussion questions tomorrow afternoon either way.

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Just finished Dear Wife ( really good) and Mysterious Affair! Wow!!

message 23: by library girl reading (last edited Jan 22, 2020 06:44AM) (new)

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Last discussion for Mysterious Affair At Styles: We will read The Sittaford Mystery for Feb.

1: Did your book have the deleted original chapter 12 before she rewrote chapter 12 for the book? If so did you read it? Do you think she should have kept that one instead of one that was published?

2: Had you guessed that Cynthia had been drugged the night of the murder to make it easier to gain access to Mrs Inglethorp?

3: Agatha is known for throwing curve balls and having red herrings in her books. Do you consider Mr Inglethorp this books red herring?

4: Did you guess who did it before it was revealed?

Thank you guys so much for reading this with me! It was so much fun and I can't wait to discuss The Sittaford Mystery with you in Feb. it's one of my favorites by Mrs Christie!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) 1: Mine did have the deleted chapter. I read it along with Chapter 13 again to see if it added anything different. I think both Chapter 12's were good and not sure why the original wasn't included.

2: I had thought maybe she was drugged but not sure since it was stated that she was hard to wake and seemed out of it having hard time standing and not very alert.

3: I do consider Mr Inglethopr a red herring she made us think he was doing something wrong but even Poirot wasn't sure of his guilt in the beginning or so he wanted us to think with the arrested now statement. I didn't even catch that till it was repeated.

4: I didn't really I was thinking Mr Inglethorp was doing something shady but wasn't sure what. Overall I was surprised as I read Poirot unravel the case in front of everyone.

message 25: by Gia (new)

Gia 1 - My book does not have the deleted 12th Chapter; I feel cheated now and very curious about what's in it!
2 - No, I never guessed Cynthia was drugged. I have a ways to go in my sleuthing abilities, lol!
3 - What is a red herring? I can figure it out, though... I did originally think Mr. Inglethorp was hiding something!
4 - I did suspect Miss Howard in the beginning but was too shy to admit this because it seemed so unlikely. I thought Alfred, however, was only being set up so I was shocked to learn he was guilty.

Great book! Fun reading this with everyone!

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Gia wrote: "1 - My book does not have the deleted 12th Chapter; I feel cheated now and very curious about what's in it!
2 - No, I never guessed Cynthia was drugged. I have a ways to go in my sleuthing abilitie..."

Awesome you figured one of the killers!! Great Sleuthing skills, Agatha would be so proud.

A red herring is a clue that is meant to be misleading or distracting. The first time I read an Agatha book I had to look up what that meant, because my friend kept saying it. :)

message 27: by Gia (new)

Gia Shannon wrote: "Gia wrote: "1 - My book does not have the deleted 12th Chapter; I feel cheated now and very curious about what's in it!
2 - No, I never guessed Cynthia was drugged. I have a ways to go in my sleuth..."

Thank you, Shannon! I guess I did figure out one of the killers... very cool! :) Thanks for the definition about red herring. I had no idea. That helps a lot to know that!

message 28: by Nada (new)

Nada (nadaoq) | 112 comments 1- My edition did have the original chapter 12 and I read it after having finished the story. I prefer the one Agatha ended up choosing because the original felt a bit underwhelming in comparison to it

2- I thought it a possibility but at one point I also suspected her of having faked it

3- I was hysterical with laughter when I read the part where Mr Inglethorp was exposed because I totally fell for Christie's ploy (yet again) xD

4- I did strongly suspect Miss Howard but in no why saw the Inglethorp reveal coming

I really enjoyed reading this with you guys! Can't wait for the next one :D

library girl reading (gidgetsbookshelves) Nada wrote: "1- My edition did have the original chapter 12 and I read it after having finished the story. I prefer the one Agatha ended up choosing because the original felt a bit underwhelming in comparison t..."

Yes I was wondering the same about Cynthia faking the fog of sleep.

message 30: by Erika (new)

Erika | 79 comments Sorry, I'm a day late, yesterday was very busy!
1. My edition did not have the original chapter 12, but I wish it had. What are the major differences?
2. The possibility of Cynthia being drugged did actually cross my mind, but I wasn't absolutely certain. @Nada I also started to think that she might have been faking at one point.
3. Mr. Inglethorp is definitely this book's red herring! The whole time I was thinking that because Poirot was leading away from him that he had to be innocent (at least, innocent of the murder. Like I said last week, I still suspected that there was something else going on with him.). I was also not expecting him and Miss Howard to be in on it together at all.
4. No! I was completely surprised. Which happens a lot while reading her books. I also need to work on my sleuthing skills, they are obviously subpar lol.
Overall I really liked this book. It's a little shorter in length, and I think that makes it a great introduction to Poirot and his mysteries. And I'm so glad I found others to read along with. Looking forward to the Sittaford Mystery!