Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Translated Language Challenge > Carla's 2020 Translated Language Challenge

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Last year, 21 languages. This year? Probably not so many.

1. Portuguese to English: The First Wife A Tale of Polygamy by Paulina Chiziane The First Wife: A Tale of Polygamy by Paulina Chiziane.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

2, Italian to English: A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome by Alberto Angela A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome by Alberto Angela, translated by Gregory Conti.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

3. French to English: The Last Brother by Nathacha Appanah The Last Brother by Nathacha Appanah, translated by Geoffrey Strachan.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

4. Persian to English: My Uncle Napoleon by Iraj Pezeshkzad My Uncle Napoleon by Iraj Pezeshkzad, translated by Dick Davis.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

5. Armenian to English: Survivors An Oral History of the Armenian Genocide by Donald E. Miller Survivors: An Oral History of the Armenian Genocide by Donald E. Miller. Although this book was originally published in English, great amounts of it are direct quotes from interviews conducted by the authors, almost all of them in Armenian and tranlated from the tapes by the authors.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

6. Inuktitut: Sanaaq An Inuit Novel by Mitiarjuk Nappaaluk Sanaaq: An Inuit Novel by Mitiarjuk Nappaaluk, translated to French by Bernard Saladin d'Anglure then to English by Peter Frost.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

7. Russian to English: The Life and Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin by Vladimir Voinovich The Life and Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin by Vladimir Voinovich, translated by Richard Lourie.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

8. Spanish to English: Poso Wells by Gabriela Alemán Poso Wells by Gabriela Alemán, translated by Dick Cluster.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

9. German to English: I'm Not Stiller (Harvest Book) by Max Frisch I'm Not Stiller by Max Frisch, translated by Michael Bullock (?).

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

10. Turkmen to English: The Tale of Aypi by Ak Welsapar The Tale of Aypi by Ak Welsapar, translated by W.M. Coulson.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

11. Kalaalisut (West Greenlandic)" Last Night in Nuuk by Niviaq Korneliussen Last Night in Nuuk by Niviaq Korneliussen, translated by Anna Halager.